The Complete Vwap Strategy

Paul

You may be right, stopping to soon is still a trait I need to overcome.

Dave

Dave,

Not at all, as soon as I had posted that the futures and GILD
jumped up. What I may have done was sell half where you did
and then see how the rest performed.

Paul

Paul

Do you have the GILD VWAP chart as it is not one of my 40 stocks ?
I just want to see if GILD met its VWAP before flying ?

thanks

Tony

It gves the high/low of that day, I tend to use the previous days high and low as a secondary indicator.

DaveGos trade

Here is Dave's Trade as requested by Grey1.

Paul

Attachments

• gild 2nd feb.png
    gild 2nd feb.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 369
The markets are giving me nothing at the moment so I thought I'd explain why I took the GILD trade any comments are very welcome as I am fairly new to trading, 1 year, and am still most definately at the bottom end of the learning curve.

My scanner had picked up GILD and I monitored it as it touched the VWAP upper band, this was also a new high on a relatively low volume bar. I tend to work from very simple 2 bar reversals and received this the next bar after the upper band was crossed. At that point I shorted at 56.25 with VWAP AT 55.60, I had a stop at 18 cents giving a RR of 3.6. I exited at 55.85 giving a final RR of 2.2, I left the trade on a hammer candle.

sorry guy , COST hit its stop with -7c. The stop was too tight and was a MM level I was comfortable with ( so lost 2500@7 ). If I had a pair trade, I would let the stop to be much wider.. Cost is currently @ 37.46 ..

further depth of the market on NVLS if the stock falls below 33.73 and more bidders appear from no where then I am out .. As simple as that .. just look at bidders sitting below my entry of 33.78.

Currently trading 5 C above my entry but donot like the look of 33.75 and 73 bidders

Regards

Attachments

• nvls1.png
    nvls1.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 241
Stopped out for -22, I dont really think I am going to get on with this risk 2/3 of vwap approach.

Paul

Paul,

Great trade never mind about the loss.. We post our trades in real time than being disrespectful to our friends and insult their intelligence by saying just made $2 from a trade without a shred of evidence that trade has even taken place..

It is a very very tricky day no doubt about it..

Up until now I am down 11C@ 2500 for to day ..

No problems what so ever ..

PS:-- if i had a pair trade signal it would have been great as market is oscillating and there would not be an over all losing position .. but with 40 stocks only the strategy is rather limited

Grey1,

Yes I am not unduly phased by this as it happens and I will post the chart later.

I am interested to know your reasoning behind the Limit order for this trade at $33.78 ? I would appreciate your comments.

Paul

Paul,

When NVLS was trading @ its lower VWAP 33.95 there was over 11000 bidders @ various levels well below your entry .. This is clearly shown in the first L2 posting by myself..

The only level I could find safe to enter was a 33.78.. Shortly after my entry Dow fell and I expected more bidder below my entry to move in and they did as you can see in my second L2 screen .. We suddenly had bidder @ 33/73,75 so I go out..

The two charts need little explanations..

The bad news was that I did not have a second pair to hedge against NVLS apart from that I am happy withthe trade and my stop loss..

I am afraid this is trading.. Once my scanner is sorted I would never single trade an oscillating market..

Here is the Chart of the NVLS trade which resulted in a loss of 22 points. There are a couple of things regarding this trade that are different to how I could have traded it.

When I got the alert and got filled the price was 33c away from VWAP so based on the recommended stop I decided to risk 2/3 of this which was 22c. Normally I risk a lot less than this but I am open to new learning.

I could have paired this trade, albeit later, with IACI but decided not to.

So the result was a loss of 22 points but you cannot win them all and it is all part of trading.

Paul

Attachments

• nvls 2nd feb.png
    nvls 2nd feb.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 246