The crude salary question

kagein

Hi, can anyone tell me how much a typical sell- side analyst would make as compared to a buy -side analyst in the UK. I've asked a few people but never get a straight answer. So i was wondering if one of the Geniuses :cheesy: on the forum could help shed some light.

what level? Associates, senior analyst, head of team? Also depends on the house. A blue-chip IB will be the best of the lot, but a good buy-side house is likely to pay more than a second rate sell-sider. I've never completely understood the economics of the sell-side 'tail' - ie forty analysts covering Vodafone, what value do those below, say, the top-eight possibly add? Working hours are very different between the two sides, too.

Bear in mind buy-side is usually a training ground for fund management while sell-side is an end in itself. This site will give you a bit of a clue:

www.efinancialcareers.com

EDIT: Here are a couple of examples:

Senior analyst in a 'hot' sector in a blue-chip IB. At their desk 7am latest (possibly much earlier on a 'news' day). Will finish sometime between 6pm and midnight depending on what's going on. Occasional weekend work. Pay, six figure basic and bonus of multiples of that. Certainly potential for a decent seven figure package, but more likely solid mid-six figure. If markets are bearish then low-to-mid six-figure range (or just sacked, LOL). Things took a bit of a knock in the post-Spitzer fall-out because it was difficult to link analyst pay to M&A revenues. Buy-side for a typical long-only type blue-chip fund managers - working day 8-ish to 6pm-ish, rare to work weekends. Probably similar basic but bonuses only to 100% or so. But most buy-siders want to be a PM, where the rewards are better and work much more interesting, and most funds are set up so their best analysts follow that route. Hedge fund buy-side analyst, somewhere in the middle of the two, both in terms of pay and hours.

Last edited:
I was most interested in an associate level analyst. i was told that although bulge bracket banks pay the highest base salary, at a smaller house you could make more money because you'll be able to make commissions based on what clients you bring to the bank. True?

Also is it easier to become a buy-side analyst?