Learning tape reading

TAjammy, I am not suggesting you 'stick' to price action. Stick to whatever works best for you. The purpose of my post was simply to make note of the fact that tape reading techniques work well in today's equity markets as they may have in yesterdays markets.

Biggest advice i can give you is to not post setups on this forum... I can tell why your doing it, its not for feedback and to develop as a trader from more experienced advice... Its to try show everyone how 'smart' you are... And this isn't a criticism, i was the same.

Through believing you can call markets and through trying to show people you can you will create a disillusion of your trading ability... This in turn will mean that when your results give you the facts; That your inexperienced, new to trading and still driving with a big fat 'L' you will feel major disappointment and anger towards your performance because you are basing your expected results on your disillusional expectations of your 'super trader' illusion.

Therefore you will fear losses - The pain involved in them, the self-hatred, the disappointment, the anger @ your disappointment... Because you were basing your performance on a belief of a different skill level.

Fearing losses will start to make you try to avoid the possibilities of losses and in doing so avoid progression and the opportunity of learning and progressing... Hiding yourself away from the truth/reality which is that your just a noob. You will start searching for ways and excuses to avoid trading and avoid facing the possibilities of losses - Your perception of the market and perception of the probability of a setup to take or not will be seen with red-tinted spectacles.

You will become fearful of the pain that you associate with winners and this in turn will make you avoid them through excuses - 'How about a long/short approach, how about spreads, how about options where i know my risk before' always avoiding doing the trading that has the potential for losses because your scared they will become a reality and once again hurt your emotions, your ego and your beliefs about your disillusion.

When you experience losses you will feel angry, like the market is unfair, for not confirming your disillusion of how good a trader you are.... This in turn, thinking your better than you are will stop you learning the neccesarily skills that you need to progress to the next lesson...

You may disagree with me; and i'm not an expert on trading psychology but i feel that what i wrote is very relevant to you and until you can overcome it you won't go anywhere... You can try avoid it and think good trading skills will overcome it; It won't.

Concentrate hardly on your real motives for trading; I feel you will find that it was never the money... You wanted the market to tell you how smart you are, you wanted to show-off that you can trade, you wanted to prove to yourself you could do it, you wanted respect recognition and to impress your parents...
When you get losses - the pain is due to you PROVING that actually you aren't amazing, you aren't the best, you are a noob and this hurts because your motives were to prove the others...
You may find on this discovery that maybe trading isn't for you, or you can decide that actually you want to trade for the money... In which case you have to face these problems and get over them.

You can tell me that you don't have these problems but i strongly will disagree... I can tell :)
Your posting a random GBP/USD trade that you have no money on, having stated that you wanted the journal closed... It says 'LOOK AT ME! I did a trade, watch and see how right i am, i'm the best' - This will just feed the disillusion of your true skill...

I really advise that you stop all this and really focus on your behaviour before you develop very bad habits.

This isn't criticism btw; just serious advice you should take, face the psychology early, look into who you really are and what your problems are and weaknesses, find the sources...
Yes, you want to show everyone how good you are and show you can pick tops - Why? - Because you want approval - Why? Because... This you've got to answer... Because i'm insecure, because i've never been recognized as good at anything and you just want to show everyone you can, maybe its that you want to constitute trading abilities for lack of skills in other things... Whatever that may be; Maybe because you don't accept or like who you are; So your forcing yourself to be someone better and therefore every loss is an insult of your ego and another reminder of who you are and how much you suck ... Then you've got to think, but WHY do i not accept myself ...

Facing these demons and analysing yourself will be the hardest thing you've ever done; especially if you have deep-rooted fears, angers, hatred, depression... You have to get over the disillusion of your ability and face the reality of who you are; You will see how every behaviour you've ever done in your life has been to feed these insecurities, to hide from who you really are... Self-defensive.

At the end however you will be so relieved, your entire life will be better and you'll be a much, much better trader i hope.

When i analyse myself in such detail; Its annoying, i really don't want to - Its upsetting and brings up really painful things, but i know i have to... Everything then becomes better; You lose all the insecurities and behaviours that avoided the insecurities...

Let me give you an example from my own life... I use to hate teachers criticising my work ... Use to feel really insulted and angry when they said i was crap - Because i knew that i wasn't, i knew i was smart... I had a disillusion of my abilities and thus i felt anger @ a lack of fulfilled fake expectations. I couldn't face my skill-level and the results this achieved, so i blaimed the teacher and the subjectivity of the classroom rather than facing my own inability and improving myself...
I realise now that it was an insecurity with being analysed and i thought, why do i care about being analysed and i realised that it was a fear of losing ... I started making excuses for the exams before they even began so that when i inevitably failed i wouldn't feel bad... This in turn created me to be 'not caring' and not trying; so that i could hide from the disappointment of bad feelings which would finally tell the FACTS about my skill level ... I was hiding from these things and i thought why... Why am i insecure about my level of ability in school work, why am i hiding from finding the truth, and i found that it was because i wasn't happy with who i was; i wanted to be someone else; i didn't accept myself and therefore i hide from myself... Until i faced this i couldn't change and then i really analysed myself and why i don't like myself and i found out why and it was because of these reasons; Because i fear failing, because i make excuses, because i don't commit, because i never commited myself to working out, because i never bothered jogging and getting healthy... In understanding this it allowed me to change myself and it really did change my life...

Even looking back now; i think the reason i started trading; My true motive; was that i was afraid of failing in a 'boss-orientated' career - I was afraid of his criticisms towards me, afraid of failing a university degree, afraid of not achieving the financial success my disillusioned self thought i deserved.

I wouldn't face challenges with my full attention and objectivity and ability and therefore i would never do anything to my true real potential; always a fearful, 'criticizing' hideful attempt. Everything i've ever done has been based around avoiding my fears of criticisms of failure... I would avoid taking penalities in case i missed and got criticised because i had a disillusion that i was great at football - for anyone to tell me otherwise was a massive insult.

Until i identified all this; i wouldn't move past and improve myself... I don't think i could have ever succesfully traded until i realised my real motives and moved past them. I wouldn't face challenges with my full attention and objectivity and ability and

:) Hope this helps, even if its a tricky one :D

Last edited:
That definitely was the 'biggest' advice you could give him!

Like I said about 3 weeks ago, stick to what you're good at, if you can make money off daily/hourly PA then do that. Look around, the vast majority can't even make money full stop...count yourself blessed and stop ****ing around with random ****, this is real life not a Rocky montage.

:eek: totally right gladiator!

i don't know what it is, the reason why i chose to trade was because i had previously chased ways of making millions when i was 12,13,14, making up website ideas that were brilliant, but already done- time after damn time. Then i seen pursuit of happiness, this is were i can make millions, this is were i can earn the millions i deserve and will be a trading angel.
I think a problem is that because im younger than most who begin i have a sort of ego, that 'bleh that'll be sorted out over time, il be a guru in 10 years,nobody starts at 15, i have, i have an advantage...' aswell as feeling like i have to prove myself to my faimly and others who doubt this 'hobby' i get soemthing in me that says'heh, never mind them, let them study for decades to make a fraction of what you'll make'
My psychological problems , are that i need to stand up to losing, that i am not brilliant at the hands of the market, that i am not a guru-to-be. where to go from here.....

Last edited:
I don't know how you can justify saying that tape reading does not work. It's a perfectly legitimate method of trading now as it may have been several years ago. Many traders (including some on Trade2Win) successfully use tape reading techniques (level 2, time and sales, etc...) to trade and take consistent daily profits from the markets.
Try reading what I’ve actually written before deciding what point it is you wanted to get across anyway.

I said it doesn’t work the way Wyckoff used it back then.

And how many traders do you really KNOW who use it to ‘take consistent daily profits from the markets’ on here and elsewhere? You’ve actually traded with them and seen them use it? Be honest. No need to answer…

I think a problem is that because im younger than most who begin i have a sort of ego, that 'bleh that'll be sorted out over time, il be a guru in 10 years,nobody starts at 15

I started when I was 15 or so. You know more than I did then in fairness, although I was actually making very good money for a 15 year old, very consistently, due to a system my Dad developed which gave us about 30 points every single day for the best part of a year. I traded my £1000 a/c and made about £180 per week and my dad traded the same trades at £120 per point on the DOW. They were good days!
Wonder how many others started very young? You might not be as unique as you think!

got stopped out, twice :).

it was a good set up in my eyes, my TP was too far away, i noticed that price had been 'laddering' up , with noticeable swing highs and swing lows, i seen price move to a previous swing high, tehrefroe support...thought 'meh its headed down lower' perhaps on the lower TFs TP should be bent and altered whilst on higher TFs i've noticed price usually hits the TP

hmmm just doing some very intense PA research,300 pages in to j16 :)... just realising that money management methods are vital (imo) during daily trades, i was thinking about half way take half profit then stop at B/E, then J16 said the exact same thing so i agreed its a good way :). getting into the 'flip' points that he talks about, never noticed them before yet they are so vital

No, the exact opposite, please re-read my post. Education and having fun (responsibly) is much more important than trading for a teenager. The markets will still be around when he's my age, but there are lots of things in life that are best enjoyed when one is young. Surely there's nothing contentious in that!
Hi Timsk,

That guy, John, over at NO BS Trading is hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at the testimonial mock in the bottom part of the page. Have you or any one have any experience with his material? Don't mind forking for it, it would be an interesting read, I presume.

Thanks in advance,

Snake

Hi Timsk,

That guy, John, over at NO BS Trading is hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at the testimonial mock in the bottom part of the page. Have you or any one have any experience with his material? Don't mind forking for it, it would be an interesting read, I presume.

Thanks in advance,

Snake
Hi Snake,
Yes, I bought John's book last year sometime. If you're wanting to scalp the price ladder - then it's very good value indeed, IMO. The book is short but, as he says, that's because it's not padded out with the fluff found in most books and what you get is concentrated information. The bulk of it describes low risk entry strategies (about 8 in all, I think) just using the price ladder. As you might expect, he has very strong views and also tells you in no uncertain terms what to trade, how to trade it as well as what not to trade. (Hint: forex and options traders shouldn't get this book - you won't like it!) The other thing that's good about the book is that there's none of the usual marketing nonsense where by if you pay another $???? you get the really good material, the 'super advanced killer system' - or whatever. It's just the one book, end of story. Are the same techniques that John describes available for free on the inter web? Maybe, but given the time you'll spend trying to find them, it's probably 'cheaper' to spend the $40.00 (or whatever it is) on his book. I stress again however, that it's purely about scalping the price ladder - if that's not of interest - don't buy it.
Tim.

Let's just say this is living proof you are always a ****ing idiot when you start trading.

How long do you sit in trades for?
Do you buy and hold? Or once you got this feel for the market, combined with fundamentals and technicals, are you actively trading at an uptrend/downtrend range?
How many trades do you get in a day?

Tape reading is basically a way to get a market feel based on observing changes in the prices.
You need to watch the bid and the ask and, after years of experience, you can get a feel on the market.

I have been trading this way for many years.
Sometimes by just watching the bid and the ask, combined with chart work and a knowledge of fundamentals, you can literally FEEL when supply or demand is coming into the market.

Some of the best trades I have ever made have been with this type of market feel that comes from adept tape reading.

Basically, it's getting a feel for the market, combining it with findamentals and technicals, and then placing your trade.

You can become very succesful tape reading if you combine it with fundamentals and technicals but it takes years of diligent market observation.
This skill is well worth developing.