Can you really make a living from trading?

Some advice on the forum is to create my own system and do not trust Services (Based on systems created by other traders). I think this is contradictory, if I design my own system, why would it be better than a system design by a trader with years of experience?
Then my conclusion is that it is better to subscribe to a Trading Advice that give me experience trading, while learning and paper trading my own systems.
Even if I lose money with the Service, well, maybe I would have lost even more doing it by myself.
Just thoughts.

I am still in red, May seems to be the end of some big trends in GBP and in EUR that I was trying to follow. Shares are going down today, and I still don`t get it.

2 years full time?
Gosh, that`s a lot.
I hope you mean 2 years to be consistent, and no 2 years to be profitable.
At least I have survived 5 months.

2 years was the rule of thumb (early '90's) on the old LIFFE market; by which was meant "if you're still around after 2 years, you should be making decent money"

Trading Systems.................

To be honest I don't go in for buying them off the shelf. I honestly believe that a trading system is only 45% of what is going to get you to the finishing line. The other 50% comes from the man pushing the buttons and of course 5% to that lady called luck.

If you asked 100 people on here what their systems were, I am pretty sure they would all be different in some form or another, yet they all work. I know what I am looking for with the system I use, the more I use it the more comfortable I become. I have tried Stochastics, Williams % etc etc. They didn't work for me. That is not to say they don't work.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you create your own system, it is set for you (the 50% of a successful trade...you know the guy who hits the buttons) if you are using someone else's fine tuned system it is set up for them not you. I guess everyone is different, and their setup maybe higher risk than you want, takes more trades than you are comfortable doing etc etc...

I don't believe there is a short cut, and the amount your knowledge increases by developing your own ideas and systems really can't be underestimated.

I have only been doing this for about a year, so am not thinking of going full time yet..but I like to think that my own persistence and hard work will get me there, rather than someone else's

Interesting Post, thanks Ceydababy.

From the point of view of risk, I am diversified, since I have shares in US picked from one system, then I have shares in UK picked with a different system, then I am trying to trade Forex in a Intraday basis, and I am looking now into Indices Intraday.

I like shares since they are very reliable (well, at least this system is working). But I am normally nervious with the possibility of a crash. It has happened before, and nobody can predict them. Right now in Asia we have a big big risk of having a crash any day, or hopefully, a down trend after a Consolidation period. If we do have a crash, then I will lose almost a third of my equity, and maybe more depending of how CMC work out the stops after a gap down in the open.

Anyway, that`s why I am looking into Intraday Trading. I wake, work some hours, then close my positions, and have profits. With that logic I think is safer.

On the other hand, if my system is working on a daily basis, it should work in a 1Hour timeframe as well. If so, instead of waiting 40 days in average for profits (that`s my system`s statistics), I should only wait 40 hours in average, meaning that my money is better compounded.

Well, just thoughts

I will keep trying different systems and papertrading, because I have notice that my system didn`t work, but there`s people out there who makes profits everyday.

Keno

Please learn about diversification, before assuming your portfolio is diversified. Trading different instruments does not mean they are not historically correlated.

Interesting Post, thanks Ceydababy.

From the point of view of risk, I am diversified, since I have shares in US picked from one system, then I have shares in UK picked with a different system, then I am trying to trade Forex in a Intraday basis, and I am looking now into Indices Intraday.

I like shares since they are very reliable (well, at least this system is working). But I am normally nervious with the possibility of a crash. It has happened before, and nobody can predict them. Right now in Asia we have a big big risk of having a crash any day, or hopefully, a down trend after a Consolidation period. If we do have a crash, then I will lose almost a third of my equity, and maybe more depending of how CMC work out the stops after a gap down in the open.

Anyway, that`s why I am looking into Intraday Trading. I wake, work some hours, then close my positions, and have profits. With that logic I think is safer.

On the other hand, if my system is working on a daily basis, it should work in a 1Hour timeframe as well. If so, instead of waiting 40 days in average for profits (that`s my system`s statistics), I should only wait 40 hours in average, meaning that my money is better compounded.

Well, just thoughts

I will keep trying different systems and papertrading, because I have notice that my system didn`t work, but there`s people out there who makes profits everyday.

Keno

Have realistic expectation.

One thing most people do (myself inclusive) is to build a castle of unrealistic goals in the beginning. Start with the mindset to learn (as opposed to becoming a millionaire) then it becomes easy to consistenty follow the rules of your system OR any other system you might be using.