Socco's food for thought..... revisited.

It's only for three days, rols. In the meantime, those who would voice their opinions of Albert run the risk of earning a few points themselves, which is, I suppose, why jacinto elected to close the thread in the first place.

There are far more interesting things going on.

Db

I've still got him on ignore, so am unlikely to get points.:)

Split

It's only for three days, rols. In the meantime, those who would voice their opinions of Albert run the risk of earning a few points themselves, which is, I suppose, why jacinto elected to close the thread in the first place.

Db

bingo DB, well understood.

j

Db

In the same way that the solution to crime on our streets is to remove the offending victims.

I'm sick of bl**dy hearing about socrates. I've yet to read one good post of his where he is adding something useful that is trading related, such as posting a free strategy etc. Maybe he has, maybe i've missed it, but seriously, if there's nothing better to do than start endless threads discussing a "sketchy" T2W member then...........:confused: :( :rolleyes: :eek:

Are you implying that the moderators are, in fact, fascists ? :)

Paul

Not atall. I suggested that heavy handed censorship may be interpreted as having fascist undertones....

Fascism is an authoritarian political ideology (generally tied to a mass movement) that considers individual and other societal interests subordinate to the needs of the Nation...

Let's don't get too serious about this. Just 'aving a laff.

:cool:

I'm sick of bl**dy hearing about socrates. I've yet to read one good post of his where he is adding something useful that is trading related, such as posting a free strategy etc. Maybe he has, maybe i've missed it, but seriously, if there's nothing better to do than start endless threads discussing a "sketchy" T2W member then...........:confused: :( :rolleyes: :eek:

There's a simple answer you know....

I'm sick of bl**dy hearing about socrates. I've yet to read one good post of his where he is adding something useful that is trading related, such as posting a free strategy etc.

well.........he did post something useful...................and the lesson was

DONT WRITE NAKED OPTIONS :LOL:

edit: sorry, just couldnt resist. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And cryptic, dubious, QED type replies like this don't help IMO :( .

I think Rols probably meant that If you dont like what Socrates has to say, you can always put him on ignore. Socrates contribution really covers a whole spectrum, from one or two amazingly profound posts, to well stuff bordering on the completely ridiculous, but enjoyable non the less. You cant deny he adds a bit of life to the place, and although Ive had the occassional run in with him, he's always remained polite, and at times genuinely helpful.

Its perhaps a bit unfair to critisise him on the grounds of not contributing systems or methodologies, the place is littered with them, and theyre not really that important.

As DB points out, its only a 3 day ban, and then he'll be back. The thing I find so amusing is the reason given for his ban. Although blatent advertising, I suspect most would have ignored the post, yet banning him has probably resulted in a massive increase in traffic and signups over at the other place, as people flock in the hope of reading his reaction to events. The score in this particular round is definately 1 : 0 to Mr Socco. :LOL:

The thing I find so amusing is the reason given for his ban. Although blatent advertising, I suspect most would have ignored the post, yet banning him has probably resulted in a massive increase in traffic and signups over at the other place, as people flock in the hope of reading his reaction to events. The score in this particular round is definately 1 : 0 to Mr Socco. :LOL:

The reason may be amusing, but at least Albert is now, apparently, being expected to follow the same rules as everybody else.

As for the "massive increase", I doubt anybody cares enough.

As for the score, yes, the advantage is Albert's since he accomplished his objective of attracting attention to himself yet again.

The last thing an aspiring trader needs is to be freely provided with yet another canned system, unless he views trading as a frivolous diversion, a sort of dilettante's buffet with bowls of Buffy and plates of TomCat pastry crossovers for nibbling over small talk. However it is unfortunately what a lot of people want and in this respect at least Socco, quite rightly imho, does not serve them well.

Last edited:
The last thing an aspiring trader needs is to be freely provided with yet another canned system, unless he views trading as a frivolous diversion, a sort of dilettante's buffet with bowls of Buffy and plates of TomCat pastry crossovers for nibbling over small talk. However it is unfortunately what a lot of people want and Socco, quite rightly imho, does not serve them well.

In order to provide anyone with a system, canned or otherwise, one must first have one :)

What follows is either the pre-linguistic silence of mystic experience or it is the post-linguistic silence of fascist cacophony. However, if it's another post and if it isn't one of mine, that means their hegemonic discourse is deeply flawed and requires no further discussion..

Another Kant!

I have to slightly disagree with the views of frugi and Gamma regarding systems posted on trading forums. I would say they are a valuable resource for the newb, helping them with a framework of ideas to carry out studies of observation, from which a system of their own may evolve, therefore setting them on a path that must indeed be at least a good start...of course, blindly following any old system that's posted, without so much as a glance at what its going to do for them is surely asking for a financial kicking.

Lightning

And this is my problem with doing this - that they are indeed useful if you are mature and insightful enough to take them for what they are, rather than a free get rich quick scheme with unlimited profit for no effort or outlay.

But does this describe the najority of newbies on this or other boards - of course not.

Fair point you make, but for pragmatic reasons I still disagree.

GJ

I agree.

There is a lot more to it then just posting a good strategy.

For example here is a perfectly workable strategy explained in great detail.

There is even a manual and all the indicators posted for free. Last I heard of the author was that he was having keemo. Hopefully he is on the way to a full recovery.

http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=5174&referrerid=15000

How many would actually take the time to learn it properly and then make it their own?

Then have the confidence to pull the trigger and adhere to the rules?

Therein lies the rub.....

The learning process

And this is my problem with doing this - that they are indeed useful if you are mature and insightful enough to take them for what they are, rather than a free get rich quick scheme with unlimited profit for no effort or outlay.

But does this describe the najority of newbies on this or other boards - of course not.

Fair point you make, but for pragmatic reasons I still disagree.

GJ
GJ

I would agree with you and, to be fair to Socrates, I think this is a line he always took. Some here have complained that he never revealed a system or that he had no system, but his take on things was always to try to elevate discussion above the mechanical. To many he went too far in the direction of the metaphysical and many disagreed with his stance that traders are born not made. However he did point out that learning trading took effort, skill and practice.

I also agree with Lightning McQueen that a beginner, just like driving a car, needs to learn a lot of mechanical basic stuff. However when they learn to drive a car they are fully mentored by the driving instructor/full licenced driver who must accompany them at all times during the learning process. Later when they leave the required level of expertise to pass the test the learning process can continue on their own and touch the finer points and more intuitive aspects of driving. Trading has similarities. Once the mechanical stuff is learnt and enough time has been spent studying charts and practising at the broker's screen the more intuitive side of trading can develop. The problem is, that in most cases, the learner does not have a mentor during the mechanical learning phase to prevent bad habits and to guide learning and attitudes in the right direction.

Charlton