Trading the US the Naz/Mr. Charts Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest Richard, AAPL moved over $2.50 after the gap-up at the open, and trended strongly for most of the day…..

Simple chart/indicator reading skills alone, watching price configurations/RSI & CCI divergencies/moving averages, could have easily produced over a $1 run….!

Regards

Attachments

• AAPL.gif
    AAPL.gif
    14 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
For those who like long term trading/investing, Warren Buffet has raised Berkshire's holding in CMCSA to 10m from 5m, dropped NKE from 6m to 2.5m and sold all 13.5m in HCA in the last quarter or so.
Richard

Nice trade on GOOG today.
Entry on first screen
Exit on second screen

The exit was triggered by reading level 2 MM and ECN behaviour and bid/sell pressures, T&S, momentum and the proximity of $200. It topped out very shortly afterwards just a very few cents higher. It proceeded to drop $2 in the following 20 minutes so I'm happy with my exit.
It's now setting up for a nice move again - I won't be long till it's above and holding $200, but short might well trigger soon.

A $6 per share profit in an hour
Richard

Attachments

• GOOGlong150205.gif
    GOOGlong150205.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 239
  • GOOG150205closed.gif
    GOOG150205closed.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 269
Hi Richard,

Yes, nice trade we both thought alike.My trade is on the Google thread.

Naz

Tnx, Naz,
The short was triggered soon after my last post as I mentioned it might be and I took another $2 out of it.
The market has been grinding away for nearly a year, but it seems to me it might be changing its nature again and I suspect there are some very, very good months to come for day traders who work like you and me. Intra day trend periods are clearly lengthening and moves stabilising with more persistent follow through. Exceptional opportunities ahead this year :)
Richard

Hi Richard,

You are right some of the intraday moves are excellent and are getting better.

Naz

Yes, also my fast early scalps are moving nicely.
40c per share profit in a few seconds on our old friend CECO
I'm going to wait for a few minutes till Uncle Alan has spoken this afternoon before I trade again.
Richard

Attachments

• first tradeCECO160205.GIF
    first tradeCECO160205.GIF
    11.7 KB · Views: 191
I saw the CECO news story pre-market and that put it on my radar.
It was then simply a matter of waiting for it to start falling, pause, then pounce as the sell pressure strengthened again, then exiting when the buy pressure strengthened and the sell pressure weakened.
This is what I call micro-analysis of the tape - buy/sell pressures, actions of different participants, level 2, T&S, momentum.
It might sound difficult, but think of charts as being maps with sections missing, news being radio road reports. It really isn't any more difficult than learning to drive then after some experience travelling on four lanes of the M25 in heavy fast traffic. Do the job properly and avoid the idiots on the road.
That's the way I scalp, anyway.
Longer intra day swings like that $6 profit in GOOG are different because the micro-analysis isn't strictly necessary, but does help and confirm timing.
Reading the market is like reading the road and anticipating what happens next.
With this type of approach you are not concerned with getting it right every time or getting the most every time you trade, you're concerned with consistently taking money out of the market day after day; sometimes a modest amount, sometimes a medium amount, sometimes a lot. Suits me, anyway.
Richard

I look at things slightly differently.As an ex scalper i still like to participate.However for me its business.I look at it like going to work.I know a dollar run is a days money.ie for the 500 share trader it's $500 profit ,for the 1000 share trader its $1000 and so on.

So in my initial trades i'm looking for my days money and that dollar run pretty quick.When i grab that dollar move i'm not going to loose it.Many times like today it can be done in the first trade.Sometimes like yesterday with Google it will carry on moving and turn out very nicely.Sometimes you get stopped out and it runs all day.Thats life.First and fore most you have to earn a living.

Once i've that in my account i can relax and start considering other things,maybe a little scalping or continuation moves.

First three trades today were +$1.14. -33c, +$1.03.........Total +$1.84.

Naz

Attachments

• s.gif
    s.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 190
Good trades as always, Naz :)
I was finished after the first hour for another excellent day trading ADBE and QCOM
When the market turns and sells off like that you're spolit for choice :)
Richard

Swapped my ISDN connection for broadband yesterday so I'm ready to go again. It certainly makes a BIG difference. Richard, I like your comment recently about the markets showing some follow-through. I hope to enjoy some of the fun with you.

Edward

Edward,
There are good consistent profits to be made even on a day like today, expiration day plus a long weekend. It can be hard work, though. I'm usually finished by 4.30 or 5, but kept on through US lunch time since I had a nice profitable trade which kept on running.
INTU +53
GILD +22
MERQ -10
MERQ +56
Of course when it's so slow you can increase position size knowing there is very little probabilty of really sharp moves against you before 7pm UK on expiration days. The cent profits are smaller but increasing position size means you still end up with healthy profits.
A good weekend to everyone,
Richard

On expiration will the price for options be based on the close price of the stock or the average price during the day?

Anyone else think INTC's a decent long?
Uptrend daily, although I'm a little worried that the MACD top will be lower than the one on 19 Nov (my settings, but the last couple of lows are in synch whilst this latest run up to $25 area the MACD is a negative divergence) on 10 min chart it look slike it's about to try to break above $24.05 or so again. Also currently running (10 mins) along upper Bollinger band, having some problems getting through it, with increasing volatility....

Dave

INTC and semi's to me are great buys, i've posted about them on traders-talk.com for some weeks now they are in a upcycle and breaking up one by one, I'm long in NSM, INTC, AMAT, TXN since early february

Right now I would think they are making a sharp correction of the big upmove and it could take SOX down to 410-420 next week before next move up starts, i'm not selling.

I'm looking quite short term, I want to see the recent top at $24.63 go - I'd want to see it go throught there without too much hesitation enroute $25. Continuing the dream sequence $29....<g>
More likely to exit at 23.50 or so if that last bar wasn't a sign of the two bar drop ending.

Four trades today so far
AAPL long for bounce off support on choppy day. Micro-analysis (level 2, T&S, market participant behaviour, bid/sell pressures, momentum) showed decent up potential.
AAPL closed when it fizzled out.
Just +2 (I don't like losing trades and try and avoid them by exiting if things go against me - or go nowhere - reading momentum helps hugely in these decisions)

Attachments

• AAPLlong250205.gif
    AAPLlong250205.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 188
  • AAPLclosed250205.gif
    AAPLclosed250205.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 171
XXIA short on Doji; micro-analysis showed up momentum lost and reversing with resistance building.
Covered after sudden rush down and support building killing down momentum
Profit +26

Attachments

• XXIAshort250205.gif
    XXIAshort250205.gif
    11 KB · Views: 218
  • XXIAcovered250205.gif
    XXIAcovered250205.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 219
INTU long after obvious MM shake out of weak hands at high with micro-analysis showing plenty of support building for up move
Closed when it lost momentum
Profit +37

Attachments

• INTUlong250205.gif
    INTUlong250205.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 220
  • INTUclosed250205.gif
    INTUclosed250205.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 196
QCOM nice and strong and holding just under the whole number with micro-analysis support confirming the chart support
Exited on approach to next whole number and what appeared to be weakening momentum
Profit +94

This is a total of $1.59 per share so for a 500 share trader +$795, 1000 share trader +$1590, 2000 share trader +$3180 and so on.

QCOM at the time of writing is hovering at 37.03 so there might be more steam left in it, but I'm out - it's US lunch time and after 3.5 hours in front of the computers I need a break.

None of the above trades were difficult just charts, patterns and reading level2, T&S, bid/support pressures, MMs, momentum.
Richard

Attachments

• QCOMlong250205.gif
    QCOMlong250205.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 213
  • QCOMclosed250205.gif
    QCOMclosed250205.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.