T2W under fire

Are these DDoS attacks expensive to organise and execute?
I mean, could it be a disgruntled ex-member having a go as a cheap shot.
Or are they expensive enough to mount that the perpetrators have a genuine agenda aimed at some specific outcome?

Bit of a back-handed compliment, but T2W seem big enough now for people to take a shot at!
Good luck with the defences.
(hate the american-english spell-checker. It doesn't like my spelling of "organise" and "defence")

Another sustained attack this morning starting around 6am UK time.

Given it's on-going nature, I've tightened up again the defences on our side.

You should see a marked improvement in the next 30 mins.

Note: it does increase the chances of some genuine members being unable to access the site, especially from countries outside the UK/US, but I don't see we have a choice given the unprecedented scale of this attack.

grin and bear it chaps ..............keep calm and carry on

Another sustained attack this morning starting around 6am UK time.

Given it's on-going nature, I've tightened up again the defences on our side.

You should see a marked improvement in the next 30 mins.

Note: it does increase the chances of some genuine members being unable to access the site, especially from countries outside the UK/US, but I don't see we have a choice given the unprecedented scale of this attack.

Yes i do get error code 3 and 20 , but its ok i try again then i get in ...

Broken images should be fixed shortly, we shut down one too many hatch.

We're back in the clear.. for now. The 'Come on in!" sign at the front door has been replaced with a medieval fortress, moat, the works. Site should be as quick as your bandwidth allows.

Tar: I'm going to whitelist your ip so you shouldn't have any more problem. If any other members are experiencing problems send me your ip addresses by private message and I'll add them too.

For those interested, here's the DDoS in visual form from the last 12 hours...

bandwidth.jpg

We're back in the clear.. for now. The 'Come on in!" sign at the front door has been replaced with a medieval fortress, moat, the works. Site should be as quick as your bandwidth allows.

Tar: I'm going to whitelist your ip so you shouldn't have any more problem. If any other members are experiencing problems send me your ip addresses by private message and I'll add them too.

For those interested, here's the DDoS in visual form from the last 12 hours...

View attachment 178956

All these hits I guess should up the site in google rankings :)

Silver lining in every dark cloud...

Love the stiff upper lip and all that. Have a similar saying to NVP.

Keep calm, be nice and carry on (y)

All these hits I guess should up the site in google rankings :)

Silver lining in every dark cloud...

I'm afraid not, traffic to a site, without being driven by links to it, have no value, and in fact google penalises sites that are slow or unresponsive.

The only silver lining I can think of, are the supportive comments from the community.. like "don't let the **** get you down!"

Anyone who had trouble accessing the site today, might have guessed we had another sustained attack this morning that started around 7:30am UK time and went on until around 1:30pm UK time.

Each attack appears to be more aggressive than the previous one and requires us to take even more drastic preventative measures.

Last edited:
Can't you find out where the attacks are coming from ?

No doubt they are logging in to find out how it's going at your end ?

Last edited:
From the research I've done, the ability to trace a DDoS attack ranges from extremely difficult to impossible. To quote from this site: http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/52666/why-is-it-so-hard-to-trace-origins-of-ddos-attacks

Those DDOS attacks were performed using a botnet. A botnet is a network of consumer PCs infected with malware. Such botnets are routinely used for a lot of activities, most of them illegal or at least ethically questionable. For that reason the people who control a botnet do their best not to get found. They usually control their botnets using obscure methods of anonymous communication which are very hard to track back to them.

In theory it's a good idea. But the problem is the ips are coming from countries all over the world. Since we added DDoS protection last week, there have been some 23,021 threats detected. So given the little resources we have, the sheer scale of the attack makes impractical to really do anything more than try to protect ourselves. Sucks doesn't it!