Trading and meditation

fxmarkets said:
No.... because the Dr. is A Mr. highlighting that at times, all is not what it may seem. hehehe youve been hoodwinking yourself that its Dr. how long ?

An obvious and potentially dangerous mix up. I personally wouldn't care for Mr. Spock giving me child rearing advice anymore than Dr. Spock telling me how to dispose of Klingons,

I was going to say the obvious is made to look obvious but its at times not what it seems..
But please continue....

what can or should I add to that ? hmmm but i ' like the idea of Mind melding in the markets.. title for a new thread there maybe..... not sure what content would flow into and out of it........

fxmarkets said:
good point splitlink, and keeping it on a trading connection, the best one? perhaps when we accept the obvious and act on it (even if we accept the obvious as standing aside etc) then its the option to use at that time . Holding in mind that the obvious is there, always .

hmm but if its not obvious, then its obvious ,that its not , yes but maybe its been an acceptance issuse aswell.... and what about learning the obvious or is it learning to be open to receive the obvious? .. :confused:

But we need to allow information in and enable the obvious to update maybe and accept that as a new obvious and again use this option.

What I get a sense of is being open to the possibilty that we can operate to knowing the obvious ,continually.

querie all the above of course.

my decision.

fx.

That was a profound post. I'm going to have to meditate on that this afternoon :)

Split

fxmarkets said:
I was going to say the obvious is made to look obvious but its at times not what it seems..
But please continue....

what can or should I add to that ? hmmm but i ' like the idea of Mind melding in the markets.. title for a new thread there maybe..... not sure what content would flow into and out of it........

Well let's wait and see what else comes along. A bit like waiting for the proverbial no. 42 bus I reckon.

Splitlink said:
That was a profound post. I'm going to have to meditate on that this afternoon :)

Split

"my decision."

Here split stop putting words in my mouth .......

I thought i was seeing things for a mo,,,,,,,, :)

hmmm who's decision ? did I leave it off ?

got it, you were testing my powers of observation...........hehe.

What do people observe? Do they observe what others...observe? Or do they observe what they want to? Psychology or sociology? What is the truth behind the single person?

swededemon said:
Out of 100 people...How many would agree...on anything?

Turkey.....

Oh, sorry, I thought that was a question from Family Fortunes..

swededemon said:
Is it? Probably suits you, blandpiper.

I think you meant suits you sir, or possibly, suits you Mr blandpiper, didn't you turnip?

What is thought? How do we think? Should we all be different? Should we all think the same? I put these questions to, Rols.

rols said:
what proportion of these 'wrong' trades relate to stupidity or ignorance, personal issues such as belief systems, or the plain inability to see the obvious. To the successful trader, the notional 10%, their idea of the obvious must be contrary to the others.

hmm I feel that is terribly difficult to give a difinitive answer to,if not impossible. I mean I understand that when we may of read, in market wizards (I recall) something along the lines of a trader frequently was unable to explain in detail (what it was they did ),sufficient for the interviewer to be able to comprehend.., and I do not mean this as an assumed put down on the interviewers anticipated comprehension on the traders part, but more of the trader just recognising maybe that "how can I define my perception on these things" "how can I give this to you or anyone......? "

I'm assuming thats how they felt, and the traders being interviewed perhaps used an approached that may of relied heavily on intuition(to confirm the price behaviour in view, thats the best way I can put it ,for now) or as Brett Steenbarger suggested ,which is also interesting ,that "The subconscious mind is a quant" suggesting that exposure to thousands of experiences of trading patterns will aid your mind to process and anticipate future price direction. (hmm didnt i just type something about how many births have we already seen in the market, in 7'ths thread?)

( http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18640 )

hmm and trying to answer your question or at least an attempt to probe inwards, how can we quantify something that is composed of an individuals experience. (insert unique thoughts,perceptions ,behaviour etc)

appologies if Ive made no headway......

a point on notional 10% you mention.., definatley , and when ive mentioned accepting the obvious ,its there, I mean , the obvious of the 10% .

swededemon said:
What do people observe? Do they observe what others...observe? Or do they observe what they want to? Psychology or sociology? What is the truth behind the single person?

I would say that we do not all observe what we are not trained to observe.

Police say that people are very unreliable observers and that witnesses tend to change the colours of clothes, etc.

We must all observe things, events, as they are but, almost immediately, our minds start to arrange and present details to ourselves that make them more acceptable, even seemingly unimportant details, such as colour. In other words, we see what we want to see, chart patterns that others cannot see become traps or opportunities to be taken.. This is, also, done to justify what we do so that mistakes are kept to a minimum.

Are we trying to whitewash our failures subconsciously, so as to present them in a more attractive way and justify them to ourselves and others?

So, yes, we may observe but our biases present things the way we want, not always the way they are.

Split

swededemon said:
What is thought? How do we think? Should we all be different? Should we all think the same? I put these questions to, Rols.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back to trading and the possible answer to how do we use the 'obvious' to become successful traders. I quote this post from Glenn on another thread - IMO worth a look
Glenn said:
"What stays for analysis, .."

1. Naked ohlc bar charts. No indicators whatever.
2. Occasional reference to volume.
3. The bid/offer price quotes from my broker.

"what is discarded?"
Everything else is 'discarded'.

"something within you allows you to succeed where many fail"
Only the fact that I accept (know from experience) that the above is all that is required.
I am well educated and can promise you that none of it is of any benefit in this game.
However this leaves nothing to discuss in the pub or on a bulletin board about trading because there is so little to it. You can't compare carburettors or superchargers or tyres or diesel vs petrol or Jag vs Aston Martin and gain anything worthwhile from it - it's just pub-talk.
Well educated people often assume that they have to intellectualise and use their superior brain power in connection with something as high-flown as the markets. But the markets are one place where this doesn't work.
You have to think differently.
Glenn

It's a simple cliche of modern advertising but is it obvious and/or true?
Think like the 90% and that's where our actions will take us?
Thinking takes us back to perception - IMO the key to all things. Our perception guides the cartographer in our personal universe which in turn leads us in the direction we think we must go. If the perception is skewed then the short trip to Easy street could land us in Calvary.

Meditation, Law of Attraction, etc.

ivorm said:
I find this a fascinating subject. And I have to say that it's one of the reasons that I've become so interested in meditation.

There are two books that I've read recently that have changed my way of thinking on the concepts of "manifesting your desires" and the "Law of Attraction".

In case anyone's interested they are ;

The Power of Intention - Dr. Wayne Dyer
Ask and It is Given - Esther and Jery Hicks

Of course, the ideas that your thoughts are responsible for creating your future and that you can manifest your desires have enormous impact on your success, or otherwise, at trading.

Anyway, I guess everyone has to make their own mind up about these concepts. But if anyone is open-minded enough to consider that there might be more to our reality than we generally think, then I recommend those two books, together with learning to meditate.

Regards,

Ivor

This is an excellent discussion. I meditate, practice yoga and Chi Gong. I consider meditation an altogether different and separate thing from creative visualization, or mental planning, etc.

I am also a big fan of Esther and Jerry hicks, Wayne Dyer, and others who have been influenced by them such as Michael Lozier who wrote the "Law of Attraction"

I am now discovering that there is another dimension to increasing the flow of energy in Chi Gong exercises. The ancient Chinese apparently knew a lot about this. By combining the flow of energy in Chi Gong, with specific visualizations, chants, and intention one can bring specific results into one's self such as increased knowledge of trading and the ability to know the direction of markets in the future beyond what the information technical analysis provides.

Anyway, to sum it up, I agree that meditation is an essential aspect of true success in any business and in life.

Living deliberately,

"What you are seeking is within",Rumi. We live in a wonderful time when so much information for growth is available from new teachers as well as the old.