Trading cliches & expressions - the ones you really hate!

Captain Currency

Experienced member
The trading world is full of cliches & expressions, some of them are creditable but a lot of them are just cop-outs.

Here is my attempt at cliche bashing, feel free to join in

CLICHE: "No one ever went broke taking profits"

What it really means: "I've lost the last 2 trades and my confidence is low, my latest position is up +5, I'm feeling frightened and I dont want another loser so I'm going to take profit now"

Its not what you trade, its how you trade it.:confused: (i'm happy for you to think i know what to do in any given situation.)

Last edited:
The bend at the end of a trend is anything but a friend. (just made that one up!)

"Does anyone now anything about ....."
= preparation for a scam, when it is a newbies first post.

Investments can go up as well as down.
= your guess is as good as mine, now heres my bill.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance
= I got lucky. Off to polish my dice.

Douglas have this one on me........

You dont need to know whats going to happen next in order to make money.

I've been at it all this time, all those years, all that money and I still have no idea what the ****'s going on in the markets.Even though I talk on physical non physical astral projections and my left nuts lined up with uranus and even though I throw more **** like that in, I still have no ****ing idea. But I ask all of you punks this... Is it god damn Un-American though..? Well punks is it?

peace. :D

"Register for our free trading seminar..."

= attend our two hour sales pitch where we will lie about profits we've made trading and get you to part with £2k. Where leverage is about levering the credit card out of your wallet and into our swipe machine.

"Technical Analysis (TA) - The study of market action, usually with price charts, which includes volume and open interest patterns. Also called Chart Analysis, Market Analysis and, more recently, Visual Analysis. " by John. J. Murphy

In layman's terms - spot the ball.

"Fundamental Analysis (FA) - The opposite of technical analysis. Fundamental analysis relies on economic supply and demand information, as opposed to market activity" by John. J. Murphy

In layman's terms - Guess where the ball will end up.[/QUOTE]

Yep trading really is a conundrum.

On few other subjects can there be so many people trying to sound like experts, wearing their PHD's on their chest etc. Perhaps this serves mainly to try and make themselves feel more secure with regard to what they are doing. I do not have a clue as to what will happen next :innocent:, and neither do they. But perhaps the key is having a good idea how you will react to any given situation as it unfolds....

I think i have a good idea of what works quite well, a reasonable % of the time in relation to the risk:reward.
However, every time i enter a trade, i get a small release of adreneline - which to me - is a good sign, as it shows that i am cautious, i care and i am not complacent. Once in the trade, i hope for the best outcome, and hope against the worst possible outcome.
I think it was Sugar Ray Leonard or someone from that era, who said that before every fight he would be physically sick through nervousness. During the build up to one fight, he was relaxed. He lost that fight, the one & only of his career, and decided to never box again!

Last edited:
Bulls make money. Bears make money. But Pigs get slaughtered.
= The problem of trading too large or too frequently.

'trade with money you can afford to lose

means...

you are going to lose, so make sure it is money you don't need for nappies

cut your losses, let profits run

have no problem with the first part, but I do with the second. for eg you had 5 losing trades and the 6th is in profit. what do you do? let it run until you hit you ideal target on the chart or cash it in to cover your past losses?