Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

Hello, Again, All,

Just beginning to read Weinstein, and was wondering, does he touch on issues like portfolio construction, asset allocation, and cash management?

Thanks!

Tom

Hello, Again, All,

Just beginning to read Weinstein, and was wondering, does he touch on issues like portfolio construction, asset allocation, and cash management?

Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom, the book doesn't focus on that part of trading, as it is mostly about learning the Stage Analysis method and its key components, such as Volume, Relative Performance versus the Market, Sector and Peers, Support and Resistance and how to apply the Weight of Evidence approach using the various Market Breadth indicators.

I'd recommend starting by reading the book fully, then read through this thread in it'd entirety as we had a lot of discussion about various aspects of the method , and there's some additional little gems like more modern interviews with Stan, and samples of the Global Trend Alert etc.

Once you've been through the thread, if you are still interested in the method, then please visit https://stageanalysis.net as this thread became too big on here, and so needed a whole website to continue it. You'll find every answer that you have on the method there.

Dumb question,

I'm looking through your charts, and I notice the you have a 4th indicator--the "Force Indicator." I haven't seen any discussion of it in Weinstein's book (possible that I missed it). I didn't see it in your buy checklist either (again, totally possible that I missed it). How are you using that in analyzing the stages?

Thanks!

Tom

One of the key components of the method is Volume, so when I was first learning the method I found it useful to use Alexander Elders Force Index indicator to help to interpret the volume. You can find an explanation of what it is on stockcharts site here: https://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators:force_index but I made a custom version of it that made a cumulative line instead of the standard indicator. Here's a link to how to do that: https://stageanalysis.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=24

It's not required for the method, but I did find it useful initially when learning the Stages.

Last edited:
One of the key components of the method is Volume, so when I was first learning the method I found it useful to use Alexander Elders Force Index indicator to help to interpret the volume. You can find an explanation of what it is on stockcharts site here: https://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators:force_index but I made a custom version of it that made a cumulative line instead of the standard indicator. Here's a link to how to do that: https://stageanalysis.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=24

It's not required for the method, but I did find it useful initially when learning the Stages.
A very interesting thread!

KL Kirklands Gold on the NICE weekly chart setup.

After the election result on Friday morning it's not surprising that there was a huge amount of strong volume moves in the UK market on Friday. Of particular note was the amount property developers stocks making new highs. So, it might finally be time to start looking at the UK market again with stocks finally starting to outperform the US market again after two years of under performance.

Here's some on my UK watchlist from the weekend scans :

AIR.L, AJB.L, AMER.L, BARC.L, BDEV.L, BKG.L, BLND.L, BREE.L, BRW.L, BVS.L, BWY.L, CDM.L, COB.L, CPI.L, CRST.L, FORT.L, FOXT.L, GFRD.L, GLE.L, GOOD.L, GYM.L, HEAD.L, HYVE.L, IHP.L, INL.L, KLR.L, MARS.L, MGP.L, NG.L, NUM.L, OTB.L, QLT.L, QQ.L, RBS.L, RCH.L, SPI.L, SUMO.L, SVT.L, UU.L, WIN.L

Go to UK Stocks Watchlist - 15th December 2019 - Part 1 to view the charts

I've been doing the UK watchlist again on the stageanalysis.net forum over the last month, and it is updated daily. But I thought I'd post here too.

Here's additions to my UK watchlist from Tuesdays scans - ACRL.L, BOOM.L, ECSC.L, GOOD.L, GVC.L, HRN.L, HVPE.L, MAFL.L, NASA.L, ORR.L, PHE.L, PMO.L, SHG.L

ACRL.L_W_7-1-20.pngBOOM.L_W_7-1-20.pngECSC.L_W_7-1-20.pngGOOD.L_W_7-1-20.pngGVC.L_W_7-1-20.pngHRN.L_W_7-1-20.pngHVPE.L_W_7-1-20.pngMAFL.L_W_7-1-20.pngNASA.L_W_7-1-20.pngORR.L_W_7-1-20.pngPHE.L_W_7-1-20.pngPMO.L_W_7-1-20.pngSHG.L_W_7-1-20.png

I've also started a new youtube channel this week for Stage Analysis where I'll be posting my daily US and Canadian watchlist stocks and potentially some market breadth on the weekends once I've found my feet with it. Here's the video from yesterdays US watchlist.

For the watchlist from Mondays scans - CAE, CIBR, COUP, DDOG, DT, EHTH, FEYE, HACK, INSG, INSP, JELD, JOUT, MIME, NVST, PLUG, SWCH, TEAM, TRGP, TTD, VNET, VRNS

The charts can be found at: US and Canadian Stocks Watchlist - 6th January 2020

Please subscribe to the youtube channel if you like it

Cheers
isatrader

Last edited:
For the watchlist from Wednesdays scans of the US and Canadian markets - AYI, BEST, COLL, FATE, FIVN, FNGU, ISR, KSU, LAZ, LSCC, RUBI, SNPS

The charts can be found at: US and Canadian Stocks Watchlist - 8th January 2020

And below is my latest video, which talks through the above charts and some others as well that already appeared on the watchlist recently and have been making interesting moves.

For the watchlist from Thursdays scans - ALSK, AXNX, DOOR, DXCM, EGY, FARO, HIMX, MDB, MDLA, SAIL, SNAP, WELL.V

The charts can be found at: US and Canadian Stocks Watchlist - 9th January 2020

And below is tonights video, which talks through the charts and some others as well that already appeared on the watchlist and have been making Stage 2 continuation breakout attempts today

US Market Breadth Update Video - a look beneath the surface of the US stock market, using the key market breadth charts, such as the NYSE Bullish Percent Index, the Advance Decline Line, the New Highs - New Lows etc and some custom breadth indicators of my own in order to determine what the Weight of Evidence is suggesting in terms of the US stock market direction.

For the US watchlist from the weekend scans - ARMK, AXTA, BAH, BRKR, CAMT, CGNX, CTXS, EXPO, FLIR, FRTA, GE, GLDD, HLNE, LLNW, LSCC, NOVT, ODFL, OMAB, OSB, PAVM, PRPL, PWFL, RMBS, ROK, ROP, SANM, SEAS, SFL, SONO, SPB, SREV, TOL, WLH, XRAY, ZNGA, ZYXI

For the Canadian watchlist from the weekend scans - AGF/B.TO, AIF.TO, ATE.V, CAE.TO, JAG.TO, MIN.TO, OLA.TO, RMX.TO

For the UK watchlist from the weekend scans:

ANCR.L, BAB.L, BDEV.L, BLTG.L, CYN.L, DTG.L, GETB.L, GHE.L, HRN.L, IDOX.L, JLP.L, LSE.L, MMX.L, PHC.L, PHE.L, PNN.L, SEE.L, SLP.L, TW..L, TXP.L, UEX.L, VEL.L, WGB.L

For the US Breakout Stocks Watchlist from Tuesdays scans - AKTS, ALTR, BEST, CAMT, CGC, CRON, DDD, EDIT, FRTA, MYOK, PATK, PGNY, PRGO, TOL

Note: A few cannabis stocks making their way back in the stock breakout scans today with CGC and CRON. Both are very early Stage 2A attempts from minor bases and break a fundamental rule of Stage Analysis as they are both still below a still declining 30 week MA. But thought I'd flag them up in the watchlist non the less, as the sector may be bottoming.

The charts can be found at: Stocks Watchlist - 14th January 2020