Starting to get 'Please Wait for a Quote' after making 150% return

how do you know they are manipulating anything? they are manually eyeballing his trades, not manipulating them.

this is a perfect example of everybody assuming that 1 persons account of a situation is enough to tarnish a well respected company that has been around for 30 years.

I'm not defending the industry, and even if I was it would be to no avail as so many of you here clearly only have ears for one side of the story, but crikey I am telling you very frankly and matter of factly how it happens from the s/b side and how they protect themselves and you should take that onboard when drawing your conclusions.

city index will handle tens of thousands of deals each day with thousands of clients, could they really have such a bad model that all of those clients who trust them as their platform provider have made the wrong decision?

On Day 1 when you opened your account with them everything was rosy, your deals went straight through no problem, but now they've had a chance to see how you trade they profile you as someone potentially toxic. City Index et al do not want to make things difficult for you but if you make things difficult for them they will bite back.

I would love to know the name of the firm that has never put a client on dealer referral or has noticed a bad price but continued to let clients milk it or never suffers from a slow down in order execution over key data that's moved the market... let me know who it is please and I'll open an account there.. trouble is that firm doesn't exist.
OK, I know by own experience that Cityindex isn't altogether that bad, even though that they have in the past played some games against me. But "manually eyeballing his trades" and restricting execution is nothing less than manipulation. I have no reason to doubt Liquid-Ocelot story, if so, they are so concern about their goodwill, Cityindex can for once themselves show up with a representative on this forum, in order to set the record straight.

I have been around some and have traded with most of the companies. I know the limitation of SB, I have no illusions in this regard whatsoever. For the most part they are OK if one takes the risk and limitations in consideration. But outright manipulation of individual accounts is not something I can go along with.

Last edited:
So is the OP's style of trading upsetting the broker?
What are we talking? Large size bets exploiting a slow feed or something?

So is the OP's style of trading upsetting the broker?
What are we talking? Large size bets exploiting a slow feed or something?
Yes, I think there might be a combination of both as seen from the brokers point of view. Not necessary taking advantage of a slow price feed, but trading with the price action and exiting fast might put them off.

It appears that the OP was making money - apparently this is not the done thing in the world of retail bucket-shops :LOL:

lol - touché

30% of clients at any one time are in the money. the client making money isn't the problem. The problem is how some of those clients are making the money.

It appears that the OP was making money - apparently this is not the done thing in the world of retail bucket-shops :LOL:
Yes it is possible no doubt about it, DMA has its limitations as well if one put them both against each other. But with a bigger stake size I would definitely go for DMA.

Jesus, you write some sh*t. Proper execution may not exist in the world of retail bucket-shops, but it certainly exists in the real world. Try opening an institutional-quality account and you'll see what I mean...

I may write some things you disagree with but I am certain it is not 'proper sh*t'

that's very rude. You haven't offered any thing to the conversation except an insult. My motive is to help not to offend. If you think I am that far off the mark I will leave you in peace and let you get on with the conspiracy theories that mean no one ever has to take responsibility for themselves.

"30% of clients at any one time are in the money" however, interestingly, 30% of SB clients are not consistently profitable (yes, I've had the info from people on the inside).

Why should the way a client trades be a problem? Open a CME futures account - you won't have trade restrictions, dealer referral, execution deliberately slowed down etc etc... funny that eh?

why should the way a client trades be a problem?

seriously, you're asking that question?

do you also think a client can act in any manner they like on a dealing platform and trade in a size of their choosing in to any market regardless of the underlying liquidity and expect instant execution?

if you think the CME lets every client trade without restrictions you're on something.

lol.. its madness the way you justify this to yourself.

"30% of clients at any one time are in the money" however, interestingly, 30% of SB clients are not consistently profitable (yes, I've had the info from people on the inside).

Why should the way a client trades be a problem? Open a CME futures account - you won't have trade restrictions, dealer referral, execution deliberately slowed down etc etc... funny that eh?
Probably due to fixed spread, bad infrastructure with price feed, no time to hedge.

why should the way a client trades be a problem?

seriously, you're asking that question?

do you also think a client can act in any manner they like on a dealing platform and trade in a size of their choosing in to any market regardless of the underlying liquidity and expect instant execution?

if you think the CME lets every client trade without restrictions you're on something.

lol.. its madness the way you justify this to yourself.
This apply to small stakes as well trading with some market makers.

Yes I agree, I often am rude. However I disagree with your motive - rather than helping aspiring traders, it appears to be to promote a certain part of the retail broker industry. You can make asinine comments about conspiracy theories (it diverts the topic nicely) but there is ample evidence of problems. Interestingly they are never properly addressed. Funny that...

i'll address what you want. ask away and i'll do my best.

more assumptions about my motive. I don't think you're being unfair judging me this way, it will be up to me to prove my motive is not for any gain. If i'm given a fair hearing I'll be able to offer some different opinion or view, but there will be little point in me hanging around contributing if you've already decided i'm being insincere or trying to groom you for a scam..

there are problems because it is a huge industry that has clients from the very bottom of society to billionaires running tax free portfolios and it struggles to satisfy everyone. Its a mass model that has to please the masses. It cannot be bespoke and please everyone.

This apply to small stakes as well trading with some market makers.

they may seem like small stakes but in some illiquid markets they may actually not be. not every underlying market has an endless stream of liquidity. some have close to none, some have just a side, some are RFQ. you need to understand what your spreadbet stake converts to in notional and then see what the depth of liquidity is in the underlying to judge what is 'small' and what is actually market size.

Could be, if I understood your answer correctly.:)

I meant if City index cant behave and act like a decent market maker then they should quit the business . If they cant offer 1 point spread on Dow and Dax then they shouldn't do in the first place , if they cant handle 25 pound/point then they shouldn't accept such bets .
Anyway these SB companies lack the proper knowledge of trading , they think if someone is making some hot money for a short period then he/she is super and have some secret edge and may be taking advantage of the company , when in reality they should instead let him proceed with his trading style and the markets will take care of the rest !

i'll address what you want. ask away and i'll do my best.

more assumptions about my motive. I don't think you're being unfair judging me this way, it will be up to me to prove my motive is not for any gain. If i'm given a fair hearing I'll be able to offer some different opinion or view, but there will be little point in me hanging around contributing if you've already decided i'm being insincere or trying to groom you for a scam..

there are problems because it is a huge industry that has clients from the very bottom of society to billionaires running tax free portfolios and it struggles to satisfy everyone. Its a mass model that has to please the masses. It cannot be bespoke and please everyone.
I think the industry is about to undergo a change, fixed spread will be a thing of the past as well as dealer referral. Better platform infrastructure resulting in faster price feed and execution.

I meant if City index cant behave and act like a decent market maker then they should quit the business . If they cant offer 1 point spread on Dow and Dax then they shouldn't do in the first place , if they cant handle 25 pound/point then they shouldn't accept such bets .
Anyway these SB companies lack the proper knowledge of trading , they think if someone is making some hot money for a short period then he/she is super and have some secret edge and may be taking advantage of the company , when in reality they should instead let him proceed with his trading style and the markets will take care of the rest !
Yes I agree, thereof my post above.

I think the industry is about to undergo a change, fixed spread will be a thing of the past as well as dealer referral. Better platform infrastructure resulting in faster price feed and execution.

and tax :mad: