System sellers on T2W?

....couldn't have been worse ....

It may well have been worse, and that the advantage of knowing the statistical boundaries within which you operate.

Ive had years when random entries have totally outperformed solid well designed trading systems, due only to random chance.

If you had dog that pissed on the carpet, you could train him, and modify his behaviour by positive and negative reinforcement. Markets tend not to give positive and negative reinforcement, they give a random response, to what is in most cases, a random action.

So your dog pisses on the carpet, and you give him a hug and a bone, the day after he pisses on the carpet, and you boot him in the knackers, the day after he behaves and you kick him again, the day after he pisses and he gets a bone, the day after he takes a **** and he gets a hug, the day after he takes a ****, he gets another good kicking, the next day he behaves, he gets a hug, next day he behaves, he gets a swift kick in the balls. What's the chance of training a dog under those circumstances ?

Getting a grip on this stuff is difficult.

Hi Zup',
If markets are as random as you say and you treat them as such, then images like the one below must cause:
A. A massive anxiety attack or . . .
B. Hoots of laughter and derision?
In your case, I'm guessing B.
;)
Tim.
For zupcon.jpg

Hi Zup',
If markets are as random as you say and you treat them as such, then images like the one below must cause:
A. A massive anxiety attack or . . .
B. Hoots of laughter and derision?

No no no. I did not say that the markets where random. If you read my comments on various forums you'll see that I argue very stronly against the random market hypothesis. There are no end of statistical tools that will verify that if applied with common sense.

At times I find markets as predicatable as a clockwork toy. I have no doubts whatsoever that to some people with a better understanding, they are predicatable ALL OF THE TIME. I dont advise people to think in terms of prediction, its not useful.

When I first started trading, in the absense of evidece, I formed two hypothesis, either that markets where random and could not be predicted, or that they where not random, and could be predicted. It's probably better to pick one side of the argument and stick with it, but it doesnt matter which side you pick.

Recently i was thinking that in trading so many people (thankfully only retailers, so not much of the liquidity) trade on random reasons... Like utter randomnes; that have nothing to do with any variables that are important to the majority of volume.
All that does; is make the market more random.

Thankfully there are the majority of 'big boys' out there who actually have reasons to enter and exit, thus bringing order. And furthermore; there are people trading emotions out there; bringing even more order.

:)

T2W encourages open and rigorous debate by members on all subjects without fear of censorship, or being banned, or ridiculed, provided they comply with the site guidelines. However, that's just my perception!

Why was SOCRATES ridiculed and banned?

You are commenting as a member of the T2W staff, speaking for the official policies of the site. How can you make such claims when they are completely at odds with the recorded decisions of other T2W staff?

well I know nothing about the history of this site, past bannings, or past members. I have no loyalties here, no affiliations, no axe to grind. But yes...it seems a lil weird, to me, that of the 41 posts the above-quoted member has made so far...

25 of them have the word "Socrates" in them, and 23 are in purple, which (unless I have misunderstood) is something of a purple rag to a bull to some of the longer-standing members.

So far Ive seen 10, of 41, that fall into neither category. For the statisticians among us, I should clarify that those are not exclusive groupings, and may well include quotes by the poster of their own previous remarks. Equally, who tf can only quote themselves to support their own position?

I can't help feeling that any Athenian philosopher truly worth their salt would know enough about human nature to understand that being arrogant and patronising is not the optimum way to transmit their wisdom.

As Socrates himself would say (no, not that one, the real one)..."True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us."

Something that ccclarette658 would perhaps benefit from considering.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Hi ccclarette,
As to why he was ridiculed, the reply by 'dimsdaletraders' tells you pretty much all you need to know. As to why he was banned, I suggest you ask the Moderators. My experience of them is that they don't take the decision to ban any member lightly, it's very much a last resort.
You are commenting as a member of the T2W staff, speaking for the official policies of the site. How can you make such claims when they are completely at odds with the recorded decisions of other T2W staff?
The answer to this lies in the second sentence of mine that you quoted in your last post.
Tim.

I'm sure he committed some technical misdemeanour that was used as the final excuse, but the underlying reason was that he was banned because he told the truth.

It may be purely coincidental, and I wouldnt wish to jump to conclusions, but the start in the decline in the overall quality of posts did start to occur shortly after Mr Socco's departure.

I was informed last week by the site's founder that I also will banned. I will be no loss to the site whatsoever, I dont contribute anything of value, my posts attract practically no interest, and I can appreciate why he's taken that decision. Mr Socco however was different in practically every way, and I cant help but think the site perhaps shot themselves in the foot. I'm in no doubt that Mr Socco's presence probably caused an increased workload for the mods, and 1001 problems behind the scenes, but it was probably a price worth paying.

There are many who see this as something to be proud of...a bit like an asbo...badge of honour.:)

Oh well...crack on!