Expected Value / Statistical Variance / Monte Carlo Simulation Problem

Raph

19 0
Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out the expected value for a hypothetical stock market trading system. I don't know if this question falls under basic algebra, or statistic, or what, but here is are the inputs:

Total business (trading) days in a year: 252
Size of average profit: $2000 (10 times larger than the average loss)
Holding time / length of average winning trade: 3 days
Size of average loss: -$200
Holding time / length of average losing trade: 1 day
Total number of investable / tradable opportunities (entry signals) per year: 126
Percentage of trades that make a profit: 40%
Percentage of trades that incur a loss: 60%

Extra info:
All profits are reinvested seeking compound growth.
Total risk per trade: 3% of total capital (adjusted constantly to remain at 3%).

What would be the expected value of such a trading system for every one-dollar put at risk?

And if you have time... is there an excel formula I can use to create a spreadsheet for the data (assuming we start with a balance of $10,000)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shakone

2,458 665
lol! the stats are 100:1 reward to risk with a 40% prob of winning :) lucky you.

Expected Value = Prob(winning)*(Size of average win) - Prob(losing)*(size of average loss)

Yes there is an Excel formula you can use.

In fact, I think on second thought we should take account of the time-value of money, so

Expected Value = Discount factor*[Prob(winning)*(Size of average win) - Prob(losing)*(size of average loss)]

If you're assuming a stochastic discount process, I can give you the Feynman-Kac generated PDE.

Raph

19 0
lol! the stats are 100:1 reward to risk with a 40% prob of winning :) lucky you.

Expected Value = Prob(winning)*(Size of average win) - Prob(losing)*(size of average loss)

Yes there is an Excel formula you can use.

In fact, I think on second thought we should take account of the time-value of money, so

Expected Value = Discount factor*[Prob(winning)*(Size of average win) - Prob(losing)*(size of average loss)]

If you're assuming a stochastic discount process, I can give you the Feynman-Kac generated PDE.

Well, I know the formula for calculating expected value, but the fact that the winning trades are held longer than the losing trades is what's confusing me - I was trying to adjust the formula for that. I don't think the "discount factor" will help with that because I am not factoring interest rates. I am guessing that the (hypothetical) system I have come up with will result in approximately +/-20 winning trades per year, and around +/-65 losing trades, but I suck at math so I am attempting to run some simulations. Anyway, I did find a excel based simulator on another forum, and while it's not accurate it's given me some direction. Thanks for your input.

Raph

19 0
Yes, I think there's a 0 missing from the average loss - otherwise you had the Holy Grail ;).

The expected value is annual return divided by initial capital. The difficulty lies in determining the initial capital.

The usual way is calculating the maximum drawdown with a Monte Carlo simulation from an equity curve _without_ reinvestment. The initial capital is then the maximum drawdown plus the maximum margin, normalized to 3 years.

Indeed you are correct, lol! There WAS a zero missing, and it's been corrected. Though still a pretty impressive system I'd say =p Then again, you know how it is... these kinds of ideas usually just look good on paper, lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock