Sun Tzu - Art of War

Gordon Gekko

I'm looking to get hold of a copy of this book which a lot of good traders seem to have read. However a quick search on Amazon shows there are 160 versions! Does anyone have any recommendations?

Gordon Gekko> Books by Wee Chow Hou on the subject are highly acclaimed. I can recommend the one I have. ..........................SUN TZU War & Management ....Wee Chow Hou; Lee Khai Sheang; Bambang Walujo Hidajat......Publisher Addison-Wesley...ISBN 0-201-62858-9
A fascinating read.

Gordon the only 'trader' ive ever heard recommend this book
is you namesake in Wall Street, is this why you so interested
in this book?:

The public is out there throwing darts at a board, sport.
I don't throw darts at a board. I only bet sure things.
Read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War." 'every battle is won before it is
ever fought.' Think about it.

The one I have is The Way of the Warrior Trader by Richard D McCall, and that's good - it's the financial risk-taker's guide to Samurai courage, confidence and discipline.

donaldduke said:
Gordon the only 'trader' ive ever heard recommend this book
is you namesake in Wall Street, is this why you so interested
in this book?:

:cheesy:

No, thats not the reason!

Its been mentioned quite a few times in the Market Wizards interviews as well as in the Phantom of the Pits interview. Just wondering why? Thanks for all the recommendations. Will look into them.

Macho shoe repairers allied with psychobabble, for my uncynical view... it's generally hard enough to achieve high standards in skilled work/study by reading on the topic, without making it difficult on purpose by reading off-topic ;)
What's next, reading a cookery book before trying to rebuild an old Jag? I also think Sun Tzu would probably get creamed nowadays if he tried to take on any halfway decent army.
Reading other stuff for the fun of it, or to broaden knowledge and horizons is great, sidetracking in the hope of sneaking up unnoticed I'm not so sure about!

I've got the "Te of Piglet" by Benjamin Hoff.

It's heavy going and not immediately accessible as a text for traders, but if you can work your way through it, I'm sure you'll find it's far Superior to Sun Tzu's work.

I've tried 'Trading the Pratchett Way' -
which of course only exists in L-space, and contains some dreadful punes

The Art of War is much bigger than just trading - trading is too applied, mechanical and narrow a field for the book to really fulfil its potential. Rather, read it as a guide to principles one might use to improve one's life, especially as it relates to other people and situations.

On the face of it this is a field manual for generals but the guiding principles can be used for obtaining greatest advantage from any competitive situation. Don't expect your trading to radically change overnight, but your life might.

What art exactly is the the Art of War? - 'winning without fighting'.

Everybody with any ambition to improve their lot should read the Art of War. If its guidance resonates in any way, get the I Ching and use it, don't read it, its not a text that can be read from page 1 to the end. Don't get fixated on the mechanics of yarrow stalks and coins, frame your problem in your mind and let the book fall open. Read that part of the book and turn the problem round in the way the text suggests.

Again, trading won't radically improve, but you just might decide to tell your boss / wife / partner / husband where to stick it.

tomorton said:
The Art of War is much bigger than just trading - trading is too applied, mechanical and narrow a field for the book to really fulfil its potential. Rather, read it as a guide to principles one might use to improve one's life, especially as it relates to other people and situations.

On the face of it this is a field manual for generals but the guiding principles can be used for obtaining greatest advantage from any competitive situation. Don't expect your trading to radically change overnight, but your life might.

What art exactly is the the Art of War? - 'winning without fighting'.

Everybody with any ambition to improve their lot should read the Art of War. If its guidance resonates in any way, get the I Ching and use it, don't read it, its not a text that can be read from page 1 to the end. Don't get fixated on the mechanics of yarrow stalks and coins, frame your problem in your mind and let the book fall open. Read that part of the book and turn the problem round in the way the text suggests.

Again, trading won't radically improve, but you just might decide to tell your boss / wife / partner / husband where to stick it.
The Art of War is a fantastic work. Like many classics it is taken literally, but it contains many hidden lessons about how to handle different situations dependent upon conditions of uncertainty and in this respect , if you are ready for this kind of "trigger" to help you develop your awareness and have realisations it is a fantastic work.

I love the story about the Emperor, Tsun Tzu and the Concubines. I think this particular extract from the book validates its merit as a stimulator of the way we should view trading,
which is a war for profits through the ages. How we must learn the consequences of indiscipline and how we must learn to accept structure.