swingin' the ftse: 2008

Anybody planning on shorting the ftse at 1point below the last low of today? Voda's share prices are the down by the lowest in 20 years apparantly, and other banks seem down.

Thanks i'll check up my charts for voda later on. I was referring to what was being said about voda on bloomsberg this morning if anybody was watching it this morning around the london open. Hope im not being confusing lol.

yeh i think its what they meant :) looks like carphone warehouse is down a fair bit too. Anybody planning on shorting the ftse 1point below its last low since todays open?

I don't personally trade the index , but , looking a the charts it's been in a 25 point range most of the morning so a break of the lows could be a good selling point, just be ready to cut it quickly if the staes starts to rally...

shorted at 1point-ish below the last low with my broker at 13 with stoploss set to 25.5, survived the move upwards right to the pip, came back down soon after with a profit of 12pips, moved to break even, got taken out, shame to see it only moved up by another 2 pips before coming back down nicely.

oh well! atleast i had a free ride :)

Anyone making a decent profit? One way to lock in a profit is to close half and let the other half run with a stop at break even, or where you like. That's what I sometimes do when I have to stop trading and there are hours left before the close.

I agree Split, i've been doing that a lot lately, taking some profit on 1/3 of the trade, at least then if it goes against me i'm taken a something from the trade rather than another B/E or loss.

Probably a little bit of psychology, trying to ease the mental pain of losses...

Not making a decent profit this week, but thats how it goes, ups and downs......

Anyone making a decent profit? One way to lock in a profit is to close half and let the other half run with a stop at break even, or where you like. That's what I sometimes do when I have to stop trading and there are hours left before the close.

Hi split
Did my first trade in weeks, took 400 quid on a short from last few mins of yesterdays session and sold it this morning at 8.07am so a quick profit to get me back in the swing of things (no pun intended!):clap:

Steve

Well the bold will be in short at around 5332/3 and sitting a little underwater at the moment despite a promising first session (Day traders using the same set-up will have done ok). The less bold still await a close below 5335 before committing themselves.

Huge volume today - down to Vodaphone I guess, so it may not be that significant.

good trading

jon

A dull day for me. I had shorted the Ft but let it rise on me, making 9 points in the am. SP I closed half point profit.

I'm going to stand aside tomorrow as I am not sure of what will happen.

Those who take a stand----Good Luck to you.

Split

Damn it! Shorted FTSE Tuesday below Monday's low, stopped out Wednesday. Only consolations are I followed the rules and kept loss under 1% capital. Have set another sell order below today's low. The Dude abides.

Well the bold will be in short at around 5332/3 and sitting a little underwater at the moment despite a promising first session (Day traders using the same set-up will have done ok). The less bold still await a close below 5335 before committing themselves.

Huge volume today - down to Vodaphone I guess, so it may not be that significant.

good trading

jon

mmm, the less bold are counting their lucky stars while the bold are counting their losses after being stopped out !! Only the day traders came out on top - and not all of them!!

So where from here - a false signal or a false start? The bold may give it another go with a tester if today's low goes, an addition if the original (Monday's) assumed swing high bar's low goes and another addition if yesterday's low goes - but they will be watching the intraday action carefully wanting to see supporting price action and good momentum through those possible short entry levels. The less bold will still wait for a close below the original assumed swing high bar's low before committing themselves, although some may choose to work off today's bar and want a close below that.

good trading

jon

Well summed up Jon. My short will trigger under the low Wednesday low but I will cancel the order or close the position if already triggered if the Wednesday high goes. Again, my 1% maximum loss rule is applied so I am happy to be bold with the triggers while being cautious withthe equity.

This morning's news on the help, in the US, for mortgagees, could boost the market today so I may take a long stance. My basic plan, though, is to take the first pullback after the breakout, which strictly speaking means no trade for me, today, unless something shows up on the intraday that I like.

My short view is suspended because my main trendline has been broken.

That spike up and then all the way back down was very intteresting. I was going to short it but just ended up watching it. I think that shows there are still sellers in this market looking for opportunities.

I took my short at 5427 under todays previous low. I'm hoping this is more in line with this thread's rules or guidance. If I am honest I still dont really understand them but I'm trying. Stop now at BE although that may be a bit premature.

I took my short at 5427 under todays previous low. I'm hoping this is more in line with this thread's rules or guidance. If I am honest I still dont really understand them but I'm trying. Stop now at BE although that may be a bit premature.

atrim

The thread is primarily a practical extension of this T2W Day Trading & Forex Community and my comments mostly relate to that. It (the thread) has also expanded into a wider ranging discussion of various swing techniques and day trading thoughts.

good trading

jon

this market not giving much away - up, down, up, down. Overall trend is still down so current rally likely to fail. But as has been said, downtrend line breached by price and the whole world is keen to hear some news of a market upturn and get buying again. If we do go up, it will possibly be very fast. Starting to feel I should be in cash.