Tradestation 2000i and Data feed

chris_ri

Hello,

In the past I've tried quite a few charting packages to work with my interactive brokers feed, specifically Sierra charts, Quotetracker, Amibroker and Tradestation 2000i. I'd settled on Tradestation using metaserver Rt. Now the backfill using Metaserver I've always found to be hardwork compared to how all the other three backfill from the IB feed without user involvement. Anyway it isnt perfect but I've stuck with it until recently I was offered a trial of Tradestation 8 (sorry I dont know if its available generally), this opened my eyes to how it could be with an integrated feed, decent backfill on demand and good tick and volume data. I'm not keen on subscribing to Tradestation 8 as I like IB as a broker (trading less than 500 shares the fills have always been good) and without the broker option Tradestation is just too expensive. Anyway long story short, the plan to improve things is stick with IB, but pay for a more complete feed (i.e. good tick/volume data and decent backfill with 2000i), currently the one in frame is IQ. Reading around the forums I've found a lot of people using 2000i with IQ via hyperserver from when it was available at no cost. This is no longer the case, so are there any other viable options or alternatives?. A more radical solution I'm also considering is dumping 2000i completely and moving over to quotetracker for charting and IB trading integration and looking for a replacement for radarscreen.
All experiences welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Hyperserver for TS2Ki is still available with great backfill facilities but it costs 96 Euros for a lifetime license but still worth it in my view.

Paul

Chris

As usual, Trader333 (Paul) is making a very good comment. I use Hyperserver and am very pleased with them. The support has been excellent and it does "exactly what is says on the tin"!.

Cheers

Steve

Paul, Steve,

Thanks for the replies, are you using IQ or IB through hyperserver?.
My original gripe was with the way I had to explicitly request a back fill update for one or more symbols through metaserver, this would work most times however If I requested multiple symbols during trading hours it would often result in errors from IB which would cause the backfill update to fail. This was particularly a problem during the busy US morning and afternoon periods. This never appears to be a problem when backfilling from Amibroker, Sierra charts or Quotetracker, however each of these would be ondemand (i.e. from the chart when the symbol is requested) one symbol at a time. Does Hyperserver suffer from the same unreliability and also do you have to create within Hyperserver a copy of your Globalserver symbolist (this is the case with Metaserver)?.
The second reason for my decision to change is a question mark over the IB trade and volume data, most of the time it seems fine and others the volume data has been quite different. Also having trialed Tradestation 8 and tried using charts based around not time put tick counts (89, 233) particularly on the eminis (something John Carter of Tradethemarkets.com uses), it results in a chart that moves quicker when things are happening but is smoother. I could do without this as I dont use it on stocks but its a nice to have and interesting to experiment with.

Once again thanks for your info

Chris

It was in reference to IQ feed, as you say the volume data for IB may not be as good.

Does Hyperserver suffer from the same unreliability and also do you have to create within Hyperserver a copy of your Globalserver symbolist (this is the case with Metaserver)?.

Hyperserver has been totally reliable for me without any problems at all.
The symbol list is generated automatically in Hyperserver when you open it

Paul