The hard learned Stop Loss lesson

Yes - I can see what you're saying. I guess I was wondering whether this was a subject that had been looked at with a degree of mathematical analysis?

Math just does not work. Its more intuative after a lot of looking and studying price action. Look in the graph rather than at it.

New_Trader,
Why do you persist? Do you not see this is a complete waste of your time?

Your realisations and self-discovery should have taught you (they have taught me) to not waste valuable time arguing with strangers.

Come on fella, you need to be better than that.

Do you honestly want the majority of the people to understand how the market works? And be traders?

Now thats a heck of a challege ... there was a previous contributor to these boards, who also wrote in purple!! that did a much better job than I could.
Its a very long read. http://www.trade2win.com/boards/psychology/10672-journey-basement.html

Thank you for the link. Funnily enough this was on my list of threads to read - I guess that's this week's reading material taken care of!! I have read a number of their posts / threads previously and found them highly informative.

Last edited:
Math just does not work. Its more intuative after a lot of looking and studying price action. Look in the graph rather than at it.

Looks as though kitejedi and I were on the same thinking, as mentioned 'up thread' I also wondered if there was some kind of average fixed number you more experienced guys had come to recognise as a stop loss suggestion as for me it appears that the losers (when I lose 25-30 pips) might as well have been 10, but there are times when it does go out to a 30 loss (just keeping me in) and then coming good. Generally with these 'bad trades come good' I've been right in the trade, but just a little early in predicting/identifying the trend...

Looks as though kitejedi and I were on the same thinking, as mentioned 'up thread' I also wondered if there was some kind of average fixed number you more experienced guys had come to recognise as a stop loss suggestion as for me it appears that the losers (when I lose 25-30 pips) might as well have been 10, but there are times when it does go out to a 30 loss (just keeping me in) and then coming good. Generally with these 'bad trades come good' I've been right in the trade, but just a little early in predicting/identifying the trend...

Black Swan,
It does look as if we are singing from the same hymn sheet. As you may or may not know I am certainly not 'experienced' so feel free to discount what I am saying, but one thing I am seeing with the way I am trading is that the trades that really work for me in terms of pips gained need little or no stop and that they work almost instantly. Whenever I pull the trigger and price comes off by more than approx 10 pips, or doesn't go into profit extremely quickly then it will fail. Although I have a max stop of 15 points, my average loss per losing trade is now down to 12 points as I think I am starting to see when it's going wrong. I would have a narrower stop in the first place but I'm still trading limited risk with IG and they won't allow me to set a stop less than 15 points. In terms of background I trade forex on M15 and am predominantly looking to capture the start of short term (50-150 point) trends from their initial breakout.
HTH
KJ

Albert Einstein - "So long as there are men, there will be wars."

Poor kid who started this post to get some advice must be sad.

(n)

Unlimited ways to trade? :LOL:

I will say that there are an infinite number of incorrect ways to trade and only a few correct ways. The few correct ways are built on the same foundation of understanding though. The infinite other are hit and miss systems built on ignorance.

Let me ask you a genuine question.

It is a fact that there are very successful system traders out there. It is also a fact that there are very successful traders that use indicators as the base of their trading style. How can you reasonably discount this fact and believe that your way is ultimately the right way?

I fear that i'm not having a discussion with a person of reason, or we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

Last edited:
hi there !!

always use a trading platform where you have stop loss facility....always use stop loss limit order to save your trade from sinking

I fear that i'm not having a discussion with a person of reason, or we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

trying to have a discussion with n_t is like trying to play football against San Marino:

too easy, largely pointless, unrewarding and ultimately not much fun

WTF?

Didn't this guy ask for a bit of help because he lost a lot of money? Why don't you experienced guys just tell him what you think he should do and then open a "New_Trader's p*ssing contest" thread?

Today I have to say Ive learned my lesson on stop loss.They warned me on here
to use them ,everyone uses them.I have been trading for 6 months now and never
used them .Didnt know about stop loss until a few days ago when i joined here.
I thought i would have the discipline to get out when i needed to.

But emotions got the best of me.I had to get back to even no matter what as i watched my money drain more and more .

Wouldn't accept a 600 loss no way,then it was 1500 nope gotta hold it will drop just watch any minute now -itl come back,ul see.By close yesterday i was under 2,500.So I thought ok hold and itl drop in morning.Stock opened 2.00 up higher,I still held it!
Stubborn stubborn stubborn!!!!
I said it will drop by 10:15 when market reverses.It went up another 1.00 finally I got out.Couldn't take the pain anymore.In one day from yesterday til today lost near $8,000.That's alot considering I had only 10k profit from trading at this point.
Guess ill start over this time I will use a stoploss and let the broker get me out
automaticly so there's no emotion.Guess i didnt have the discipline I thought I had.
They told me on here ur gunna blow ur account stop now.When they told me that I planned on a stoploss of .50 that i would do myself I never did hit that BUY TO COVER button.
Don't know If You guys post ur bad trades or major losses buy anyway
Learned my lesson hopefully.Maybe its not too late.Still have 2,000 left for now.
Tradings my only hope of quiting my job and having freedom.Now I feel so desperate.

I am not trying to be a smart as.... but try to detach yourself from greed first and try to be more realistic

and btw, who changed my flag to SA ?!

the trick is to run your winners, NOT your losses !

I too blew almost £10k trading with no stops and let me tell you, no amount of Hoping, praying or cursing will make the market come back. even if it did come back 20% you would have held on longer hoping it would come back more, then it could have taken off again !!

its only money, put it down to a learning experience and demo demo demo until you can prove to yourself that you can do it !

I'll take a pop at n_t wherever and whenever he pops up spouting his usual shyte.

he is a menace and taking his advice is dangerous for newbies

This guy just lost 8k and when he came here trying to get a bit of hope and help all he gets is people arguing about N_T's trading style when the fact is everything NT says makes sense for the way he trades and he'll never change his opinion as he's as stubborn as brick wall... with good reason. Why the f should somebody consider trading a diff way if they are consistent?

Just help the guy out a bit and I'll start a thread called "new trader is better than all of you and you all pretend you can trade" if people want a place to argue. People argue in my threads anyway.

Im not arguing with N_T's trading style.

He would never trade in the way that I trade, and I would hope that he respects that I would never trade in the way that he trades. Sadly he does not, he feels that his way is the only way. His flaw not mine.

This guy just lost 8k

so what ? he'll get over it.
You make it sound like the End of The World ?

and he's already had plenty of advice, as well as coming to see the light for himself

but why the eff I've allowed myself to be dragged into an argument with the guy voted by T2W members "most favourite to be executed", I don't know ....Malins, you're another for the ignore list, so don't bother responding ...

Last edited: