Took out a loan to transition to full-time trading. 24 years old.

If the OP loses the $25k borrowed capital - and even if he doesn't - he also loses all the interest repayments. Of course if he pays a high %age interest for long enough he might actually lose $50k ! (NET)

When you spend 1k on your credit card and then have to pay 1k back at the end of the month do you feel like you've lost 2k???

I guess what i mean is..

That if I put 1k in my trading account via credit card and lost it (rather then spent it on something i need or wanted)

My reaction would be like, "****, I owe my credit card 1k and i lost 1k on trading when i could have spent it on a holiday or something. It would feel like a double loss (even though I accept that technically its not)

I see someone's having trouble letting this go! :LOL:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 258
LOL wow I sure am surprised by the increased number of pages. It almost doubled overnight. I was hoping for a more lively thread compared to a different forum - not exactly what I was looking for, but I wasn't being too specific so I guess this fits the bill as well.
Yes I lost a lot of money on day 6 but come on give me a break, it's been a while since I traded again. And in virtual accounts my leverage was 2x. I think the biggest factor of that huge loss was I didn't account for the 4x leverage my day trading account is giving me. I thought I cut losses small but it was pretty big EOD.
And what's wrong with trading DUST? If it's an highly predictable move, might as well trade DUST instead of trading GDX. It's not like I'm going to sit on the trade and hope, I'm watching it live and was planning on getting out on a hint of a miscalculation on my part.
And are you guys all in Europe? You guys are very active while I'm asleep and not active at all when I'm posting and not using $ for your examples. and @ffsear ...lol and I thought I was bad at math.

It might be a made up story, but you must also consider the target audience who may genuinely be considering borrowing money to trade....Now I've said that...Hi Warren Buffett, hope you are enjoying the thread, give my regards to Bill Gates.
Does anyone think that the thread was manufactured to cause a debate;)
im either paranoid or levels ahead:eek:

Ok gotta concentrate on trading now so please wish me luck for another adamant day!

Attachments

• 2016-04-21 06_53_22-Scottrade - Home.png
    2016-04-21 06_53_22-Scottrade - Home.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 182
Day 8:
Beginning of day: $40979.67
End of day: $37205.25
P/L: ($3,774.42); -9.21%

Where to begin. Remember the guy that was talking about how he will not have big losses again? Telling himself to play defensively and control position sizes. I believe that was just earlier this week. Well, you can see the results. Day started out funny reading the T2W posts and in the meantime missing an easy rally that was happening in the markets. No big, there was plenty of easy moves to capitalize on in the morning. It was really a matter of picking one and seeing if it will go up higher than the stock next to you. It was easy and obvious, and I thought anyone that loses money on a day like this is a fool. Well, I'm up over 3% and about to start my work (had lots of work to do today). I'm about to close my screens when I see a potential move in NFLX. Oh, I made money from NFLX and JBLU for the earlier 3% gain. I thought if the market helps, this day could be the day NFLX can gain 2% or 3%, possibly up to 5%. I get in. Drops. I add. Drops. I add. Slowly dropping and I'm going wtf am I doing. Now it's past my stop target and my P/L is like +$200 for the day. "Hm. What to do. I really deserved this. This was not a carefully thought out trade. Wow I can't even believe I'm up for the day. I wouldn't be surprised if I was down $5000 today." That is really how I was trading and I felt like garbage. Yea that summarizes the whole day. Garbage. I for some dumb forsaken reason hold onto NFLX because I'm so disappointed in myself. I felt like I should be negative for the day for how I traded. I hold. Waiting for the bounce. Rally. Nope. I exit.. down 2%. I'm not even sure what I did today. Such an easy day and good earnings for the day, yet I couldn't stop. I was pretty out of it. Low volume throughout entire stocks now. I just put my money into VALE and just let it sit. Meanwhile doing work I needed to get done. Vale drops. A lot. Now I don't know why I put the money in or why I didn't set a stop. I just don't know. Can't concentrate on stocks and can't concentrate on work. Gotta get this finished yet gotta think what to do with VALE. Seriously considered thinking of quitting trading today if this is how I'm going to trade. This is just like my old self coming back. Cocky and confident after couple winners, and losing. Ego problems maybe? Not sure. Gotta think deep about this one tonight.
Giving myself 1- stars today. What more to say? Surprised I only lost the amount I lost today. Should've lost a lot more.

My last post on the subject....i have a tendency to say it as it is.....so in true English style.

Mate, ya furked....stop trading while u still have a pot to p1555 in........:(

A good advice from Sonic - just cut your losses (that's a very important lesson to learn for aspiring traders)

You can always try to learn how to trade first and once you have some spare money you can afford to lose try trading again

Day 8:
Beginning of day: $40979.67
End of day: $37205.25
P/L: ($3,774.42); -9.21%

Or to put it another way that represents a loss of 15% of your 25,000 loan in just one day's trading :sick:

Attachments

• 19397645-Smiley-with-stop-sign-vector-illustration-Stock-Vector.jpg
    19397645-Smiley-with-stop-sign-vector-illustration-Stock-Vector.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 347
lol thanks for the reminder. I was thinking of quitting my job yesterday but after discussing with my senior colleague over lunch, he advised to at least think my decision over the weekend. So I didn't give me 2 weeks notice yesterday but was planning to today, yet today's loss is making me think a lot. There was a lot of red flags in today's trading but I'm not sure why I couldn't stop. I think I just didn't want to accept a losing day, no matter how small the loss was. My original trading plan consists of small, consistent returns with minimal drawbacks. Trading so much again is making me feel "free" and 4x leverage sure isnt helping the adrenaline I get from trading. Tomorrow I'm going to start again.. after trying to cool my head tonight. You know, all this week I'm always up during the day. Right before work starts, in that opening 1.5 hours, I've been up 2% or 3% using my "plan". And throughout the day I just blow it. Would it have been better if I was able to look at my charts non-stop and make quick decisions? Was work that big of a factor? I don't know. I don't even know who I'm asking this. I don't even know if this post is for you or for me. I just don't know. Just so disappointed. Years of training and practicing for what. For a lousy day of high-roller gambling action? I don't know what answers I'm looking for, but I think I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow morning and see how I trade until I can start figuring things out. Why did I do that... why why. I don't know.