Trading the DAX

I see this kind of comment sometimes:
"There is a lack of excess on these highs and remember that a new all time high (2011) has been made overnight and usually major top or bottom is not made overnight."

Does anyone know if this "no major top or bottom made overnight" rule of thumb also applies to DAX?

It's a mystery to me where they get overnight prices while the market is closed.

Trading hours for FDAX (DAX futures) are from 7:50 till 22:00 (central european time). DAX index is calculated by Deutshe Borse AG and is based on prices from the electronic trading system XETRA and can't be traded in a real market so far as I know - only futures.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, sorry for not participating this week, having being away for 2 months, I'd not anticipated how much I would have to catch up on, my other business commitments took over, I will be back trading from next Monday, hope your all bagging the points. Regards, Rob

Iam in, ive been trading it day charts for a while live, and looking at in intra day demo, along with 4 other markets with a view to trading intraday full time, cant figure out if I would be better with 1 or 4 markets to trade, 5 is too much for me.
Intra day I use 2 time periods, with entry's on a 15m chart, I've traded it live a few times but really iam just forward testing at the moment.
Iam all ears, well eyes actually.

Iam in, ive been trading it day charts for a while live, and looking at in intra day demo, along with 4 other markets with a view to trading intraday full time, cant figure out if I would be better with 1 or 4 markets to trade, 5 is too much for me.
Intra day I use 2 time periods, with entry's on a 15m chart, I've traded it live a few times but really iam just forward testing at the moment.
Iam all ears, well eyes actually.

In the absence of good news or bullish ECB statements I feel DAX will test 94-92 and ultimately 9000 support levels.

Europe still has a lot of problems and is being carried at the moment. US is over-hyped and over-valued whilst China is trying to manage a soft landing rather than a crashed landing.

Aeroplanes travel very fast and land softly.

Balloons travel very slow but always crash land, hence the basket.

So if theory of flight is anything to go by they should achieve a soft landing - choppy weather or not. :cheesy:

out for scratch again, maybe should've taken profits at 230pm ish on a fractel?, iam struggling with open returns and 1:2 type targets.
Yeah no Dino?

Good Morning Tar,

I hope you are well. :)

I have traded commodities, metals, and indices in the past using the exact same strategy, yet decided to channel all my efforts on forex, and trade only Cable now, however in my spare time, like over the weekend, as in now, still look at metals, and indices(sad I know, but maybe I'm a trading junkie now :LOL:).

The reason why I have stuck to forex is because I prefer to trade markets with high volatility/more opportunities during a working day. I'm sure you will agree that forex is the most volatile market, and Cable seems to be not so volatile in the forex grand scheme of things if that makes sense.

Let us take 4 examples of USOil, Cable, Dax and Gold. And now take a simple indicator like the 200EMA(I personally do not use indicators, and without divulging how I trade, and more importantly not wanting to know how you trade, thus I have picked a simple EMA that most know how it works).

Now trading a 200EMA bounce, or break works over all of the above examples, and I'm sure some people out there do use this simple strategy quite successfully, so would it not be a case of succeeding, or failing depends on the persons strategy, execution, and how it is used, rather than the market that is traded.

I look forward to your response.

Best
John.

Hi John,
Why just one market, I understand the thought process, but why did YOU decide just cable?, iam trying to cut down the markets I look at / just trade 1?
AJ

Hi John,
Why just one market, I understand the thought process, but why did YOU decide just cable?, iam trying to cut down the markets I look at / just trade 1?
AJ

Good morning @Shadowman540,

I hope you are well, and are having a good day trading.

The main reason I've stuck with one market is because I am awful at multi-tasking, and having to thoroughly concentrate on a very small timeframe, means the time between entry seen to £/pip calculated to entry executed may be a 10second window, and I have found looking at other markets which all have a very different flow to them(IMHO) means concentrating on many different levels.

I chose cable is because as far as a currency is concerned it is one of the slow moving ones, thus preferred.

I would like to trade Dax also, but the things I do not like about it are the main move at 7Am is more of a gamble than a trade, as the spread is quite wide, also my broker has a mandatory>5 entry/SL criteria, so getting a desired entry is hard to do. I have e mailed them to ask, and I am awaiting a reply.

As you can appreciate many traders try to look at 10's of different currencies, but for short term scalping where utmost focus and concentration is required IMHO its better to get proficient at trading 1 before expanding and looking at others.

HTH.

Best
John

Good morning @Shadowman540,

I hope you are well, and are having a good day trading.

The main reason I've stuck with one market is because I am awful at multi-tasking, and having to thoroughly concentrate on a very small timeframe, means the time between entry seen to £/pip calculated to entry executed may be a 10second window, and I have found looking at other markets which all have a very different flow to them(IMHO) means concentrating on many different levels.

I chose cable is because as far as a currency is concerned it is one of the slow moving ones, thus preferred.

I would like to trade Dax also, but the things I do not like about it are the main move at 7Am is more of a gamble than a trade, as the spread is quite wide, also my broker has a mandatory>5 entry/SL criteria, so getting a desired entry is hard to do. I have e mailed them to ask, and I am awaiting a reply.

As you can appreciate many traders try to look at 10's of different currencies, but for short term scalping where utmost focus and concentration is required IMHO its better to get proficient at trading 1 before expanding and looking at others.

HTH.

Best
John

Hi John,
Thanks for that it makes loads of sense, just need a little more patience, but still makes heaps of sense.
Today was ok, no entrys on the dax for me though.
All the best AJ

Stop giving us the damn runaround, this thread has been 5 months old and not ONE SINGLE trade call has been made...

Sorry, I'd just spent a whole bunch of time reading Forexmospherian's live call thread which was a load of smoke and mirrors, then finding another dud in this one was annoying.

I'm new to this forum, which are the good threads for live calls?

Total rubbish from myattitude - who seems to have an attitude problem

I dont reckon you have read 10 pages

If you are another disser - or an old one reincarnated - well just forget it mate - you have got no chance - and thats me being nice ;-)

Will be doing more live calls - in advance of moves - with stops from 3-7 pips - with possible targets - this week - again - just like the other 50+ weeks just don't expect to be spoon fed.

PS - I dont sell anything - I make my money from FX Intraday trading

PPS - If you are a newbie with less than say 18 months of FX trading experience - then I don't recommend you even try and copy my method - its just not simple - and its not easy

OK

Regards

F

I'm new to this forum, which are the good threads for live calls?

the only thread makig genuine live calls where one posts there position after making a trade (as opposed to giving levels for possible trades which can be wriggled out of if they don't work! ;))is in this thread:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/indices/120172-anyone-scalping-ftse-futures.html

Metrader and Dinos are probably the best traders on the forum. Both haven't posted much in a good few weeks though, so the thread is abit dead on the 'live calls' at the moment, it has to be said.
Jessie_trader is almost single handedly keeping the tradition of 'live calls' alive at the moment!