The Taylor Trading Technique

yes. by the count.
friday next buy day ... by the count.
count is one thing, action is another.
action does not have to fit the count.

the count keeps you straight.
but position must be taken if the right type of action happens, even if it happens on the wrong day.

today is the ideal sell day because the action fits what you want to see happen on sell day.

yes. by the count.
friday next buy day ... by the count.
count is one thing, action is another.
action does not have to fit the count.

the count keeps you straight.
but position must be taken if the right type of action happens, even if it happens on the wrong day.

today is the ideal sell day because the action fits what you want to see happen on sell day.
Thank you for this advice.

For me the Taylor Technique is difficult to implement,
takes a certain kind of mind/intelligence which unfortunately
I do not have.

some people think it is harder than it really is.
just think ... buy significant lows, short significant highs
that's all it is
go back over the chart for the past, and just see what would have happened if you bought every time price went 5 points below the previous day's low
and 10 points below the previous day's low
then go back and look at those trades and see which ones get you stuck and which ones don't
on the ones that get you stuck, try to figure out why
on the ones that don't get you stuck, form a set of rules around that
look at the moves below previous lows during up swings, and look at the moves below previous lows during down swings
how far below do they go during up swings, how far below do they go during down swings
see how and why you get stuck buying below previous lows during a down swing.
what you should find is that you will rarely get stuck just buying a certain distance below the previous low as long as you stick to your rules about your exit and stop position
once you get a feel for that, the next step is to get a feel for the swings.
in a down swing, you want to have a small target
in an up swing, you want to stay in the trade for the swing if possible.
the swing happens fast so usually it means you will stay in another day or 2 maximum
taylor's book is hard to read, but if you just keep thinking (buy lows sell highs) as you read it , it is not so complicated
if you summed up the book in one sentence it would be buying lows or selling highs at least once every 3 days... that's it.

for example, if buy day comes and there is no pullback or a higher low is put in.... you just wait for buy day action .... another day, another 2 days
or another example, you get buy day action on buy day and a bounce.... yet the next day makes a lower low still, so you just repeat your action
usually this will happen in a down swing.
... you might not get a swing entry for 2 or 3 tries, but if you keep going, eventually you will get the swing turn if you follow the rules
.... and you should be able to get a small profit on most entries if you enter at a threshold distance below the previous low.
when a down swing is starting, that first day might put in a high 10 points above the previous high... so you have to take that into account before you start thinking about going long. even if the range for the day is 20 points already, make sure you follow the rules and use stops.
even in a down swing, that first day of the down swing is the one you have to be careful on.
for example, it is the first day of the down swing, and price has dropped 20 points and you feel like you are getting a discount but it is not below the previous low.
taylor says don't go for it unless it is buy day and unless it is at least a certain distance below the previous low, and he says don't enter unless the action happens early in the day rather than at the close
you are just looking for a high made first or a low made first.... qualified by a certain minimum range on the move
.... i don't think anyone is trading taylor ..... that's good
.... and those that are just do their own thing with it, because they think his original system is outdated
.... people who post about trading on forums are jack asses, and that goes for me as well : )

Thank you for this advice.
For me the Taylor Technique is difficult to implement,
takes a certain kind of mind/intelligence which unfortunately
I do not have.

that's all it is
go back over the chart for the past, and just see what would have happened if you bought every time price went 5 points below the previous day's low
and 10 points below the previous day's low
then go back and look at those trades and see which ones get you stuck and which ones don't
on the ones that get you stuck, try to figure out why
on the ones that don't get you stuck, form a set of rules around that
look at the moves below previous lows during up swings, and look at the moves below previous lows during down swings
how far below do they go during up swings, how far below do they go during down swings
see how and why you get stuck buying below previous lows during a down swing.
what you should find is that you will rarely get stuck just buying a certain distance below the previous low as long as you stick to your rules about your exit and stop position
once you get a feel for that, the next step is to get a feel for the swings.
in a down swing, you want to have a small target
in an up swing, you want to stay in the trade for the swing if possible.
the swing happens fast so usually it means you will stay in another day or 2 maximum
taylor's book is hard to read, but if you just keep thinking (buy lows sell highs) as you read it , it is not so complicated
if you summed up the book in one sentence it would be buying lows or selling highs at least once every 3 days... that's it.

for example, if buy day comes and there is no pullback or a higher low is put in.... you just wait for buy day action .... another day, another 2 days
or another example, you get buy day action on buy day and a bounce.... yet the next day makes a lower low still, so you just repeat your action
usually this will happen in a down swing.
... you might not get a swing entry for 2 or 3 tries, but if you keep going, eventually you will get the swing turn if you follow the rules
.... and you should be able to get a small profit on most entries if you enter at a threshold distance below the previous low.
when a down swing is starting, that first day might put in a high 10 points above the previous high... so you have to take that into account before you start thinking about going long. even if the range for the day is 20 points already, make sure you follow the rules and use stops.
even in a down swing, that first day of the down swing is the one you have to be careful on.
for example, it is the first day of the down swing, and price has dropped 20 points and you feel like you are getting a discount but it is not below the previous low.
taylor says don't go for it unless it is buy day and unless it is at least a certain distance below the previous low, and he says don't enter unless the action happens early in the day rather than at the close
you are just looking for a high made first or a low made first.... qualified by a certain minimum range on the move
.... i don't think anyone is trading taylor ..... that's good
.... and those that are just do their own thing with it, because they think his original system is outdated
.... people who post about trading on forums are jack asses, and that goes for me as well : )

Thank you again for the advice, I will renew my efforts.

(You do not write or sound like a jack ass).

friday is buy day but no buy day action yet.... so just wait

might have to wait until next buy day or even longer.... don't know

that's all it is
go back over the chart for the past,

Buying significant lows is wonderful in hindsight, you know then its a significant low, try doing that when its coming down and you dont know whats coming next :LOL:

Buying significant lows is wonderful in hindsight, you know then its a significant low, try doing that when its coming down and you dont know whats coming next :LOL:

Should not the part of his post you quoted been taken in context with the rest of his post?

if you have rules, then the market can only do two things.
it can either do what fits your rules for entry, or not.

friday no buy below
monday still no buy below
tuesday..... finally got a buy below thursday's low
simple

friday is buy day but no buy day action yet.... so just wait
might have to wait until next buy day or even longer.... don't know

i am sorry. i did not field your question in time .

monday,today, was a long below previous session low

if that does not hold, then tuesday will be a long below monday low.
i say a good rule of thumb is around 5 points below

however if it is at the bottom of a multiple day swing, i would say ten points below the previous low.

i work with ten_s so right now the pivot on ES is 67. so i would look long at 57 or below during globex.

however if 57 is hit during globex and another high pivot sets up, tomorrow trading hours could be something else like ten below that next high pivot, whatever it turns out to be

strictly speaking though, anything below the monday low. during tuesday trading hours.

what that number of points is for you, will depend on your system and backtesting.

taylor did not use stops. if he got stuck in a position long, he would change his target to, the previous low itself. in other words a break even target.

but at the same time, he would not usually take a long unless the down move below the low, occurred early in the session

and actually, if the buy day low did not hold, he would not enter a new long on sell day unless certain conditions were met.

defensively speaking, your main objective is to not get caught going long on the first down day of new down swing.

something that helps, is to keep the daily chart up and pay attention to bull flag formations on that daily chart.

if you are trading off of the 5 min chart, make sure you know where the last swing low is on the hourly chart because that is your next higher time frame.

keep in mind that there are two big gaps below on the trading hours chart.

trading multiple contracts is important because you need to be able to take a partial profit on a move to the previous low, in case price cannot move above it.

just some ideas.

you must come up with your own rules and back test extensively. the rules must match your personality or it will never work.

if you can't backtest then you are just wasting time.

So on Monday(14Jan) look for a low below Fridays (11/Jan) low?
Any opinion on how far below?

I read that there's a book by Linda Bradford Raschke (and Laurence Connors) called Street Smarts: High Probability Trading Strategies... that discusses the Taylor technique but it's pretty expensive. I saw there is a copy of it being distributed on the eDonkey 2000 network (eMule).

I don't think this is an appropriate forum to discuss or share where and how copyrighted material can be stolen. Thieving is thieving: would you steal a paper copy out of the bookstore down the street? The same morals apply. If you want the material, you should compensate the author and publisher who invested their time and money to make it available. In my moralistic opinion.

Last edited: