TheBramble’s Trading 201

2nd Major Recap

A quick recap as there has been a lot of discussion and I want to highlight the highlights..arf!

Channels
Doesn't matter whether it's Bull, Bear or Flat - Exit on the Left; Enter on the Right. Most do exactly the opposite of this...and lose.

Very little response to this one so I assume either everyone was doing this anyway or they are now. That’s what it means, surely? LOL

Stops
A mini-series on Stops which nobody appears to have violently disagreed with. Yet.

Losers & Winners (Traders, not Trades)
Losers react, winners anticipate and wait for early confirmation, but the people who make the big money create situations based on what they know about the way the herd behave.

A sleeper perhaps. Or maybe everyone instinctively knows this already. Good.

News
Forget the news, remember the chart. You're not smart enough to know how news will affect price. The chart already knows the news is coming.

Pretty much covered in another thread very recently. And fairly self-evident. The end-of-term paper is going to be a breeze for you lot.

Pullbacks & Retracements
Buy the first pullback from a new high. Sell the first pullback from a new low. There's always a crowd that missed the first boat.

Some reservations aired over this statement and I hope we’ll get to cover those at some point.

Support & Resistance
Buy at support, sell at resistance. Everyone sees the same thing and they're all just waiting to jump in the pool.

Everyone seems OK with this one.

Gaps
Exhaustion gaps get filled. Breakaway and continuation gaps don't. The old traders' wisdom is a lie. Trade in the direction of gap support whenever you can.

And this one too

Instinct
If you have to look, it isn't there. Forget your technical analyses and empirical studies and learn to simply trust your instincts.

No problems with this one.

This bite-size stuff really works!!!

Last Hour of Trading
The trend is your friend in the last hour. As volume cranks up at 3:00pm don't expect anyone to change the channel.

We’re obviously all making the most going into the final hour.

Trading the Open

Avoid the open. They see you coming.

Mr. Charts countered this with a trading technique he profitably employs and this is in trading opening gaps. There’s no denying an experienced trader and/or one who specializes in specific techniques is going to be one of the traders taking money from the mug punters who don’t have any edge on the open. And I’m sure they do so only very reluctantly. But unless you do have an edge on the Open, they will see you coming…

Volume
Not initially posted for thought/discussion, but it came up anyway. Seems there aren’t too many of us that do trade that are willing to ascribe it the pride of place some would have you accord it. Hmmmm….should get interesting…..

Analysis of Performance
Quite a bit of debate and I don’t want to run the risk of misquoting Vrothdar in my attempts to paraphrase of summarise. You’ll need to (shock horror) read the originals, in all their lengthy splendour.

In short, I reckon you’re not just wasting your time in carrying out statistical analyses of your systems, but actually working against your own best interests in doing so. Mr. V has a somewhat different view and is equally delightfully unwilling to let go of it. LOL.

I look forward to explaining in depth (but in very short posts) why I take the position I do, having come from one of the most scientific and empirical school of trading myself.

Risk/Reward
I hinted at the possibility of looking at systems which, contrary to perceived wisdom and advice, offer a superficially bad R:R (more risk than reward), but which have other characteristics to recommend them. I will enjoy explaining in some more detail exactly what I mean by these types of systems, why they are a pretty good thing, and why you wont find them, or at least, recognise them, if you follow a strictly empirical or scientific approach in analysing your trading performance (rather than your physical performance – Ooooooer – big hint).

Back Testing
Look, I didn’t bring it, Mr. V did, but we’re going to REALLY have a blast with this one. Stay tuned. Unless you’ve heard it all before of course, in which case….

Analysis of Performance
Quite a bit of debate and I don’t want to run the risk of misquoting Vrothdar in my attempts to paraphrase of summarise. You’ll need to (shock horror) read the originals, in all their lengthy splendour.

In short, I reckon you’re not just wasting your time in carrying out statistical analyses of your systems, but actually working against your own best interests in doing so. Mr. V has a somewhat different view and is equally delightfully unwilling to let go of it. LOL.

I look forward to explaining in depth (but in very short posts) why I take the position I do, having come from one of the most scientific and empirical school of trading myself.

Risk/Reward
I hinted at the possibility of looking at systems which, contrary to perceived wisdom and advice, offer a superficially bad R:R (more risk than reward), but which have other characteristics to recommend them. I will enjoy explaining in some more detail exactly what I mean by these types of systems, why they are a pretty good thing, and why you wont find them, or at least, recognise them, if you follow a strictly empirical or scientific approach in analysing your trading performance (rather than your physical performance – Ooooooer – big hint).

Back Testing
Look, I didn’t bring it, Mr. V did, but we’re going to REALLY have a blast with this one. Stay tuned. Unless you’ve heard it all before of course, in which case….

Looking forward to all of this, especially the bit I've quoted in bold as I expect hearing accounts of actual experiences is the only thing likely to make me concede (other than gaining my own actual experience of it, which I'm working on).

When I've made more progress on my own trading system I'll put my money where my mouth is and post my actual results from my demo trading and then (if that goes alright) live trades. Of course, if TheBramble talks me in to his camp between now and then things will be different...

Channels
Doesn't matter whether it's Bull, Bear or Flat - Exit on the Left; Enter on the Right. Most do exactly the opposite of this...and lose.

Very little response to this one so I assume either everyone was doing this anyway or they are now. That’s what it means, surely? LOL

I must admit this was very much lost on me. That could just be because I've not taken much interest in channels in my learnings just yet.

Why do Prices Move?

"Market oscillations are the result of the balance of the expectancies of each individual that comprises it. Those who buy, they do it thinking that prices will raise, and those who sell, that prices will fall."

Is this true?

Any trade that is not buying at new highs or selling at new lows is adding to a loser

Ok?

An Edge

People who make money do so because they have identified an edge, and then trade only (or mostly) when that edge occurs, using good risk management to control losses.

If you are a loser, it is most likely that you either do not have an edge, or trade without an edge, or use poor risk management. This is usually due to lack of market experience/knowledge, failure to apply and learn from that experience, or poor emotional control.

OK - You've Been Patient - Now, The Holy Grail

When the market opens above where the bulk of yesterday's trading took place - then, when it trades down to the high of that area, if it does not bounce, but instead starts trading through that level, it is likely to go all the way down and test the lows of that area.

When the market opens below where the bulk of yesterday's trading took place - then, when it trades up to the low of that area, if it does not bounce, but instead starts trading through that level, it is likely to go all the way up and test the highs of that area.

If you're right - you're right

If you have put on a position, and then start to feel a bit of pain, usually it is best to get out immediately.

The best positions cause you no pain at all, but just go your way with hardly a blip.

When the market opens above where the bulk of yesterday's trading took place - then, when it trades down to the high of that area, if it does not bounce, but instead starts trading through that level, it is likely to go all the way down and test the lows of that area.

When the market opens below where the bulk of yesterday's trading took place - then, when it trades up to the low of that area, if it does not bounce, but instead starts trading through that level, it is likely to go all the way up and test the highs of that area.

:-0:eek::-0:eek:

isnt this in direct contradiction to the SupRes people?
(rhetorical question, as I dont want to cut you off in mid-flow)

isnt this in direct contradiction to the SupRes people?
No. Not at all. Quite the opposite and directly confirms my earlier position on S&R.

Is not yesterday's High/Low a potential local S/R level?

(rhetorical question, as I dont want to cut you off in mid-flow)
Do you realise just how little danger of that there is? LOL

edit: Ahhh...light bulb moment....got it! I understand why you asked what you asked.

Support and Resistance are defined by the act of Supporting or Resisting - the act, not the potential for that level to act.

Last edited:

Tony,
I'm shocked at you !

Market profile summed up perfectly and you bandy it around free-for-all :cool:

where we gonna get the next set of losers from if you keep educating the current crop ? :smart:

on the plus side, 99% of them won't take a blind bit of notice :clap:

Any trade that is not buying at new highs is adding to a loser?
1. one timeframe's higher low is an other timeframe's new high
2. push it to extreem, and you can only buy at all time highs
3. is losstollerance and assesment of potential within business rules?

What happened to the informative and entertaining banter within this thread guys? TheBramble, you still around ?

Hi TheBramble
I've read somewhere that you used Excel DDE. Is there anyway I can calculate position size based on ATR in Excel DDE file and send it back to IB TWS? I wonder if you can help me.. thanks

assume had a system that Risk : Reward is --- 1:4 (100 pips SL | 400 pips TP)

Starting Capital : $375,000

when entry : Risk 1% of the capital only

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario :

Total Entry : 134 Trade

Trade Ratio - 1:1.5 (1 winning : 1.5 losing)

Average winning trade amount is $464
Average losing trade amount is $295

Answer : if according to trade ratio 1:1.5

assume you won 400 pips would have give back 150 pips.

Total pips left should be +250 pips...

- if with $375k capital, and risk 1% per trade

1% = $3750 = 100 pips SL

$15,000 = 400 pips TP

the rest.. havent figure it out yet.. lol

Last edited: