Justified punishment

wasp

Legendary member
Bit of controversy for a Sunday....................

I think we should be more like the middle East when it comes to punishment. It would help the current overcrowding of prisons and maybe make UK criminals think twice....

Saddam sentenced to death by hanging

TEL AVIV (MarketWatch) -- Saddam Hussein, his half-brother and former intelligence adviser, Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti,.and the former chief judge of Iraq's revolutionary court, Awad Hamed al-Bander, were sentenced to death by hanging, media reports said.

The former vice president of Iraq, Taha Yassin Ramadan, was sentenced to life in prison.
Three Baath Party officials were sentenced to 15 years in prison and one was cleared for lack of evidence.

At the Iraqi High Tribunal, Saddam stood accused of crimes against humanity. In particular, he was charged with the deaths of 148 people in revenge for an assassination attempt on him. The death sentences and life sentence are subject to automatic appeal, CNN reported.

"Long live the people. Down with the traitors. God is great," a translator quoted Saddam as saying after he heard the verdict, according to CNN.

After the verdict, the Associated Press reported, Saddam's fellow Sunnis paraded through the former dictator's hometown of Tikrit, chanting, "We will avenge you Saddam." Shi'a areas celebrated the verdict, AP reported.

Before the delivery of the verdict, Iraq's government imposed curfews and canceled army leave on the prospect that the verdict would prompt further violence in the country, news agencies said.

Saddam's lawyers said he expressed readiness to die "with honor and with no fear," Reuters reported.

The administration of President Bush has denied claims that the timing of the verdict was connected to the timing of the U.S. elections Tuesday, Reuters reported.

The U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, said "closing the book on Saddam and his regime" was a chance for Iraqis to unite, the news service reported.

The verdicts come almost three years after Saddam was captured by U.S. forces and three and a half years after Baghdad fell to the U.S. effort to oust the Iraqi leader. End of Story

http://experts.about.com/e/u/u/u.s._support_for_saddam_during_the_iran-iraq_war.htm

"Much of what Iraq received from the US, however, were not arms per se, but so-called dual-use technology— mainframe computers, armored ambulances, helicopters, chemicals, and the like, with potential civilian uses as well as military applications. It is now known that a vast network of companies, based in the U.S. and elsewhere, fed Iraq's warring capabilities right up until August 1990, when Saddam invaded Kuwait "

Pity we didnt get any of the accesories to the crimes. Maybe next time, hey?

I think we should be more like the middle East when it comes to punishment. It would help the current overcrowding of prisons and maybe make UK criminals think twice....

You could always move to Iraq if you are not happy with the system in the UK :)

Saddam sentenced to death by hanging

listen, ones Proactive killing the others reactive killing. Whats the difference? Are people saying westernised governments of this world do not engage in the former?

Now people say ( :) )although theres been a lynching the hanging will not happen, no, this or rather the proactive killer in question here, saddam will be used as a bargaining chip to suit others political agenda's. And Termination goals.

So America's one-time ally has been sentenced to death for war crimes he committed when he was Washington's best friend in the Arab world. America knew all about his atrocities and even supplied the gas - along with the British, of course - yet there we were yesterday declaring it to be, in the White House's words, another "great day for Iraq". That's what Tony Blair announced when Saddam Hussein was pulled from his hole in the ground on 13 December 2003. And now we're going to string him up, and it's another great day.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/article1959051.ece

Good points TWI, and many I expect , are left to ponder why Tony Blair wasn't extracted from George Bush's hole some considerable time ago I respectfully submit.

TWI said:
So America's one-time ally has been sentenced to death for war crimes he committed when he was Washington's best friend in the Arab world. America knew all about his atrocities and even supplied the gas - along with the British, of course - yet there we were yesterday declaring it to be, in the White House's words, another "great day for Iraq". That's what Tony Blair announced when Saddam Hussein was pulled from his hole in the ground on 13 December 2003. And now we're going to string him up, and it's another great day.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/article1959051.ece

I, also, remember the same of Noriega. Blair should be careful with his friends!

Split

There's really only one crime..getting caught ;)
Bit cynical , I know , but certainly when it comes to nonsense like this it's justified. The Saddam's can basically do virtually what they like as long as what they like is also aligned with the needs of those who hold the means to punish. When such alignment no longer holds of course then matters take a new shape ,but let's not pretend that we are really talking about some notion of 'right and wrong' here. A life lost is a life lost be it at Saddams whim ,or Bush's , frankly I can't tell the difference so why not hang them both and throw in Blair for good measure. Not that he's quite as hypocritical as Bush ,but I just want to make sure he doesn't try playing that guitar again

Good points TWI, and many I expect , are left to ponder why Tony Blair wasn't extracted from George Bush's hole some considerable time ago I respectfully submit.

Which one of Bush's holes exactly ?

Need to be more precise here ! :LOL:

Last edited:
Hands up

;)
Trader333 said:
You could always move to Iraq if you are not happy with the system in the UK :)
Still - you could only be convicted twice of pick pocketing

Last edited: