Tape Read (Time & Sales) Strategies

I guess this depends on how big the stops are you want to have.

If you want to learn the ES, then the best proxy to trade is the S&P. .

That in my view is absolutely correct. The only reason I haven't used the 500 stocks of the S&P was simply because I wasn't ready to pay Esignal the costs for 500 symbols. However, as luck would have it, a member of Esignal has been following my threads on ET and has kindly offered me a deal on all 500 symbols. Therefore, I will be using S&P as my proxy in the future...

Carton

The proxy you should be trading is the ETF 'SPY' - like I said 2.5 cent move there = 1 tick on the ES.

This is your ES 'trainer wheels'. Once you have become proficient - move up to the ES.

You cannot simultaneously trade 500 stocks. Not on any retail platform! The fees, slippage, screw ups would eat you alive.

Cheers

DT

Carton

The proxy you should be trading is the ETF 'SPY' - like I said 2.5 cent move there = 1 tick on the ES.

This is your ES 'trainer wheels'. Once you have become proficient - move up to the ES.

You cannot simultaneously trade 500 stocks. Not on any retail platform! The fees, slippage, screw ups would eat you alive.

Cheers

DT

DT,

I'm going to attempt your suggestion.

Cheers mate.

There's a guy on youtube, the daytrading room I think. He has some live tape reading clips and he used to offer a course, not sure if it's still available.

Each tick on the ES is equivalent to 2.5 cents on the SPY - so a 100 share trade on the SPY is equivalent to $10/point $2.50/tick on the ES.
what abt comms on the spy? it must be insane compared to the futures... no ?

to answer myself. it is of course not anyhow cheaper than ES but it is cheaper than I thought.

1 ES car is eq 500 SPY shares. Looking at IB (which I personally hate wholeheartedly) will cost you $5 RT on flat rate.

which is not bad. I know that there are a lot of idiots who are paying 5 bucks for futures round trip and more.

to answer myself. it is of course not anyhow cheaper than ES but it is cheaper than I thought.

1 ES car is eq 500 SPY shares. Looking at IB (which I personally hate wholeheartedly) will cost you $5 RT on flat rate.

which is not bad. I know that there are a lot of idiots who are paying 5 bucks for futures round trip and more.

but the spread is only one cent

Hi all

thx Eye of the Storm for the ref on youtube. I've find a lot of video of this guy.
I'm alqo looking for the tape and I have some questions: a transaction involves a buyer and seller. By the seller: we do not know if it closes a long position opened earlier or if it opens a short position. Same side of the buyer: he opens a long position or closing there a short position. It is not at all the same thing. All these questions seem important to be able to use this tool for trader, maybe it's silly.
It is strange to find very little about the subject, or very old things and then sold very expensive

Thierry

Every buyer is a seller.

BUT
Buy side liquidity prevents price from moving down.
Sell side liquidity prevents price from moving up.

Market orders consume this liquidity and at the most basic level it is this that enables price to move through liquidity.

Thierry

Every buyer is a seller.

BUT
Buy side liquidity prevents price from moving down.
Sell side liquidity prevents price from moving up.

Market orders consume this liquidity and at the most basic level it is this that enables price to move through liquidity.

THX DionysusToast
Fine, I understand that this information is of no use to trading.
What counts is the balance between buyers and sellers, when all that is on sale is purchased during montent and vice versa.
Is it not more useful to look at the DOM to be a little ahead of the flow forecast?

To continue that ribbon of thought. My tape length is 5 minutes. I use the 5 minute cumulative bid versus ask percent for my buy/sell indicator. I then apply the level to the bars of the candlestick patterns I trade, indicating their validity. I wrote my own software, I'll post some pics of past days trading soon. I'm out on the mobile now.

I have found that there is even more to it than just buy on weak sell pressure and sell on weak buy pressure even though these are the main tenants. When applied to multi bar patterns it can get even more complicated... This is great because once the good combinations are identified, the false signals are routed out more often than not.

Cheers