North Yorkshire
HD1 5AW
Date: 17 February 2010
Media:press general
Sector:Leisure
Number of complaints:1
Complaint Ref:105372

Ad
A press ad in the Racing Post for a cover bet system stated in bold text “over £37,500 PROFIT. 375+ POINTS PROFIT.” Smaller text stated “These profits are backing to win… PROFIT FROM 13 OCTOBER 08 UP TO END OF APRIL 09… For the first time ever we can get our stake money back on losers… The Cover Bet will place and manage that bet for you more efficiently than you can do it yourself.” Small print provided information about turnover figures.

Issue
The complainant objected that the ad was misleading because it implied that a profit could be achieved.

CAP Code
Response
Brimardon Systems (Brimardon) provided a brief explanation of their Cover Bet system and how the cover bet could win stake money back on losing bets. They stated that all the selections were proofed in advance of the races taking place by e-mail to their chartered accountants, Brays Ltd, and to the Racing Post. They sent a master proofing spreadsheet which contained details of the selected horse, race time and meeting and odds from 13 October 2008 to 30 April 2009 and their accountants provided copies of time and date-stamped emails in support of the claim. Brimardon also sent screenshots from the relevant bookmaker's website to prove the availability of their recommended odds.

Assessment
Not upheld

The ASA understood that the profit claims were based on Brimardons horse racing telephone selections and noted that the running total at the end of the period, set out in their master spreadsheet, exceeded the £37,000 figure stated in the ad. We noted that each recommended bet was lodged independently, by e-mail, with the Racing Post and Brimardons accountants before each race. We asked Brimardon to provide copies of over 100 of the proof e-mails, showing wins, throughout the relevant period, and we asked the Racing Post to provide a smaller sample of emails received, which we selected at random. We assessed the data and noted that the selections sent to the accountants and the Racing Post corresponded with Brimardon's master record and that the e-mails were sent before the start of the relevant races, which was confirmed by the electronic date and time stamp in the e-mails. Furthermore, we noted from the sample of sent e-mails provided by the Racing Post that the dates, times and content of the e-mails corresponded with the received versions held by Brimardon's accountants. We also noted Brimardon included screen shots from the relevant bookers website confirming the availability of the recommended odds for the horses Brimardon had advised.

Because we considered that the two selections of proofing e-mails provided by Brays and the Racing Post verified the accuracy of Brimardons records between October 2008 and April 2009, we concluded that they had substantiated the profit claims.

We investigated the ad under CAP Code clauses 3.1 (Substantiation), 6.1 (Honesty) and 7.1 (Truthfulness), but did not find it in breach.

Action
No further action necessary.

Adjudication of the ASA Council (Non-broadcast)
link
http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints-an...ns/2010/2/Brimardon-Systems/TF_ADJ_48086.aspx

I don't dispute for one minute that their system makes a profit. What they are reluctant to disclose is the fund that is required. I could be very happy with 375 points at £100 a point, but it would be beyond my reach if the fund needed to be £100,000 which I have heard is about the figure.

You have quoted the letter of the law. That's fine, but what about the spirit of the law?

Brimardon are just too willing to be economical with the truth from the point that they are very reluctant to say what reserve or fund is needed to achieve the advertised profits, but all to ready to shout the profit at the top of their voices.

The fact that they don't offer any refunds is something to be very wary of. It irks me greatly that I was such a bloody idiot as to get taken by them.

Yes my fault, I know.

Sandfire

If one is susecptible to useing any kind of system may get along very well for a while,but in the long run will fail

This is simply not true, there are people who use automated systems on Betfair that "trade" the price differences and they do make money on a consistent basis. It does not mean that they are lazy and only that they have found an efficient method of making money.

There are also systematic methods of selecting horses which can also consistently make money as well.

Paul

This is simply not true, there are people who use automated systems on Betfair that "trade" the price differences and they do make money on a consistent basis. It does not mean that they are lazy and only that they have found an efficient method of making money.

There are also systematic methods of selecting horses which can also consistently make money as well.

Paul
Am sure there are, I am willing to post selections on this F which I feel that will not win, These selections will all be priced under 7-1, You will see comments on each selection as to why they will not.

I am not unafaird of being wrong because I ackowledge equally that I can be right!!

2:15 Perth
NEDZER´S RETURN needs only to translate a portion of his chasing ability to hurdles to beat some ordinary opposition. No this not what I think but what Diomed in the RP Thinks.My view is that you should not even think about backing this horse at its current price of 1.60 if you was thinking about backing him why not give your money to a charity and I don't been the bookies charity, there are factors which indicate that this horse might not win, and they are, It as fallen 3 times,UR rider twice All 22 of its runs have been on easy ground, There is no clear evidence that it can act on Firm,As never contended a hurdle race under rules,I feel that a horses ability as chaser bears no resemblance to its ability as a hurdler,ELCANOS priced around 10-1 is the horse which I feel could beat the Hot Fav, His form figures don't at first give you much inspiration they are are the type of form figures that make you walk up to the counter to back him then you change your mind!!!, I would ask you to walk back from the counter but not to throw your slip away but look at this horses form again, In its last 6 runs this horse as been beaten out of sight, In fact its still running as I write, that's how bad it is, But you should take note that all those runs were on soft ground, If you now look at its last 7 runs you will see that it was not beaten far in a group 3 race ON GOOD GROUND
This horse could have the class to beat the Fav,
2:35 Bath Cool Kitten Betting Forecast 3-1.Can this horse reproduce her 7f form over today's 1m distance?I would say no,If we look back at her last run which she won over 7f, I would say it was a hard fought victory, In my view a horse that wins in this manner as less scope for improvement.One positive note is that she won first out and is likely to be much fitter, However from the few runs that this horse as had I can see that that this horse maybe the type who runs well fresh, One other interesting factor I have discovered and that been that the trainer seems to do well on undulating courses such as Brighton, Folkeston, Goodwood, Ling, But his horses don't perform that well on galloping tracks such as Bath.
2:40 Curragh BETTING FORECAST: 5/4 Jan Vermeer , ZAYAAN Is the horse which May beat my lay selection, he finished a very close 3rd to Free Judgement who was second to Canford cliffs in the 2,000 Guineas yesterday and we now all know what a good horse Canford is,I feel Free Judgement was given far too much to otherwise he would have Finished much closer to Canford, Coming back to Jan, The stable do not seem to be firing on all cylinders Steinbeck was well beaten yesterday.
3:40 » Curragh 7/4 Cutlass Bay, Again it comes down to the state of the ground, There is no clear evidence that this horse can act on Gf, 4 of its 5 wins have been on soft ground, one on Gd. DIXIE MUSIC is here for the benefit of the fav Fame&G, A horse which I think might beat both is RECHARGE, He as been well and truly put in his place by F&G once beaten 24L and next time only 5L????? Why all the ?????? could it be that RECHARGE as not quite peaked yet? beaten once 24L then only 5L, You could say that he is running today for the Minor place prize money, This is where I beg to differ, This horse is still entered to run in some prestige group 1 races, I just feel he is a slow maturing horses and just maybe he might be up to the task, CW is a horse who is prov-en on the ground.

Brimardon Phone Line Results March: Staked 67 Points, Loss 30.75 Points
April: Staked 68.5 Points, Loss 30.5 Points
May to date: Staked 336.09 Points, Loss 29.25.

Todays phone line bets for Brimardon:

Cool Strike 2pts win at 7/1 4;40 Newmarket.

Hoof It 5pts win at 4/5 7;40 Haydock.

Kielder 2pts 11/4
Robinson Cruso 4pts 9/4 9;00 Pontefract.

Todays phone line bets for Brimardon:

Cool Strike 2pts win at 7/1 4;40 Newmarket.

Hoof It 5pts win at 4/5 7;40 Haydock.

Kielder 2pts 11/4
Robinson Cruso 4pts 9/4 9;00 Pontefract.
7:40 Haydock HOOF IT 4/6 I have tripped handicapped the last 2 races this horse won,

Diman Waters 2ndClose up on wide outside, effort to challenge 2f out bad draw

Towards rear, headway when not much room and switched left over 1f out, soon ridden and stayed on well final furlong (op 16-1)Imjin River finished 3rd

Trade Secret 4th
Soon ridden along towards rear, headway halfway, not much room and switched right over 1f out, driven and kept on same pace inside final furlong (op 9-1
I have also trip handicapped the race which he won at Bev, The second horse-Kellys Eye
Tracked leaders, headway 2f out, ridden over 1f out, staying on when hung badly left inside final furlong, kept on towards finish (op 8-1)

fancy swopping tips, i have a number of tipsters i use and can swop you for brimardon's selections? thanks

I Personally wouldnt bother, but todays advised tip is Eywa 3pts at 3/1 3;40 Brighton.

have you been a member for long, is that the phone service or the software service? i was interested in the brimardon system but heard nothing but bad reports, how would you rate it? thanks

have you been a member for long, is that the phone service or the software service? i was interested in the brimardon system but heard nothing but bad reports, how would you rate it? thanks

I have been a member for quite a while:

The phone line consists of horses to back selections and horses to lay. The Horses that are backed range on a scale from 1-10 points, but 3pts is the usual so according to their literature this 3pts would represent an outlay of £300.

The Lays are generally advised to achieve a 10 point profit. So if they advised a lay of 3/1 you would create a liability of £3000 in one bet.

Results for Last week of March: Lays - Points staked 42 = loss of 17.5pts
Back - Points staked 25 = loss of 13.75pts

Results for April: Lays - Points Staked 32 = Profit of 0.5pts
Back - Points Staked 36 = Loss of 31.5pts

Results for May: Lays - Points Staked 281.09 = profit of 2pts
Back - Points Staked 102 = Loss of 23.75pts

Results for June: Lays - Points Staked 118.9= Profit of 33.1pts
Back - Points Staked 132.5 = profit 26.2pts

Results for July to date: No Lays
Back: Points Staked 56 = Loss of 2.45.

The Software rates every race and they advise that you back the top 2 rated. But they advise that you dont back the top 2 in every race. They state that this practise will result in a loss. So the winners that are shown on the homepage are any winners from the top 2 rated from every race that has been run on the day.

Ideally you need to be proficient in reading the racing pages in order to be able to judge the selections provided by the software.

I have been a member for quite a while:

The phone line consists of horses to back selections and horses to lay. The Horses that are backed range on a scale from 1-10 points, but 3pts is the usual so according to their literature this 3pts would represent an outlay of £300.

The Lays are generally advised to achieve a 10 point profit. So if they advised a lay of 3/1 you would create a liability of £3000 in one bet.

Results for Last week of March: Lays - Points staked 42 = loss of 17.5pts
Back - Points staked 25 = loss of 13.75pts

Results for April: Lays - Points Staked 32 = Profit of 0.5pts
Back - Points Staked 36 = Loss of 31.5pts

Results for May: Lays - Points Staked 281.09 = profit of 2pts
Back - Points Staked 102 = Loss of 23.75pts

Results for June: Lays - Points Staked 118.9= Profit of 33.1pts
Back - Points Staked 132.5 = profit 26.2pts

Results for July to date: No Lays
Back: Points Staked 56 = Loss of 2.45.

The Software rates every race and they advise that you back the top 2 rated. But they advise that you dont back the top 2 in every race. They state that this practise will result in a loss. So the winners that are shown on the homepage are any winners from the top 2 rated from every race that has been run on the day.

Ideally you need to be proficient in reading the racing pages in order to be able to judge the selections provided by the software.

thank you for the info, the phone line does not seem to bad but dont like the idea of the software and making your mind up over the top 2. im very interested in the service however and looking for the phone line tips which are surposed to be the best or so im told. would you be interested in sending me the selections by e-mail or txt in return for a paypal payment??? for a month and see how we go, do they advise you take a price and does that price hold up or disapear quick? hope to hear from you and thank you for the information

I am not to bothered about a payment, my membership runs out at the end of this month, i can post the selections online, I dont bother backing them anymore. I tend to look for something that can beat their selection just for satisfaction purposes.

The selections dont generally change in price, which would sugget that there isnt an heavy wait of money being placed on them immediately after the message is put out. They advocate on some lay selections that you lay the selection in the 1st show, 5-10 minutes before the off.

i am not to bothered about a payment, my membership runs out at the end of this month, i can post the selections online, i dont bother backing them anymore. I tend to look for something that can beat their selection just for satisfaction purposes.

The selections dont generally change in price, which would sugget that there isnt an heavy wait of money being placed on them immediately after the message is put out. They advocate on some lay selections that you lay the selection in the 1st show, 5-10 minutes before the off.

yes please that would be great mate, just the backing selections from the phone line.i'llpost up any good one's from my services i have.

No win bets today just a 10pt lay of Lindoro 2;50 at Catterick.

Not one that i would want to take on.

Its a class 6 seller, alot of suspect animals.

yes please that would be great mate, just the backing selections from the phone line.i'llpost up any good one's from my services i have.