Best Thread Support & Resistance Explained

re: Support & Resistance Explained

Interesting stuff...from an initial glance through it seems like a lot of it is placing orders on behalf of Clients..

BBMAC - this is not a specific poke at you but In the case of short term trading the S&P, the above statement is not correct.

This is why I think we can comment on our own markets and timeframes but not see these as generalisations.

Specifically, if you said...

I was making a general explanation of the dynamics of support/resistance in prcatice and in that snse it is unarguable...Your experience in your market one your t/f (s) may not appear to be supported by the statement as much as some others on different t/f's in different markets. For me, I plot such potential support/resistance factors on a 1hr chart and above as this is the shortest widely used chart of those participants historically proven to move the market in the market I trade....Such factors plotted on t/f's below that are less relevant and theerefore less high in probability should a 'set-up' develop at the confluence of such factors that suggested a bounce is more probable, for eg.

G/L

Re point above about the t/f's you choose to look at , like price action itself the general rule is that it is more reliable on the higher t/f's...Look at cable today, the sell-off from yesterday's 6018 Hi doubtless shook out a lot of waek longs, and the asian session/early london saw a lo a few pips below yesterday's 5826 lo (point c) , I made the working assumption it was a small stop run and as there had been recent near-term buying from the area at points a b and c and it had the confluence of the daily t/f 38.2% 5503- said 6018 with base of the previous daily swing hi = potential rbs and ascending trend line on that t/f...there might be some buyers there...indeed there were.

Confluence is king again, not least in the potential supp/res factors (on t/f's that matter.)

G/L

Maybe you have got everything the wrong way around....maybe the people who move the markets DO see the horizontal line....and the more people that see the horizontal line, the more effective it is...

Right, well find us some of said people who move the market please talking about the line they're looking at on a chart :LOL:

The whole argument/discussion about support/resistance can be summed up thus:

There are areas and factors on a price chart that have historically seen imbalances of demand/supply or supply/demand, and have historically proven to be turning points in the market. I refer of course to previouis price pivots and other factors such as fibs/trendlines.

Sometimes the market respects these areas/factors if price tests again, sometimes it doesn't...and it is price action's behaviour leading up to and around them that can (along with some other technical tools if one chooses to use them) tell us which outcome has the greater probability.

It is that simple.

BBMAC - this is not a specific poke at you but In the case of short term trading the S&P, the above statement is not correct.

This is why I think we can comment on our own markets and timeframes but not see these as generalisations.

Specifically, if you say that support sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and it's as simple as that, then this is not always correct. Specifically on the S&P in the short term it is not as simple as that. You can often, but not always, tell whether support will be held or broken by watching the order flow but not the price action. Sometimes it is cut & dry. Others it is not so clear. Nothing on the chart will tell you whether it will be broken or not. Nothing in the price action you see on the chart will tell you this. It is only the examination of additional information that will tell you. This is very specific to this market and day trading and I cannot comment on it's use elsewhere.

In stocks, when a buy out is announced, the share price of that company will move up to the buy out price and stick to it with very little deviation. This will appear to be resistance. If the buy out negotiations fall through then price will drop. In the future, there is no reason to expect that buy out price to be resistance. The price went there because it had to, yet it has no significance in the future.

I wonder sometimes if people ever look at their failed trades and try to figure out why they failed and look to avoid the mistake. I would wager that most people do not.

Maybe you have got everything the wrong way around....maybe the people who move the markets DO see the horizontal line....and the more people that see the horizontal line, the more effective it is...

Yes - and that is the direct opposite of the hypothesis put forward in the post I was replying to.

Do keep up...

Specifically, if you say that support sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and it's as simple as that, then this is not always correct. Specifically on the S&P in the short term it is not as simple as that. You can often, but not always, tell whether support will be held or broken by watching the order flow but not the price action. Sometimes it is cut & dry. Others it is not so clear. Nothing on the chart will tell you whether it will be broken or not. Nothing in the price action you see on the chart will tell you this. It is only the examination of additional information that will tell you. This is very specific to this market and day trading and I cannot comment on it's use elsewhere.

In stocks, when a buy out is announced, the share price of that company will move up to the buy out price and stick to it with very little deviation. This will appear to be resistance. If the buy out negotiations fall through then price will drop. In the future, there is no reason to expect that buy out price to be resistance. The price went there because it had to, yet it has no significance in the future.

I wonder sometimes if people ever look at their failed trades and try to figure out why they failed and look to avoid the mistake. I would wager that most people do not.

Dealing with the 2 points highlighted above

1. I have no such reliable order flow info re the forex market, I rely on my trading edge which gives an indication as to the greater probability (break or bounce) which is rooted in the principle of confluence.

2. Failed trades fail for one of 2 x reasons

a. They were a good and sensible entry that just failed beacuse the greater probability indicated by the trading edge just didn't play out...fair enough
b. They were not a good and sensible entry...the trading edge was not present or only part of it's constituent arts were thereby decreasing the probability of a successful outcome over any given sample.

It is as you suggest, always a good idea to examine losing trades and obectively identify which of the 2 categories they fall into.

G/L

Right, well find us some of said people who move the market please talking about the line they're looking at on a chart :LOL:

Uhhh OK I'll just run off now and bring em right back to you.....just give me a few mins...no worries...I can hear them talking about that line right now....

Yes - and that is the direct opposite of the hypothesis put forward in the post I was replying to.

Do keep up...

No its not the direct opposite..its the same thing... sheesh...the line on the chart is just the visual representation of the concept of value or the memory of the twix buyer referred to by the OP...

Uhhh OK I'll just run off now and bring em right back to you.....just give me a few mins...no worries...I can hear them talking about that line right now....

Well it's a serious question... you propose there are all these market moving traders trading off this line. Surely you have some evidence for that?

Well it's a serious question... you propose there are all these market moving traders trading off this line. Surely you have some evidence for that?

Well, it wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true...

Well, it wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true...

Wow thats a great comeback...why don't you respond to the actual post instead of jumping on someone else's response with a silly statement, which presumably you consider wit ?

Or... Mr. Sandiwch... why not point to the speech of George Soros where he attributes his success to support and resistance lines?

Well it is and it isn't a serious question....so consider it if flipped the other way...are you saying that there aren't any large market participants who use S/R....? Can you produce the evidence for this ? In what format does the evidence need to be produced ?

By the very fact that major pivot points / support / resistance exist in forex markets, surely means that its not only the the £ 500 TA spread better who pays attention to said levels ? In a multi-trillion market ?

Or... Mr. Sandiwch... why not point to the speech of George Soros where he attributes his success to support and resistance lines?

Here we go again.. the good old George Soros card ...if George doesn't do it then it mustn't exist...cos every market participant must do it like George....thats the argument won ...

Is that your evidence then ?

Here we go again.. the good old George Soros card ...if George doesn't do it then it mustn't exist...cos every market participant must do it like George....thats the argument won ...

Is that your evidence then ?

Is that an argument then?

Seriously I don't even have to examine the merits of the arguments expressed within here... they're actually nonsensical.

Do you even understand why?

Well it is and it isn't a serious question....so consider it if flipped the other way...are you saying that there aren't any large market participants who use S/R....? Can you produce the evidence for this ? In what format does the evidence need to be produced ?

By the very fact that major pivot points / support / resistance exist in forex markets, surely means that its not only the the £ 500 TA spread better who pays attention to said levels ? In a multi-trillion market ?

How about finance job specs and requirements?

Is that an argument then?

Seriously I don't even have to examine the merits of the arguments expressed within here... they're actually nonsensical.

Do you even understand why?

Well they're not non-nonsensical just because Mr. Arab declares it so....

Why are they non-sensical ?

And producing the "would George Soros do it like that", is not a very sensical argument is it?

Last edited: