Treason. Would the UK use Death Penalty.

fxmarkets

Established member
With regards to Muslim cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, on holiday at the mo and possibly likely to face treason charges if he comes back to UK (which he says he will do if the officials let him) can anyone see if a treason charge is found to be the case etc, would the uk execute him? I still belive acts of treason warrants? carries the death penalty here.

Any thoughts?

I believe that Treason in the UK still does carry the death penalty. However, how this would square with current human rights legislation I'm not sure.

Up until twenty years ago, we still had laws for adultery where the penalty was being hung in a cage in town square and being stoned! We still have a lot of ancient French Norman laws here that date back to the 1400's - don't know what that says about us!

I think the weight of argument regarding any human rights issue would be out balanced (by public demand) and the issue of the rights who have been slain. I suppose if you were the judge working to guidelines of the law then you'd have to lay your own personal feelings on it aside, and do your job.

I dont know treason law in any detail so not sure if negotiating for anything less than death penalty is an option even to consider. But worringly? I can see the event happening in this country.

The death penalty was abolished on 9th November 1965.

The death penalty was retained for the capital offences of treason and piracy with violence, however it was abolished in 1998 under the Crime and Disorder Act.

In 1999 the home secretary signed the sixth protocol of the European Convention of Human Rights which formally abolished the death penalty in the UK and ensured it could not be brought back.

Hmmm its a funny old world because the police etc can be judge jury and executioner based on probability that a crime (which may take life) "may" happen. So Bang Bang your dead or neutralised threat,whatever. So I cant see the issue that execution is against human rights because its policy now.

And if a killer kills as many as they can........... then surrenders, thats ok. you will not be killed because youve put your gun down, thank you. I cant see what it is yet but it doesn't sit easy within me... Its not the issue of taking life more of a practical one ie why create and pay storage space for them? why let them still be able to influence more of then same ie manage further acts of treason, isn't it negligence, failing to protect others from foreseeable and unreasonable risks.

Lordy lord..... help me accept those things I cannot change...

JillyB said:
I believe that Treason in the UK still does carry the death penalty. However, how this would square with current human rights legislation I'm not sure.

Up until twenty years ago, we still had laws for adultery where the penalty was being hung in a cage in town square and being stoned! We still have a lot of ancient French Norman laws here that date back to the 1400's - don't know what that says about us!

With a bit of luck he committed adultery as well :cheesy:

fxmarkets said:
Hmmm its a funny old world because the police etc can be judge jury and executioner based on probability that a crime (which may take life) "may" happen. So Bang Bang your dead or neutralised threat,whatever. So I cant see the issue that execution is against human rights because its policy now.

And if a killer kills as many as they can........... then surrenders, thats ok. you will not be killed because youve put your gun down, thank you. I cant see what it is yet but it doesn't sit easy within me... Its not the issue of taking life more of a practical one ie why create and pay storage space for them? why let them still be able to influence more of then same ie manage further acts of treason, isn't it negligence, failing to protect others from foreseeable and unreasonable risks.

Lordy lord..... help me accept those things I cannot change...

That is democracy. I am a democrat but I am not sure that it always offers the best solutions.
I lived twelve of my forty years in Spain under Franco. To be truthful, although I disapproved of his dictatorship, I was treated well, otherwise I would have gone home. I kept my nose clean and was never frightened of going into a police station or approaching a policeman. All I had to do was to earn my living honestly and stay away from politics. That was not too difficult for me to do. The Basques did not cause a tenth of the trouble that they cause now and if a terrorist did get caught he was for the high jump. With all the trouble that the Basque terrorists caused, they did not help to get rid of Franco- old age did- although they may say that they did. After that, forward thinking democrats like Adolpho Suarez and Gonzalez swept the old Franco team out of office. I can remember going in to the British Consulate in Franco's time and seeing posters warning Brits to "Keep off the Grass". There was a zero tolerance attitude to all that sort of stuff that is absent today. For the better? Who knows.

Split