TalkTalk (broadband)

dada2826

anybody have any 'sincere' views about talktalk broadband: all i've heard so far is bad, but as is often the case this drowns out the good news...i don't want to switch from my existing Onetel broadband (which is v.reliable), only to end up with a non-functional isp.. was just wondering whether their 40G download limit per month is reasonable. i don't download files or music etc. i simply browse the internet, so do people think 40G per month is reasonable. it seems quite generous to me, but i need to know about their reliabilty as as isp...

if you are using streaming data services for charting etc, you need to check how much data flow your chart or order platform uses. Even if its only a modest 10kb / second thats over 36mb per hour, or most of the way towards a GB a day.

Wouldnt take a great deal of surfing, bit of skype etc to bump your data use over the limit.

Other factors to weigh up are contention ratio, 20:1 or 50:1 etc: the pipe may be 512kbps download, but if its contended (shared) between 20 other people, then you're down to less bandwidth than dialup if everyones using the net at the same time.

dada2826
When a new car comes out ,I never buy it straight away
I wait 9 month or so and let them get the bugs out of it

re talk/talk just wait , and after 9 month or so, you can make an informed decision :rolleyes:

arbitrageur, thanks for that. i would appreciate other people's comments on Talktalk as an an isp - reliability etc. also as an either/or option anybody have experience with Homechoice as an isp? thanks.

hornblower said:
dada2826
When a new car comes out ,I never buy it straight away
I wait 9 month or so and let them get the bugs out of it

re talk/talk just wait , and after 9 month or so, you can make an informed decision :rolleyes:

thanks, that's sensible advice. have a lovely three-day weekend.