The FTSE

Hi UK

For me the finish was one of those "too close to call" as you say we both got the direction but were slightly out on the figs so I think we should declare that one a dead heat.

dc2000 said:
Hi UK

For me the finish was one of those "too close to call" as you say we both got the direction but were slightly out on the figs so I think we should declare that one a dead heat.

DC2000,

Spoken like a true sport.

Should we ever meet I'll still buy you a pint.

UK

Gordon Browns missing billions:
In the last eight years, Dilnot has seen much of his scepticism proved right, as Brown has steered the British economy from a budget surplus of nearly £20 billion into a budget deficit of over £30 billion. This £50 billion negative swing in our economic fortunes represents a cost of around £1,000 per year for every adult in Britain. And there's worse to come.

Dilnot embarks on a personal journey to uncover the expensive mistakes in Brown's economic policy which have led to failure to transform the health, education and transport systems, inequality going up not down, financial waste and the breaking of Brown's own famous 'Rules'. The consequences of Brown's misjudgements, Dilnot warns, are something we will all ultimately have to pay for.

http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/G/gordon_browns_missing_billions/index.html

OnTV channel More4 20:10 tonight

'Allll Aboard!'

Racer,

Thanks for that news insight which I've read and digested.

I view the economy as being a train. It can travel up and down the line. At the moment we are all aboard travelling up the line. Unfortunately, no one's working on the line ahead, and so, we don't know what lies beyond or how far we'll travel before turning around.

UK

Or if the buffett car is fully stocked with BR sandwiches, you know the ones, bread with curled up edges lasercut slices of ham 5 micron thickness. If we are not then we will have to detour to stock up.

Speaking of detours the FTSE Monday well just take it as red or should that be read

Hi people

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information. I am looking for a website on the net which can sime provide me info on where the ftse will be in relation to the previous day. All i need to know is whether it will be higher or lower than the previous day. Dont need to know by how many points etc or anything further than that. I realise that this will be a "prediction" but was hoping there be some analysts who put the info on the net for those of us dnt do tech analyses ourselves

Many thanks.

The FTSE Monday, 14th November 2005

Fridays results:

Open: 5439.

Close: 5465, up 41pts. As predicted, but, and to be honest, I expected it to rise 60 -70pts. Even so, the market pushed forward to a fresh 5 week high and has now almost recovered most of its October sell off.

Range: 5423 - 5468.

On the Month: up 148pts. It appears the market in falling in line with historical data for November in regards to years 1998 through to 2001. If so, the month will finish anywhere between 170 and 350pts up.

Last 5 trading days: up 42pts.

Dow: 10,686, up 45pts.

News items of note:

Sky News - 'Official figures this week are expected to show a record rise in bankruptcies from just under 36,000 last year to 46,000 this year.The steep rise is triggered not just by creditors but also by individuals taking advantage of more liberal bankruptcy laws.The

Financial Mail on Sunday says experts also blame the rising bankruptcy rate on an easy availability of credit over the past few years.'

Bloomberg - 'Stocks, buoyed by well-received earnings reports and lower oil prices, wrapped up their longest series of weekly gains since July.

"Earnings are still pretty good," said Kurt Wolfgruber, chief investment officer at OppenheimerFunds Inc. in New York, who oversees $155 billion. "It's going to be pretty tough to see anyone really going to try to push this down." He expects U.S. stock prices to rise another 5 to 10 percent by year-end.'

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'U.S. stocks are poised for a rally this week as lower crude prices fuel investors' optimism that businesses and consumers will get a break from high energy costs and have more cash to spend this holiday season.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday stated a medium to a strong rise. Monday, no clear indication.
Companies reporting:

HSBC [should be OK]
O2 [might be a nice surprise here]
Old Mutual
Chrysalis [ should be Ok]

In all, not enough to add momentum to the market. But I have a gut feeling the bulls will come out to play tomorrow.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's rise will effect the FTSE tomorrow, although be it mildly; no clear defined direction from the charts; no market shattering news.

The week ahead: There's no less then 37 companies reporting this coming week, so there's a strong possibility that tomorrow will be a bull market, or, small to medium rises spread over the coming two days. In all, I believe this week has the capacity to challenge the 5500 barrier and, I'm being bold here, still have momentum to head butt 5535. As always, we will see.

Early gut feeling: a 60% chance of a rise.

Will I bet? I don't normally bet unless I'm 80% confident of the markets direction, but I believe this week, as a whole, will be up.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Evng UK

Looks like we may be on opposite sides of the river this week I also believe we could challenge the 5500 but I want a much better price if I am to take a long position. for me Mondays price/time action will be a very important signal for the next move

If everyone is thinking long..

the FTSE will no doubt decide to fall ;)

I think we are facing a period of congestion ubtil we can break through the 5500+ barrier, and only a twerp with other people's money is going on that adventure.

Close but no cookies in the oven yet another five will see me come alive

filled @ 81

Last edited:
Ill move my stop to breakeven when we reach 65 and take profit at 51 that should pretty much do me for the FTSE today

saj123 said:
Hi people

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information. I am looking for a website on the net which can sime provide me info on where the ftse will be in relation to the previous day. All i need to know is whether it will be higher or lower than the previous day. Dont need to know by how many points etc or anything further than that. I realise that this will be a "prediction" but was hoping there be some analysts who put the info on the net for those of us dnt do tech analyses ourselves

Many thanks.

There's this woman I know. Goes by the name of Madam Markit. See's many an Index in her crystal ball.

Sorry, but I don't know of any web site that can repeatedly claim, successfully, which direction the market will move.

If you do find one let me know.

UK

LOL

Saj trading is not about knowing whether the market will close higher or lower its about limiting risk for entry and having reasonable expectations for exit

Shorting and dividends

Just wondering how many people actually hold short positions overnight such that they will attract a FTSE dividend adjustment. This obviously will act as a slight drag on your position normally offsetting any interest received from the short position.

Is there any general strategy people follow to minimise this or do you just accept it as a cost of doing business. I have generally been closing out short positions before the end of the day.

Cheers,

Ben

I generally close FTSE short positions at end of day unless there is an expectation for a large fall in the Dow