TheBramble’s Trading 201

Without that understanding scientific/empirical analysis is meaningless to whoever is interpreting it.

If TheBramble contradicts me here I've no idea what I agreed to earlier in the thread. I'll have to watch my back!!

Ah, yes that makes sense. This thread is called 'Trading 201' after all!

It personally took me ages to learn not to get too embroiled in wading through masses of analytical test results. I suppose the temptation for newbies is to test their method to destruction at the expense of really looking at what they are trying to achieve fundamentally. As a trader of mechanical systems myself I do rely heavily on stats (as you mentioned earlier), but I am trying to see the bigger picture.

Generally some truth, but the specifics are occasionally different eg pullbacks and trading the open.
Will elaborate when time permits; US opens in 5 mins so I've got to go and walk the walk now.
I'd be surprised Richard if you didn't challenge my comments on the Open. LOL

As for pullbacks, if we're going to get into Volume you're going to need a very big stick, because I'm no longer convinced what I thought about this actually occurs as we all thought/think. I want to develop the context within whichg piullbacks occur so happy if you want to kick off that angle too. Or any other angle of course...

As for walking the walk - I'm too busy talking the talk....must learn to walk...one day....

great main post, TheBramble.
I seem to recall that stevespray expressed similar thoughts regarding expecting the trade to go his way immediately, or bailing out for very small losses.

and the key thing is your point about expecting a bigger reward for your risk, and how that affects the trade.

As a matter of interest, you agreed with Vrothdar when he mentioned that you're taking the thread towards a direction of not promoting the use of a scientific/empirical approach. Just because this is the direction of the thread, is this something you subscribe to in your own analysis, or rather intended to prevent new traders getting too hung-up on the stats at the expense of everything else?
Yes. And very much Yes.

The only thing I'm not sure about was whether the trip down formula alley and the scientific/empirical approach was necessary for me to see it for what it is - a smokescreen which masks what genuinely matters in trading. I'm still reticent to discount that as a possibility which is why I'm so pleased we have some bona fide traders contributing and potentially, reining in my wilder and more impulsive ideas to turn the heads of newbies in direction they shouldn’t (yet) be turned.

Without that understanding scientific/empirical analysis is meaningless to whoever is interpreting it.

If TheBramble contradicts me here I've no idea what I agreed to earlier in the thread. I'll have to watch my back!!
I think I've just covered exactly that point in the post above. I don't want to scare people away from it as it's (probably) important. But neither should they get hung up 95% on formulas and 5% on trading.

I think I'm still agreeing. But watch your back anyway, I've been known to turn for a shilling....

great main post, TheBramble.
I seem to recall that stevespray expressed similar thoughts regarding expecting the trade to go his way immediately, or bailing out for very small losses.
Exactly where I'm at....

and the key thing is your point about expecting a bigger reward for your risk, and how that affects the trade.
..or even a smaller reward for your risk, many times over, with a very high win rate....?

I think I'm still agreeing. But watch your back anyway, I've been known to turn for a shilling....

I meant in the sense that I might've agreed to something I didn't realise I'd agreed to. I didn't mean to suggest anything about turning.

I'll continue reading this thread but try not to comment too much as my views on the subject seem to be a lot less relevant to the style of trading you're discussing here to the style I'm hoping to develop and I fear that pushing those beliefs too much in this thread could detract from your posts.

If my method turns out to be a success I'll consider starting a similar thread discussing how statistics and nothing but statistics worked for me. There is every chance that in the months/years to come my (actual) trading results will prove that statistics and nothing but statistics didn't work for me. Either way I'm sure in time to come my experiences will provide interesting discussion because of the very specific nature of my approach. There is no discretion or fundamental analysis muddying the waters here!

There may, however, be considerable helping of just plain mental:whistling

I'd appreciate your continued input. It is precisely the robust challenge of ideas and the putting forward of different, perhaps even totally opposite ideas, that makes for valuable discussion and where, typically, most of the learnings occur.

It is unlikely your views are going to be irrelevant as I’m not discussing styles of trading per se, but the fundamentals of trading, the very essence, as I currently see it, of consistently successful trading. It is impossible for me to do this without either deliberately or unconsciously disclosing my own trading style and manner and where I catch myself doing that, I’ll make clear it’s just my take.

And don’t worry about detracting from my posts – you’re pretty safe there….I’ve removed any and all Quality aspects from them before posting.

(I should have split this into 3 posts for the numbnuts that can’t take in more than a few words without losing interest – narcolepsy is a curse, to be sure…)

I'd be surprised Richard if you didn't challenge my comments on the Open. LOL

As for pullbacks, if we're going to get into Volume you're going to need a very big stick, because I'm no longer convinced what I thought about this actually occurs as we all thought/think. I want to develop the context within whichg piullbacks occur so happy if you want to kick off that angle too. Or any other angle of course...

As for walking the walk - I'm too busy talking the talk....must learn to walk...one day....

Ok thanks, Tony, I'll post a little here then.
I'll keep away from specifics and won't clutter your thread with screenshots or explanations.
Trading the open is fine in very specific circumstances. You do need to know what you are doing and position size in your chosen way. Personally I feel that anyone taking a position the moment the market opens is purely gambling and that is dangerous with the high volatility at that time. Certainly trading immediately on open in accordance with your view of news is a fast way to disaster.
Gap trading also needs to be both trend and momentum trading to be consistently successful, imho and ime.
Take today, for example.
I chose two stocks well before market open and two more just before open and traded the first two using my own set ups and triggers. I won't discuss these but the set ups are clear from the charts I'll post on "my" old Evening Trading US shares thread.
The results speak for themselves.
Richard

I forgot to address your comment about volume.
Much is written about volume, but as far as stocks are concerned, you do not necessarily require it as confirmation of a potential move, ime.
This flies in the face of accepted wisdom and is likely to bring opprobrium down on me.
I don't care.
I know what works and when with a very satisfactory probability :)
It sounds as if you are thinking along similar lines.
Richard

Trading the open is fine in very specific circumstances. You do need to know what you are doing and position size in your chosen way. Personally I feel that anyone taking a position the moment the market opens is purely gambling and that is dangerous with the high volatility at that time. Certainly trading immediately on open in accordance with your view of news is a fast way to disaster.
Gap trading also needs to be both trend and momentum trading to be consistently successful, imho and ime.
As long as less experienced traders appreciate that the experience required to successfully attempt such plays only comes after a significant amount of effort, reseach, time and, erm, well, Catch-22...experience.

I'd appreciate your continued input. It is precisely the robust challenge of ideas and the putting forward of different, perhaps even totally opposite ideas, that makes for valuable discussion and where, typically, most of the learnings occur.

I'm going to take the example situation in your first post and explain, in detail, my view on it from a purely statistical point of view. Unfortunately (as far as this thread is concerned) I'm heading down to the pub in a few minutes so it wont be happening today!

I'll see if I can write up my thoughts on it during my lunch at work tomorrow. If I'm lucky I'll be able to resist becoming completely distracted by any responses to said post after lunch!

I forgot to address your comment about volume.
Much is written about volume, but as far as stocks are concerned, you do not necessarily require it as confirmation of a potential move, ime.
This flies in the face of accepted wisdom and is likely to bring opprobrium down on me.
I don't care.
I know what works and when with a very satisfactory probability :)
It sounds as if you are thinking along similar lines.
Richard

Richard

fwiw I've tried every aspect of volume in association with my swing trading ftse shares and it makes not a jot of significant difference as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, chaps like MrMarcus seem to read a lot into it with great success, so it might just be my obtuseness in understanding it all properly.

good trading

jon

As long as less experienced traders appreciate that the experience required to successfully attempt such plays only comes after a significant amount of effort, reseach, time and, erm, well, Catch-22...experience.

I think it's like driving. People can tell learning drivers how dangerous it is to drive on a motorway at 70mph and they would be quite right. However, once you have learnt to drive, follow the rules, always exercise extreme caution to minimise risk, and anticipate the road conditions ahead you gain experience and sufficient self confidence to go on the motorway. Provided you are then careful and treat everyone else on the road as if they are a moron with the potential to be unpredictable, you find yourself being able to drive at 70mph on a motorway.

So although I agree with you in more general terms, I differ in that I don't think you need experience of motorway driving per se before you venture onto a motorway; but you do need the basics and self control.

Of course you can always trade in very small size to further minimise risk - which is where the analogy with driving breaks down.
Richard

Richard

fwiw I've tried every aspect of volume in association with my swing trading ftse shares and it makes not a jot of significant difference as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, chaps like MrMarcus seem to read a lot into it with great success, so it might just be my obtuseness in understanding it all properly.

good trading

jon

jon,
I could go on and on about volume, where and why it matters and more often when it does not.
I can't remember whether Mark found it less useful with stocks than indices, but I have found it of limited value.
In the days when I traded the LSE (pre-2001) it was also of minimum value.
I won't expand on this as it isn't the principal focus of this thread and I wouldn't dream of derailing TheBramble's work :)
Richard

PS Anyway I thought you were now a Dedicated Follower of Fashion....a sort of Kinky S89 groupie
:LOL:

................PS Anyway I thought you were now a Dedicated Follower of Fashion....a sort of Kinky S89 groupie............

:LOL: i was trying to show how dangerous he is - but the damn market decided to humour him!

jon

So although I agree with you in more general terms, I differ in that I don't think you need experience of motorway driving per se before you venture onto a motorway; but you do need the basics and self control.
I don’t think we’re disagreeing Richard, it seems more a question of emphasis on experience in tackling certain trading manoeuvres.

To press your motorway driving analogy (probably way beyond breaking point), if the future of your trading capital were dependent upon one of two people and you have a choice between a competent, intelligent, fully aware and sensible 18 year old who has just passed his or her test, but never driven on a motorway and a police motorway patrol driver with 15 years driving experience under his (no ‘or her’ here…LOL) belt, and the condition of your invested capital depends on the relative probability of each making it to the end of the M4 (Westbound, naturally) in the fastest time – which would you choose?

Now, you’ve highlighted a very specific market open trading move (the Gap) which I know you trade successfully. As a Trading 201 topic it is tremendously valid as it shows what ‘can’ be done, but I don’t want newbies to think if you can do it, they ‘can’ also do it without having done the hard yards you yourself have covered.

”TheBramble” said:
You have a system (you wish) where your R:R is 1:4. You had a trading capital base of $375,000. You risk 1% of your capital on every trade. Your system so far has yielded an average winning trade value of $464 and an average losing trade value of $295. Your winning trades outnumber your losing trades 1:1.5. You have executed 134 trades and are currently flat. You have been trading this system for 23 weeks.

My first observation is that for your average losing trade value to be $295 you’d have to be closing trades at a loss that had not hit your stoploss if you really are risking 1% capital each trade. You’d have to be moving up your stops with the price, closing trades on a signal of some sort or not following your system to the letter for this to occur.

In any case a statistical analysis based on the average loss would be very unwise.

The same comments can be made towards the average winning trade value. Comparing the two figures also bring the idea of R:R being 1:4 in to doubt.

The number of trades is only relevant for comparing your actual results to a statistical models on which your system is based. The number of weeks the system has been traded isn’t relevant, on it’s own, to any of the other information given.

”TheBramble” said:
What is your expectancy?

What, statistically, will be/will have been your drawdown?

What would you calculate to be the current value of your trading capital?

What is your Aw:Al?

What is your Pw:pl?

How many consecutive winners/losers can you expect based on this system’s profile?

To calculate any of the above we first need to establish a model to compare our actual results to. This becomes difficult when considering things like sliding stops, closing a trade because of anything other than a stop etc.

The best way of doing this is to establish R:R as a ratio of stoploss:target and what percentage of signals result in successful trades – a hit rate if you were. This hit rate should be calculated using the outcome of all signals with stoploss and target set as per your system even if the stoploss would cause you to risk a higher % of your capital than you’d like. We do this because we can’t know what our trading capital will be at any point in time. We may have enough capital to trade 1 lot at our systems constraints, we might have enough to trade 10 or we might not have enough capital to enter the trade at all, while risking only 1% of our trading capital.

We must assume that all signals are traded, that stoploss and targets are not moved, that trades are only exited when stoploss or target is hit and that R:R is always maintained.

So then, lets pretend we have a system where our stoploss:target ratio is set at 1:4 when we get a signal to trade. Our expected hit rate is 60% (as suggested in your example) and that we trade our system to the letter, don’t move stops, targets etc, basically all the provisos given above.

”TheBramble” said:
What is your expectancy?
What would you calculate to be the current value of your trading capital?

To have an expectation of our equity curve we could use a random equity curve generator. If you put the win/loss to 4, win prob to 0.6 and the lines quantity to 100 you can generate 100 different equity curves based on approximately 450 trades. As you can see from the curves if you weren’t in massive profits after 134 trades something would be seriously wrong!

Another way to look at your equity curve would be to test against a binomial model. We could take our number of wins/losses after X number of trades and, using our hit rate of 60% calculate how likely it is for that outcome to occur. If we chance of that outcome occurring is very low we can say one of 3 things: Our hit rate has changed, we aren’t trading our system in the way we set out to or we’ve been very lucky/unlucky over those trades.

How many consecutive winners/losers can you expect based on this system’s profile?

But what about losing streaks? Grantx made a good point in my journal thread about the fact that simply looking at the net outcome of 100 trades is not good enough.

As he rightly said if you expected an 80% hit rate you could get 20 losses followed by 80 wins which would fit perfectly into a binomial distribution. This is where a geometric distribution becomes very useful. We can calculated the likelihood of any length of losing streak and based on this decide whether or not our model is still accurate.

Going back to our model using a 60% hit rate we can calculate generate the geometric sequence in the attached spreadsheet. If you change the “chance of successful trade” you can see how the chances of getting various losing streaks changes as your hitrate changes.

To explain the number in the “losing streak” column a little better. The figure 5 means a streak of LLLLLW, 10 would be LLLLLLLLLLW and 1 would be LW.

By testing our results against these two distributions we can determine whether our original model is still accurate or not. When we start moving stop losses etc. our tests might show that we are either causing our results to be better or worse than expected if we hadn’t moved them at all. These kinds of actions do make interpretation of statistical tests more difficult. The test can only tell you whether or not something has changed from your model. Ideally you want the only possibility of a change to your model to be market conditions changing - knowing that your model has changed (because you're moving stops etc.) before doing such a test will muddy the waters considerably.

As far as

What is your Aw:Al?

What is your Pw:pl?

Is concerned we can expect varios outcomes. If the ratio of our target:stoploss is always the same (but their size may vary), and we don’t move our stoplosses we would expect Aw:Al to be the same as Pw:pl.

In our model Pw:pl would be 4:1 and, over time, we would expect Aw:Al to converge on a ratio of 4:1. Aw:Al could be something like 100:25, 20:5 or anything else. You wouldn’t expect them to remain constant but their ratio should.

What, statistically, will be/will have been your drawdown?

This one is a little bit more complicated to model and it’s not something I’ve looked at doing myself as I’m not sure whether it really tells us anything more than we can learn from the study of randomly generated equity curves and binomial models for our system.

:edit: Forgot to add the attachment. Hope that post doesn't take too long to digest!

Attachments

• Geometric Sequence Calculator.xls
    14 KB · Views: 259
Last edited: