Trading Marks and Spencer options

belinea03

28 0
Since Phil Green launched his take-over bid for M&S I've been trying to get into the action using options. I've had no joy!!! Looking on the LIFFE site as well as ADVFN I can't get info relating to the greeks, IV or charts showing historical levels. Can someone point me in the right direction???

belinea03

28 0
Eventually placed the Sept04 360/390 Bear Call Sprd for 7.5p credit. With the stock plummeting after Phil withdrew his bid the spread should be looking good.

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,394 1,170
The right direction?

If you're into options - sell them - don't buy them.

Forget M&S - the world and his wife...

belinea03

28 0
Bramble,

I was always bearish on Phil's prospects and used the opportunity to set up a bearish spread when the stock was near its peak and IV was high. If I hold til Sept04 expiration I'll make 33.3% on my risk capital. As IV collapses I may unwind the position sooner.

Separately, I wouldn't invest in M & S for love nor money, however, I would trade the stock or option. I buy or sell options depending on the strategy I choose to play. Sometimes it's good to be a seller other times it's better to be a buyer. What concerns me most is the lack of liquidity in the chain.

Robertral

446 4
TheBramble said:
The right direction?

If you're into options - sell them - don't buy them.

Forget M&S - the world and his wife...

Why always sell them???? amazing

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,394 1,170
belinea03 said:
RR, IMMSM????
RR=RobertRal
IMMSM=If My Memory Serves Me

Robert always queries my 'take' on options in that I maintain you have a 1:7 chance of making money buying the blighters.

Given that as traders we would appreciate being on the 'right' side of the probability curve, I'd always favour selling them.

Just a personal opinion.

Last edited:

Robertral

446 4
belinea03 said:
I see. Sorry, but I don't share your views on options for all the reasons you would have heard before.

I'm with you man......

Robertral

446 4
belinea03 said:
Robertral,

Do you think we need to educate Bramble on the finer points of options trading :cool:

Nar, leave him to his own devices.......he's a good lad.......but needs a bit of education with regards to return distributions :D

TheBramble

Legendary member
8,394 1,170
belinea03 said:
Robertral,

Do you think we need to educate Bramble on the finer points of options trading :cool:
Absolutely! I'll take all the help I can get!

Robertral said:
Nar, leave him to his own devices.......he's a good lad.......but needs a bit of education with regards to return distributions
Wrong!!! I need A LOT of education.

Spent 4 years trading options almost always on the buy side and never could work out, even when I got it right, why I wasn't making as much as I should. Read everything I could get my hands on. Took the courses. The lot. Guess I'm just not built for options.

belinea03

28 0
The Sept04 390/360 M&S Bear Call (Credit) spead is doing nicely. Earned 22.5% on Friday's close. Sad thing is that was already 13.3% on day Phil withdrew his offer (23/9) and I had to wait almost 5 weeks to get the remaining 20%. Cest la vie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock