The "nav-link" virus

mike.

Just a quick heads up guys and gal's, There is a malware virus doing the rounds at the moment, I found it in my "world clock's" app that i use in google chrome.

If some text on various web sites including this one looks like this Example

When you hover your mouse over it, a box opens and links you to some advertising company then unfortunately you have the virus. ( Google "nav-link virus " ) I know some of you use the world clocks app.

I had mine installed for a couple of weeks before it raised its ugly head (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: WR1
Just a quick heads up guys and gal's, There is a malware virus doing the rounds at the moment, I found it in my "world clock's" app that i use in google chrome.

If some text on various web sites including this one looks like this Example

When you hover your mouse over it, a box opens and links you to some advertising company then unfortunately you have the virus. ( Google "nav-link virus " ) I know some of you use the world clocks app.

I had mine installed for a couple of weeks before it raised its ugly head (y)

I use Norton's Internet Security on all connected devices. Would recommend. (y)

As this is a advertising virus, it seems to sneak under the watchful eye of most anti-virus programs, I noticed it first when i logged in here, every post i visited had certain words coloured and underlined, took me 2 hours last night to identify it and get rid. I have installed on my p.c, avast anti-virus, ccleaner and spybot, none of them found it after multiple passes. its a proper little bar steward :LOL:

As this is a advertising virus, it seems to sneak under the watchful eye of most anti-virus programs, I noticed it first when i logged in here, every post i visited had certain words coloured and underlined, took me 2 hours last night to identify it and get rid. I have installed on my p.c, avast anti-virus, ccleaner and spybot, none of them found it after multiple passes. its a proper little bar steward :LOL:

I would still recommend paid up version to be honest. In this day and age it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

There are new viruses being written all the time and really need a paid up one to be able to detect and react to new threats. Even then it is still possible to get zero-day-virus threats. In this case a paid up AV provider will be quicker to respond than a free-bee.

In a test DR scenario - the system was recovered prior to firewalls being established and within 10 minutes host of viruses and threats were detected on restored exchange box. There are geeks out there now as we type just seeing what they can get into.

Be safe use good paid-up protection... :cheesy:

I don't know if anyone here has suffered with something that may be similar to this....the dreaded Delta search infection.

If you have, I used this guide to remove it. Did the job perfectly:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-delta-search/

I run paid (Norton) security but it does jack all against this PITA.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone here has suffered with something that may be similar to this....the dreaded Delta search infection.

If you have, I used this guide to remove it. Did the job perfectly:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-delta-search/

I run paid (Norton) security but it does jack all against this PITA.

Not a virus. Sounds like another one of those browser add-ins you may have installed / acknowledged unwittingly.

Not a virus. Sounds like another one of those browser add-ins you may have installed / acknowledged unwittingly.

Well I'm unclear on the precise definition of a computer virus, but this thing certainly spreads itself through numerous programs and files and changes settings etc. Sometimes this can be under the cloak of installing a toolbar, but once in the system it's a real issue if you don't know how to remove it.

It took up alot of my CPU and memory if I remember correctly too.

Last edited:
Well I'm unclear on the precise definition of a computer virus, but this thing certainly spreads itself through numerous programs and files and changes settings etc. Sometimes this can be under the cloak of installing a toolbar, but once in the system it's a real issue if you don't know how to remove it.

It took up alot of my CPU and memory if I remember correctly too.

Nuisance program as part of a free-bee I bet. They collect surfing data for sure and who knows what else.

I'm sure they now know your shoe size and what all your friends and relatives - are going to get for xmas. ;)