Traders Wanted - The Tibra Group

Hi au959

earlier in the thread someone was asking about the risks to Tibra. My thoughts would be that one of the largest risks to your company would be that the intellectual property walks out the door and starts up a rival shop the same way that you guys did to Optiver.

How are you managing that risk? I am guessing you are spending plenty each year on IT - is it secure? And more generally, why aren't other groups of traders getting together to start a new 'punter bunker'?

Your thoughts appreciated

thx

Tibra's online application system is now up and running as of today. I applied and was rejected all in one day... that's efficiency I guess. I'd say I was scratched because I didn't graduate uni with a HD average.

Does anyone else think it is uncanny that the day their online application system is finally ready, that Tibra gets a big write up in Sydney's leading newspaper ?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-fastest-guns-in-the-market-20091105-i0au.html

Tibra's online application system is now up and running as of today. I applied and was rejected all in one day... that's efficiency I guess. I'd say I was scratched because I didn't graduate uni with a HD average.

Does anyone else think it is uncanny that the day their online application system is finally ready, that Tibra gets a big write up in Sydney's leading newspaper ?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-fastest-guns-in-the-market-20091105-i0au.html

Quote from SMH

"Online chat rooms are filled with tales of young graduates wanting to work for companies like Tibra. They talk of an aptitude test that demands lightning-fast problem-solving.

The story is about HFT. Yet this has nothing to do with lightning-fast problem solving. These two are mutually exclusive characteristics.

The firm's culture draws much attention, too. Staff wear thongs to work and drive sports cars, one insider says."

LOL

hi guys I went through all the parts of Tibra recruitment but failed the very last stage... not a good experience :)

I will be happy to share my knowledge with anyone interested.

Hi,

I have a hr interview for a trainee trader comning up.

any tips?

thanks a lot

yeah dude.. good luck.. one of my friend from oxford statictics dept got rejected from their HR.. they are very moronic and like most HRs ask dumb questions.. they ask apptitude questions like why tibra, trading, leadership team member etc questions ... hope you make it through their HR morons and the next round with a senior trader is more interesting and something to look forward to ... it is more intensive and very technical...

hi guys I went through all the parts of Tibra recruitment but failed the very last stage... not a good experience :)

I will be happy to share my knowledge with anyone interested.

Hi there, I'm going for the 30mins numerical + 60mins logical test next Tuesday. A bit nervous. I have a rough idea of what the style of the tests is but not sure where to get some practice book/website/material? Can you advise?

Also, if you could give me some examples of what you remembered from the tests, that'd be much appreciated. The more the merrier, of course! :)

Many thanks,
Emily

What you need for the Numerical Test is to be able to do arithmetic confidently. Namely arithmetic manipulations and calculations.

The questions you will be posed with, have two parts to them. But each problem will be formulated as a complete statement. First you have to decipher the problem -- translate the context of the problem into numbers. Then you have to evaluate the resulting expression into a figure. The operations for the second part of the problem are relatively simple, addition and multiplication mainly. In order to do the calculations you have to be engaged with a certain mindset to be successful at it. This can be done, but takes practise. You should confident without a calculator, but you are allowed scrap which is fine. However, a week's practise at this kind of exercise, or any exercise for that matter, is not going to be enough. As with any exercise the body/mind needs time to make the adaptation.

I would estimate, the first part of each problem, namely the deciphering bit, is simple. For the second part, which entails the calculation, to be done at speed, have a look at Franco Vivaldi's Essential Mathematics (formerly Baby Maths). The web book has listed in it an abundant number of problems waiting to be evaluated. Doing these calculations will be good exercise to get into the required mindset.

http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~fv/books/em/index.html

When you have found this useful, be sure to pass on your gratitude to the author.

For the Logical Reasoning, this test can be a lot more subjective. It is difficult to prepare in advance for this. For those looking for previous examples, don't bother. Ultimately this type of test is supposed to see how one can solve a problem in front of you which has never before been seen. It has to be done through logical reasoning with all requisites given in a nutshell. This isn't disimilar to a game or puzzle. Except it's a puzzle with a right and wrong answer -- ie. no shades of grey to solutions.

I like to think, the Numerical tests the left side of your brain, while the Logical tests the right. Both combining the two hemispheres of your brain.

Now here is free advise worth a goldmine.

Dear AU959 and Roohif,

I am interested in a graduate trader position with Tibra in Hong Kong. I have looked through your website and it does not seem to have a formal application page for your Hong Kong office. I have submitted my resume and cover letter through your careers email, but I have a feeling that is for your Sydney office. Can you please advise on what steps to take from here? You can contact me by PM or post here. Thank you.

Anyone who had an interview with the traders? Do they mainly ask for technical questions or competency like HR interview questions? Which are the key areas - blackscholes? put-call parity? or other?

Any brainteaser questions?

Any commercial awareness?

Any Tibra info/history/trading products questions?

Any insight is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Emily

hi guys,

final round interview with a senior trader coming up VERY soon.

any advice/tips?

thanks

prepare some technical stuff like "how would you price a ATM European call option" I guess.

BTW, when will be the interview?

If this is a final stage interview then they may not really bother with the technical stuff as you must been through 2-3 rounds of that now at the least.
It's all about your psychology from here on....good luck!

Surely if an experienced trader is any good he would want 100% for himself and not need any nannying.

There was someone called traderboi last year who joined something similiar. Started off great guns and wrote up the outfit but soon faded and then disappeared from site without leaving a p/l or anything. Draw your own conclusions !!

Surely if an experienced trader is any good he would want 100% for himself and not need any nannying.

There was someone called traderboi last year who joined something similiar. Started off great guns and wrote up the outfit but soon faded and then disappeared from site without leaving a p/l or anything. Draw your own conclusions !!

for what firm he was trading for ?