Trading the US the Naz/Mr. Charts Way

By the way YHA Boy, just because they are senior members it doesn't mean they are senior traders.

I am a legendary member but I am sure as hell not a legendary trader. :LOL: :cheesy:

However I am persisting and making pretty good headway.

Salty Gibbon said:
By the way YHA Boy, just because they are senior members it doesn't mean they are senior traders.

I am a legendary member but I am sure as hell not a legendary trader. :LOL: :cheesy:

However I am persisting and making pretty good headway.

I am sure you are being very modest ! ;)

The professional traders I know shamelessly brag about how good they are - but I am sure it is the quieter ones who have the most success !

I have not been trading long but I love it with a passion.
The opportunities to be successful are there on a daily basis - did you see GOOG rise $8 out of nowhere in the last hour ? Phew! my day job just does not provide thrills like that. (just wish I had taken a position!) but there is always the next trading day and the next opportunity.

Happy Trading :D

No, I am not being modest.

I am just being realistic and keeping both feet planted firmly on the ground.

My progress over the past 2 years has been slow but sure and I intend to prevail.

And yes, it would have been nice to have a bite at GOOG this evening.

Goog

Here is my short trade in GOOG , I missed yesterday's fall at around 5;30 but got some today at about the same time.

Attachments

• goog.JPG
    goog.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 215
  • goog2.JPG
    goog2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 194
Good on yer boy. I will not be posting for a while since I am marking exam papers and then looking forward to a break. Good luck to you all.....back soon:)

Mr. Charts said:
..but thousands of times I have looked at my l2/t&s screens and known in advance whether a break out was going to succeed or fail as a result.
In other words, as well as providing me with extra profits, it has kept me out of trades which would have gone wrong had I not seen what was likely to happen on my l2/t&s screen.

Hi RIchard,
L2 is only for stocks, right? Do you ever trade futures? Are the DepthOfMarket and T&S as helpful to futures traders as they are to stock traders? Just asking because it seems like with L2 you can see not only how many orders are stacked up, but who it is and then see - did they really trade at that price? My understanding is that DOM lacks this detail.

(And then of course there is the instrument which calls to me like a siren - forex - and there is no DOM, no T&S, just pure price action and depending on which feed you use, - sometimes you get tick volume too.)
JO

Good evening, young lady,
I traded futures for a good while but stopped as I found stocks more intellectually stimulating and varied.
One of the aspects I found unsatisfactory about futures was the very limited use of DOME in predicting the probability of immediate future movement. Any tool or set of tools which enable the trader to anticipate that movement with high probability provides a priceless edge. That is simply not there in futures where what you see is the total number of contracts at different price levels without, as you rightly say, knowing who the players are, and, above all, not being able to see a particular player re-appearing on the bid or ask at certain levels.
I don't trade FX so I wouldn't comment. There is so much absolute junk on BBs from people who sound knowledgeable to beginners and know sweet FA................or think they know the other FA.
Excuse my language.
I really feel someone should only write what they know quite a bit about and not pontificate on areas in which they know very little. Otherwise beginners gain nothing from BBs but expanding their range of ignorance. They teach themselves from what they read and imbibe sewage. Then wonder why they don't succeed.
What a shame Newtron Bomb no longer posts on t2w. Now there is a capable FX trader who never said anything misleading or wrong.
Sorry to go on, but some of the currently popular threads on the open boards about FA are so full of garbage as to be infuriating. I'm not posting on them as I have no interest in confrontation and antagonism - I've got more important things to do.
Richard

BTW, JO, I see you have started a potentially extremely interesting thread on momentum on the open boards. You might even have tempted me to post there again. If I do and the usual nonsense starts, I will stop and post about momo here instead.
Richard

Mr. Charts said:
BTW, JO, I see you have started a potentially extremely interesting thread on momentum on the open boards. You might even have tempted me to post there again. If I do and the usual nonsense starts, I will stop and post about momo here instead.
Richard

Look forward to it ;)

I've already made a couple of comments and await the usual nonsense from the usual suspects ;-)
Richard

Surprise, surprise.
Straightaway ducky999 starts his attacking nonsense saying three times that I am writing "twaddle".
How predictable. And childish.
Why do some people have such a constant need for confrontation?
If anyone wants to constructively discuss momentum and exchange thoughts I'm happy to continue - here, not on the main boards.
Richard

I'll come in for bit of a discussion if it's ok..although my slant towards position trading means I may not see the issue exactly the same way a Naz trader does I suspect it's mainly a matter of differences in data that we are using rather than any conceptual difference ..but let's see..

Momentum ...a tendency to move in one direction ...

Energy...those significant points where the orders necessary to provide momentum will be found...

Signals...the data that tells us if those orders are going to be present at our sigificant points to deliver the momentum to give us ...a) a minimal loss ...b) a free trade ...c) a profit

Anyone wish to comment on the above and maybe add to it ? ..Richard ..i'm not sure how much you can add without giving away for free that which should be paid for ..

J.O.
I second Richard's comments about your thread as well as his comments about its hijacker who clearly has an agenda of his own. Sadly, such folk have no interest in intelligent debate and no respect for the views of others.

Richard,
"I really feel someone should only write what they know quite a bit about and not pontificate on areas in which they know very little. Otherwise beginners gain nothing from BBs but expanding their range of ignorance".
With the above quote in the forefront of my mind, the following comment is offered as a suggestion only - and one which you may care to comment on. ;)
My understanding of the way you and Naz trade is roughly as follows:
1. You each have chart patterns that you favour which are often (but not always) linked to a story about the stock in question - e.g. broker upgrade, earnings report or new product/service etc.
2. Your experience tells you that a price movement of some sort is likely to occur - either up or down and sometimes in both directions - from which you can extract a profit.
3. The force (read momentum) and direction of the impending price movement is dictated by the extent of buying pressure, evidenced by the number of buyers at the ask or, conversely, selling pressure, evidenced by the number of sellers at the bid.
4. As the pressure builds up, orders get filled, momentum cranks up and the price starts to move. At this point, your skill and that of Alan is to ensure two key things:
A. That your order is at the head of the queue and is filled early on knowing that there are a lot of other traders who think as you do and want a slice of the same action. (Safety in numbers).
B. That as momentum starts to fade towards the end of the move, there are still a few late comers at the back of the queue to sell to (assuming a long position, obviously).

The bug bear for us mortals is that you and Alan make this process look and sound so simple which, for many of us and me in particular, it ain't. :D

Tim.

Thanks for the imput, chump.
Obviously anything I say is merely my opinion, but is it based on years of experience and works for me and many others I have been in contact with.
There are many ways to trade and invest. This is only one of them.

I'm going to paste in the comments I made on JumpOff's Momentum thread, so anyone interested doesn't have to go searching for it.

"This might be a very promising thread, JO.
Let's hope we can have some intelligent exchange of thoughts without the usual degeneration and personal attack nonsense.
Yes, there is a certain self-righteous element which thinks momentum trading,(MT), is something to sneer at and deprecate. Those people are either failures at it or don't understand it. They regard it as "impure". A sort of snobbery. Something to smile at.
As you obviously understand, in most trading and investing, except some options strategies, movement is a pre-requisite of success. Momentum can be regarded as on going movement. It is not acceleration.
Now that definition can be debated, but what is absolute is that movement properly read and traded produces profits in whatever timeframe. I do not use any momentum indicators. In my view the reading of price and its movement and the behaviour of market participants is all. Volume is secondary, though often a useful adjunct.
I find little to disagree with in your post, JO, though I would say that investing using FA only still requires momentum (on going movement) to be profitable, even if that momentum presents as a series of fits and starts.
The only other thing where my personal view differs from yours is that although the accepted view is that charts are fractal, in the day to day business of trading some patterns work better in different time frames. I mean patterns and indicators. Those widely used indicators are, imho, not great ways of trading. Not useless, just inadequate. What matters is understanding what is happening in the market, not necessarily the "why", though intellectually that is preferable, but the "how" and the mechanisms to profit from those moves.
The ability to see momentum developing before or as it starts and to see its demise within a certain time scale before it appears on a chart, provides one of the main ways I trade and earn my living.
For me, momentum = movement = profits.
Trading on momentum means that most of the time the trade goes into immediate profit and that provides the cushion which prevents losses the vast majority of the time - provided exits are timely and the position is actively managed. That active management means not only that losses are infrequent but that the extraction of profits from on going momentum trades is maximised very efficiently.
A reasonable analogy is the cable car system in San Fran. When you jump on as it starts moving and momentum builds, you know it's pretty unlikely it's about to stop and reverse. As in plunges down a steep hill and the operator pulls on that magnificent old lever brake, what do you do as it slows to a halt, you jump off. Don't you, Jump Off ?
Reading the future not required.
I'll tell you something else. There is a beauty, a purity, in trading on momentum. And it's much more of a sudden and a frequent pleasure than the pleasure of investing purely on fundamentals and being profitable.
Something else. It's like a force multiplier. A ground attack fighter that carries two air to surface missiles is fine. But one which carries eight missiles, returns to base and can turn around and be airborne again very quickly is far more effective.
Momentum trading is very similar, you don't have to sit around with your assets tied up whilst nothing is happening and you can gear your capital four fold if you wish.
As you say, commission costs are very small. You can trade 1000 shares of RIMM - a position with a nominal size of $70,000 for a total commission of $15. For that you need only $17,500 (under £10000) in your account. Once out of the trade you simply keep on re-using your capital.
You don't have $70,000 "at risk" in such a day trade. Your trading methodology might permit a maximum "risk" of 15c or $150 or 30c or $300. Not $70000.
That's really what momentum trading is all about for me.
Richard

Please note my comments about about some attitudes towards momo trading were in response to JO's comment,
"why is "momentum trading" bandied about as if it were an insult? "

Momentum is, to me, on going movement. Indeed, in one direction. Having said that, the momentum normally slows and pauses before it reverses. There are situations when price is bouncing between two levels of support and resistance and when there are opportunities to take advantage of that, provided momo appears after the bounce off a key level. This provides for tight stops and readable targets. Such an approach is profitable in ranging markets but not as much as in trending situations. I believe it is necessary to tailor the trading approach to the current behaviour of the market.

"Energy" and signals. I'm not sure I personally would differentiate them.
The fuel (energy source) for Nasdaq trading is sometimes, not always, the behaviour of market participants at certain levels. Although market makers can and do mask their intentions, they are usually readable with knowledge and some experience. They certainly frequently fake and deliberately mislead those who don't understand what is going on. There are rules I use which tell me with a high degree of probability whether the MM is faking or not. However, once that market maker behaviour is understood, the immediate move in stock price becomes apparent with a probability in excess of 85%
In that sense the fuel for the move and the signal become one and the same. This creates momentum and that carries you into profit the vast majority of the time provided you actively manage the position.
Very rarely does that momentum suddenly reverse and take you into instant loss. Sometimes it will peter out to give you only a small profit or occasionally a scratch trade. Once in profit you can manage the position to lock in some of those profits.
For example, let's say you see market maker behaviour plus strong buy pressure and weak sell pressure plus confirmation not only of quotes but actual trades printing off at say, $45.50 - as you rightly say I cannot go into detailed explanations of how I actually do that or the patterns I use.
All the fuel is there for an upmove to start. This is the best time to enter BEFORE it even appears on a chart, much less a TA indicator. Let's say momentum takes it up 22c to 45.72 (just like a car slamming on its brakes takes some distance to stop because its momentum is carrying it forwards) and then reverses so those reasons for entering the trade are now no longer applicable, indeed they have reversed and are pointing in the opposite direction. I exit the trade - why should I stay in a trade which is doing the opposite of what seemed probable? In such a situation I will be out for maybe a small profit of 15c.
In the very unlikely event of the momentum instantly reversing the moment I enter the trade, I simply exit immediately and sustain a loss of 5c or so depending on the stock.
If, as usually happens the fuel continues to power the move, but it seems to be petering out as, for example, price approaches the $46 level - which it often does with whole numbers - I'll exit part only of my trade at say $45.95 to lock in partial profits of 45c or so. If it hovers around then breaks through and heads north again I simply use my standard exit rules to tell me when to get out of the rest of the trade. That's what I mean by actively managing the position. Often this approach gets me in at or close to the beginning of the move and out at or near the top. Sometimes it gets me out part of the way through the move, in whole or in part. What it does do is to provide frequent and regular profits taking chunks out of trends and bounces time after time.
I will never say that I am going to stay in a trade regardless of its going against me until the price hits a certain stop loss level like 15c. If it's going against me, bye bye, lock in whatever profits there are or minimise any losses and simply move on looking for the next opportunity.
I hope I've expressed this clearly enough to be understandable. It isn't always easy to express something which is almost second nature and blindingly obvious to oneself, but is alien to someone who thinks differently.
Richard

timsk,
I was laboriously typing out the above long post with my two fingers whilst you were posting your message.
I will answer as soon as I can - today or tomorrow if possible.
Richard

Richard,
had I read that a couple of years ago it would have meant very little to me...but the beauty of acquiring knowledge is that you can take something such as is written above by you and you can then join up some of the missing dots yourself ...

I'm not sure actually just how much there is to say about momentum ..LOL..if I wish to sell a property and I stick a for sale board up on the front and find myself besieged by would be buyers I think it's safe to say that I could start jacking up the price (momentum) and when I start to run out of people looking to take the price higher then momentum has left the room....to me this is more of a logistical excercise that depends on experience with your instrument.......as you say Richard the rest is continuing to monitor that data which you call "trade management" ...I think this part is not given enough attention...focus mostly seems to be on 'getting in' whereas I think 'getting out' whether for loss or profit is probably worth at least as much attention..

Here's a downwards momentum move on ZION a bit earlier this afternoon. Simple downtrend in place and micro - analysis showed no immediate support and plenty of selling pressure so I shorted about two seconds before I captured the image.
Richard

Attachments

• zionshort.GIF
    zionshort.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 221
Covered when the downwards momentum died two minutes later for
+ 25

Attachments

• zioncovered.GIF
    zioncovered.GIF
    10.7 KB · Views: 211
Chump, I agree totally.
I gave a talk to 160 traders at Bloomberg in the City last year and started the seminar with a discussion of exits. To begin with I suspect they thought I was a little crazy and ****-eyed, but after two hours I think they were all pretty convinced that thinking about where to exit is possibly the most important thing in trading.
That's the way I stay in control - by having exit rules, (which the market dictates, not me), and strictly applying them.
It is true that although my personal trading is perhaps 90-95% mechanical rule-wise, the remaining 5-10% is discretionary in the sense that when a situation is 50/50 I'll maybe exit half my postion to lock in profits and wait with the other 50% and allow the market to dictate what I do next. Sometimes it's the "right" thing to do, sometimes it proves to have been the "wrong" thing. What matters to me is to take profits consistently day after day.
Richard

PS I should have said momentum makes trading ten times easier because you are going with the flow of the market and it carries you into profit. I traded only four times this afternoon and none of the moves were big ones, but they were all profitable - and that suits me fine on a summer's dog day afternoon.