Want new SB company

JonnyT said:
Firefox 1.04 works, Firefox 1.06+ doesn't

I fixed the applets bit by linking the Java plugin to the firefox plugins directory.
Java integration works a treat,

Capital spreads use Flash so it might be something to do with Flash / Firefox.

I would have set up an account with them if they supported Firefox.

There loss I suppose.

JonnyT

Johny I'm on Linux (Suse) now, Firefox 1.06 and CS is working fine. As you say download the Flash plugin and you should be up and running, no probems with this setup and CS

Thanks for info on Java, I'm not at all used to Linux though I am a techie and couldnt figure it out (ex techie :~) but will try again if you have got it sussed.

Kevin.

Um. I'm on Firefox 1.06 with the Flash plugin installed and CS doesn't work. The panel flashes Colours but no prices are displayed. I'm running under Ubuntu.

Running Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25

Can you put in about:plugins on Firefox and see what version you are running?

Thanks

JonnyT

JonnyT said:
Firefox 1.04 works, Firefox 1.06+ doesn't

I fixed the applets bit by linking the Java plugin to the firefox plugins directory.
Java integration works a treat,

Capital spreads use Flash so it might be something to do with Flash / Firefox.

I would have set up an account with them if they supported Firefox.

There loss I suppose.

JonnyT

Hi JonnyT,
I'm also running Linux+Firefox now too. Do you happen to know of any decent charting software akin to Sierra Charts for example, which will run under this OS?
I think CS needs the Macromedia plog-in to work properly, I'm also using the ubuntu distro and have no probs with CS simulator.
Best Regards,
Neil

Unfortunately not.

I trade FX and the realtime charts free charts are fine. Alternatively I use the Charts that come with IB but they knock processor usage upto 34% consistently.

I'm considering writing my own charting package in Java, but this would be a long term project!

JonnyT

Neil what version of flash are you running. I'm also on Ububtu 5.04 and trying out 5.1 on another PC.

Also going to try Gentoo

JonnyT

I have been with finspreads for over four years now, and while there were several problems in the early days the service has dramatically improved over the years while the spreads have tightened. 3pips for most forex but is not 24hr. Still not 100% perfect, there is still the occasional hiccup - but few enough that I can live with.

I have recently started trading forex, and it was helpful to be able to go back to 10/20p bets to try out a few strategies.

just my humble opinion! - sure there are plenty who disagree!

purplekiwi

Last edited:
IG is a disgrace IMHO... horrible spreads... and your stops are triggered way below the set limits... I'm just waiting to close all my positions and take my account elsewhere...
I'll miss the ability to open multiple / contra positions on same market(which are individually closable!)
since I haven't found the same flexibility in either CS or Fins... etc...

I saw the spreads and remember being stopped short before... They (IG) were a long shot and only really looking good for PDA trading...

For me, the advantage Fins has over CS is the fact you can place stops and limits at the market price so you can work on market prices better. I can access CS through the firewall at work, so that is a benefit of CS over Fins, that way I can use market prices, as I can watch the market most of the time at work and can then get out at the right time then. Also tighter spreads on CS. I tend to alternate between the two to be honest, so can't be that much in it really.
Tried the D4F platform on trial, but you only get two weeks on the trial. As I was not able to master the way in which you manage the stops, from memory you must cancel them when you clear out the trade but I got in a terrible muddle. As such, I decided to give them a miss. Don't want to be dithering when live, it'll kill you.
All the best
Chris

purplekiwi said:
I have been with finspreads for over four years now, and while there were several problems in the early days the service has dramatically improved over the years while the spreads have tightened. 3pips for most forex but is not 24hr. Still not 100% perfect, there is still the occasional hiccup - but few enough that I can live with.

I have recently started trading forex, and it was helpful to be able to go back to 10/20p bets to try out a few strategies.

just my humble opinion! - sure there are plenty who disagree!

purplekiwi

Did notice you were pink earlier! :LOL:

JonnyT said:
Unfortunately not.

I trade FX and the realtime charts free charts are fine. Alternatively I use the Charts that come with IB but they knock processor usage upto 34% consistently.

I'm considering writing my own charting package in Java, but this would be a long term project!

JonnyT

Why not use Amibroker incl. its IB plug-in? Its reported to run under Linux. Details can be viewed in the yahoo user group.

Regards

Hittfeld

According to the website it is Windows only.

Maybe it can run under Wine in Linux, which is not really a road I want to go down.

JonnyT