Starting to SB

TAWT Team

Hey guys,

I have been learning how to trade for a while now and I think Im ready to give spread betting a shot, I have spent the last couple of weeks on this great forum trying to soak in as much info as I can....

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with;

I have noticed SB co's referred to as CMC, IG and others - just wondering what these terms mean?

Nobody seems to recommend www.tradindex.com on here, is there a reason for this? I paper traded with them for a while and they seem very helpful....

A lot of recommendations have been made for Finspreads but I've also read many negative posts...knock backs and long website delays being common place!

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

TAWTTeam

TAWT Team said:
Hey guys,

I have been learning how to trade for a while now and I think Im ready to give spread betting a shot, I have spent the last couple of weeks on this great forum trying to soak in as much info as I can....

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with;

I have noticed SB co's referred to as CMC, IG and others - just wondering what these terms mean?

Nobody seems to recommend www.tradindex.com on here, is there a reason for this? I paper traded with them for a while and they seem very helpful....

A lot of recommendations have been made for Finspreads but I've also read many negative posts...knock backs and long website delays being common place!

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

TAWTTeam

A warm welcome to you TAWTTeam!

CMC and IG are SB firms, just like your Tradindex which I've had no experience with and can't comment. But CMC is said the have the tighest spread. If you think about it, spreads can cost you thousands if not more a year and the more you can save on it, the better.

I am only recommending Fins for thei 1p per bet during the first 8 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Hung

If you want to trade FOREX, CMC are your best bet because they are open 24 hours a day from Sunday night to Friday 8pm. This is important because you can leave a position open with a stop loss and not worry about gaps. They always respect your stops.

The problem with Tradindex is that you don't know what price you are getting filled at when you place a bet in a volatile market.

I have never had delays with Finspreads and have also never had a requote. They also let you trade at 1p a tick when you start so you can get a feel for the market with real money. They are also about to go 24 hours which is a bonus.

IG have a very good charting facility and access to an AFX news feed which is informative .

Etrade are also worth taking a look at. They are the only SB company I have found which will give you real time charting on most markets e.g. Crude. DJI etc

You should really open a few and take advantage of the different spreads on the particular market you want to trade. Take the USD/JPY for example. The spread is only 3 for a daily in Finspreads against a terrible 8 in Tradindex! However, if you want to trade the March contract, Tradindex will still give you 8 against Finspreads 10.