Took out a loan to transition to full-time trading. 24 years old.

wabu27

Apr 13, 2016
Hi guys -

Just joined T2W. And posting my first thread.

As the title suggests, I am 24 years old and I took out couple high-rate loans to get my brokerage account over 25,000 so I can daytrade. I have traded since 2010 but only with small capital, so I'm a little nervous. I currently have a job in finance, but it does not pay nearly enough of what I think I can make.

Long story short, since this will be the beginning or the end of my trading life, for I have no desire to continue trading if I seem to lack talent, I'm hoping to have other people come along for the crazy ride and during that time provide me some constructive advice. I have lots to learn, so little time, and just one shot.

Loans hit my bank account today, and I deposited into my brokerage account.

My capital: $13,000
Loans: $25,000 with around 25% APR
My salary: ~$55,000 with bonus

Day 1:
Beginning of day: $38090.89
End of day: $37815.94
P/L: ($274.95); -0.72%

I originally posted on a different community site, but wasn't getting much replies. Maybe it's pretty dead over there? Hope it's better here.

This will be my journal for the record. Let the games begin. :clap::clap::clap:

Pat494

Mar 27, 2004
I don't agree borrowing to trade . I am surprised anyone is silly enough to lend for that. The 25% APR will crush you too. Say it was a mistake and pay it back soonest, especially as you are a beginner.

Last edited:

dbphoenix

Aug 24, 2003

Plus ca change . . .

Jan 1, 2006
London
Hi Wabu27
Clearly it seems you have shocked most people by informing us that you have borrowed money to use as a your trading capital. I will also join the herd and say that this is not a good idea.

Trading is hard enough as it is, without the added pressure of having borrowed funds.

Please reconsider your decision!

sun11

Dec 5, 2014
wabu27, When you were trading with small fund, you were profitable?
If you were, then may be this could work if you keep yourself stress free.

Hoggums

Jan 24, 2006
Just going to add to the weight of opinion here. It is absolute madness to borrow money to trade - particularly such a large amount with such high interest rates.

Pay the money back now. Don't be foolish and greedy. Learn how to trade before jumping into the shark infested pit.

You've already started on a losing streak and the more you lose, the more scared & paralysed you are going to trade.

darktone

Nov 2, 2003
This guy borrowed 3k from a credit card to get started.

He did ok..

-------------

Youve been trading since 2010 so im guessing youve an idea how important psychology is to trading well. Its 90% of it, at least, imho.
Get and keep a handle on whats going upstairs for you.

Trade small small small, taking the plays that make you feel uncomfortable. If youre any good youll soon start to feel comfortable in those situations, where everyone else is getting hurt. Thats where the money is.

Trading on borrowed money, not the best. If this is the only avenue for you, close it up if you do your 13k, pay down the loan and reevaluate.

Dont listen to anyone who tells you cant do it.

All the best.

Last edited:

babyjake1961

Oct 25, 2012
The market will get to know you carnally before you know it. Unless you were pondering on defaulting on your loan from the very start. Living in a credit society, that can later cost you.