T2W: Trashing the forums; damaged reputation; losing newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

trendie

Legendary member
If I were a newbie member, I would most likely read the latest "hot" threads, and possibly read the last couple of pages of a thread, before deciding if I should read a thread from the beginning.
For example, I would read last couple of pages of NVPs thread, realise its quality, and start from page 1.

However, if the last couple of pages is filled with irrelevant content, long posts of meaningless stream-of-consciousness, childish stock-images, etc, I would, as a newbie, unlikely want to read any more, nor be likely to join, nor contribute.

I can't help T2W is being irreparably trashed by the excrescent inanity of Fibo_trader.
This has stopped being funny.

I couldn’t agree more. Why we are putting up with him I know not.
Jon,
As a former Mod', you're better placed than most to answer your own (rhetorical) question. Assuming that everyone who objects to his posts reports them to the Mods - then it's reasonable to assume they take the appropriate action? That he's still here must mean that either members aren't reporting his posts or, if they are, that the Mods aren't able to ban him because he's not in breach of the Community Constitution? Personally, I don't see his posts as I've had him on ignore from about a week after he joined the forum. That solution works well for me, but I fully accept trendie's well made point that that doesn't help newbies who will find his posts very off putting.
Tim.

Surely the point is that his posts add very little of value to the site even if they don't technically breach any rules. It seems that like many other areas of life today, commonsense has gone out of the window – could it be that we will be breaching his human rights with a ban? :rolleyes: Yes of course you can put him on ignore but why should you have to do that? As soon as I start reading trash I just get put off. Much as I like T2W I often make Elite Trader my 1st port of call – it never used to be that way!

Of course, there is another theory: you remember how Sharky started some Python automatic trading coding? – Could it be that he diverged into other areas and has actually constructed a very advanced form of artificial intelligence which manifests itself as Fibo and we are the guinea pigs?

Jon,
As a former Mod', you're better placed than most to answer your own (rhetorical) question. Assuming that everyone who objects to his posts reports them to the Mods - then it's reasonable to assume they take the appropriate action? That he's still here must mean that either members aren't reporting his posts or, if they are, that the Mods aren't able to ban him because he's not in breach of the Community Constitution? Personally, I don't see his posts as I've had him on ignore from about a week after he joined the forum. That solution works well for me, but I fully accept trendie's well made point that that doesn't help newbies who will find his posts very off putting.
Tim.

The community constitution is a total joke and is the reason why mods stopped moderating. It is typical of the way everything has gone, where the whingers and whiners managed to unduly influence the process. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Mods were purposely nobbled.
Mods used to have a Mod forum where evidence was kept, trouble causers were monitored and discussed continually. Actions were taken when individuals crossed the line.

Jon,
Tim.
Tim

In my day we used to moderate on the basis of what we thought was in the best interests of T2W regardless of the “rules”. As CV points out discussion between mods kept us broadly singing from the same hymn sheet.

I, too, have him on ignore and occasionally “unignore” when other comments in a thread don’t make much sense. When I do that I’m mostly horrified at how the thread has been trashed by his outpourings of “excrescent inanity” (how I love that phrase, trendie, and so apt too). It doesn’t have to be reported to be seen surely?

Just referring to the "Terms and Rules" suggests that any content submitted can be removed or modified and any membership restricted or terminated at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.

I'd have been amazed if there wasn't such a catch-all clause in there, and there it is.

What happens now?

As a mod from long, long ago, here's my 2p.

I rarely post on the forums these days because quite honestly I rarely post anywhere; it's a distraction to me. But, similar to my 'old friend' TheBramble who used to post similarly destructive comments, derailing of threads, pointless, inflammatory comments and generally try to rile people up, I'd have kicked him and banned him long ago, community guidelines or not. TB on occasion had something useful to add, admittedly, but with this ... er, individual, there's absolutely no benefit to any of his posts, it's just diatribe and constant trolling. He/She/It is on my ignore list too and I have little doubt he puts newbies and others off posting. I made a comment to Paul just last week about it, in fact.

Ideally, there would be more posts from the old posters like Skim and Mr Charts, and less of this idiot, but I expect those days are long gone.

@Trader333 & @Sharky
Given the general feeling above - which seems unanimous with no one coming out in support of fibo' - why not just get shot of him? Or, to put it the other way around, what benefits does he bring to the forum that warrant allowing him to stay?
Tim.

He's actually asked on numerous occasions to be banned and all his posts removed - why not do him the courtesy?

'Unfortunately, none of T2W's representatives could be reached for comment...' :rolleyes:

Jon,
Tim.

I've got FT on "Ignore" too (for the third or fourth time) so its a bit annoying that I might have to start reading his posts again in order to make any reference to Mods. He's driving a double-decker bus through this site and laughing all the way: he's not getting reported for driving issues because he's pushed other road-users onto the roadside verge...............

What is going to be done about this?

It's a tough one to gauge.
Putting someone on ignore certainly tidies up the "New Posts" list.
But, it allows someone to post scandalous and pointless drivel unhindered.
If you spot a good new thread, and then wonder why it hasn't developed, it's probably because the ignored member has damaged it by the time you unignore just to see whats going on.

I understand the Ts and Cs aren't necessarily being broken, but there is also the damage to the brand aspect, which is where how newbies perceive T2W comes into play.

I also understand the Free Speech aspect.
However, there is a world of difference between shouting "Fire" in a theatre, and someone who stands up and tells everyone how the play should have been put on. For hours and hours. And then gets on stage to show pictures of shows he's put on, in another theatre.

Anyway, this is my last post on this thread. I will leave it to t'Mods to sort.
Have a great trading week, and hope you're getting the lovely snowy/hail weather we're having here.

Just to add, T2W has an unwritten gentlemans agreement to respect info-rich threads (eg NVP Correlation, RachelFXs Setup thread, etc), and keep the banter to other light-hearted threads (Brexit, Trump, etc).
Thats part of T2W culture.

Fibo_trader either doesn't understand that, or is deliberately provocative about it.

I'm mulling over taking him off Ignore, purely so that I can identify material he's posted contrary to the Terms & Rules. What a pain in the apse.

Until the mindless trash from Fibo ceases I'm putting T2W on ignore!

Until the mindless trash from Fibo ceases I'm putting T2W on ignore!

I've genuinely thought about that. I'm not a prolific poster but I've always enjoyed the visits here so I don't like the idea of being pushed out by bad behaviour.

I've got FT on "Ignore" too (for the third or fourth time) so its a bit annoying that I might have to start reading his posts again in order to make any reference to Mods. He's driving a double-decker bus through this site and laughing all the way: he's not getting reported for driving issues because he's pushed other road-users onto the roadside verge...............

What is going to be done about this?
Hi Tom,
Your reply was in response to an earlier post of mine, so I'm thinking that your question "What is going to be done about this?" might be directed at me personally - rather than to the wider membership. If so, I'm no longer on T2W staff (and haven't been for a long time) - I'm just an ordinary member like everyone else. I assume that both Pauls (Trader333 and Sharky) have seen this thread and are considering what best to do and will post to it as and when they reach a decision.

@Lightning McQueen - if you're active in a Mod capacity and/or are in contact with the Pauls (and any other Mods?) - perhaps you could bring this thread to their attention please.
Cheers,
Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.