U.S. Portfolio

Current portfolio:

YyOPbQF.png

I've updated the buy price of ERX, UPRO, and XIV.

The opening price of ERX, on 12 March, was 64,48 USD.
The opening price of UPRO, on 12 March, was 114,45 USD.
The opering price of XIV, on 13 March, was 22,75 USD.

Note: All orders are executed at the opening price, except in the case of the stop loss orders.

Last edited:
Buy price (Average price) of XIV = ((22,75*55)+(23*54))/(55+54) = 22,93
Start date (Average date) of XIV = March 13, 2013

Buy Price (Average price) of ERX = ((64,48*43)+(67,30*22))/(43+22)=65,43
Start Date (Average Date) of ERX =March 14, 2013

Despite the two negative trades, the first week of the portfolio was slightly positive.

The following stocks and ETFs reached the stop price yesterday.

Delphi Automotive Plc (DLPH),
DIREXION DAILY ENERGY BULL 3X SH (ERX),
PROSHARES ULTRAPRO S&P 500 (UPRO),
VELOCITYSHARES DAILY INVERSE VIX (XIV),
Kilroy Realty (KRC).

P4TBrF0.png

Things did not go well this week.
I will adjust my strategy.
I try to choose a certain strategy or another depending on how market moves, and the result obtained.

The market is still too overbought.
At some point in the future the market will come down.
However, the question remains as to when.
At this moment, I have technical indicators to point in one direction, and others to point in another direction, which means I need to be cautious.

Things did not go well this week.
I will adjust my strategy.
I try to choose a certain strategy or another depending on how market moves, and the result obtained.

The market is still too overbought.
At some point in the future the market will come down.
However, the question remains as to when.
At this moment, I have technical indicators to point in one direction, and others to point in another direction, which means I need to be cautious.

Hi Duarte, I dont want to criticise as I think there are some sound methods you're using. Question however is do you not think that risking almost 8% on your capital on any one trade is on the high side? even taking into account a stop, there are no guarantees

Hi Duarte, I dont want to criticise as I think there are some sound methods you're using. Question however is do you not think that risking almost 8% on your capital on any one trade is on the high side? even taking into account a stop, there are no guarantees

Hello malaguti,

I think not.
At some point in the future, I will risk more in an ETF.
In the current case, I use a stop order close to the current price, so, I risking only very little.

3/27/2013
What is the most common investor mistake? Trading–getting in and getting out at all the wrong times, for all the wrong reasons. You’ve heard it before: Most investors are their own worst enemies. My dad taught me this investing axiom at an early age. In fact, Dalbar Inc. documented it recently in a report available online called “Quantitative Analysis of Investor Behavior, 2012.” Google it, and you’ll see evidence from a 20-year study.

Most mutual fund buyers, for example, badly lag the very funds they buy (and sell) because of bad timing. The average mutual fund holding period for equity or fixed income is only about three years. It’s too short. Moreover, in the last two decades, stupid switching into and out of funds has cost equity fund holders more than four percentage points in annualized returns and bondholders even more–nearly six percentage points.

The solution, of course, is to trade less.
VIEWPOINT of Ken Fisher

I discovered that there was a rounding problem in EXCEL sheet.

To calculate the Return I used the following formula: (Quantity*Close Price)-(Money), but to avoid the rounding problem I'm going to use the following formula: (Quantity*Close Price)-(Quantity*Buy Price).

The rounding problem has very little effect on portfolio but I have also decided to fix the previous trades.

I realized that I get stopped out to many times.
The reason this happened it was because I traded a lot.
I will trade less, if I trade less, I get stopped out less, and my broker will get less commission from me.
At this moment, my technical indicators are mixed, so I'll not risk a lot.