Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

And today's prize for a stupid reply goes to......
*drumroll*
sh5467!
Well done sir, send me your bank details and I'll deposit your prize by return

And today's prize for a stupid reply goes to......
*drumroll*
sh5467!
Well done sir, send me your bank details and I'll deposit your prize by return

but is it really stupid? why spend time focusing on slippage.

Hi Sh,

why spend time focusing on slippage.

My point exactly. Hence my overly esoteric reference to this thread going round and round in ever decreasing circles ad infinitum.

What I actually "proved", in an extremely scientific experiment, is that you can get rather less slippage spreadbetting with SLM/GKFX than you do with the sort of "ECN" broker beloved by so many denizens of these hallowed halls.

Cheers,

Jim

but is it really stupid? why spend time focusing on slippage.

Because at £10/pip Jim would have lost between £3 & £90 as a result of slippage
Would that be unimportant to you?
Smart Live slipped me over 50 pips on Dax the other day, gave me an immediate full refund when I requested it.

I've been slipped far less by IG in the past who have fought tooth & nail not to refund even barely significant amounts (I will always request a refund on principle if I think that the broker is to blame)

So I disagree with you - it is an important issue; it's well worth while identifying brokers who minimise slip and acknowledge and make good unreasonable losses caused by themselves.

As your comment suggests, many traders accept slippage as a part of the game - but a lot of it is broker policy - so to roll over and accept it just allows brokers to steal your money (and a few have ended up in court for doing just that)

The only way to overcome it is to not use the crooks who use slippage as an income source and to trade with brokers who allow you to trade with the markets and not against the broker.

Because at £10/pip Jim would have lost between £3 & £90 as a result of slippage
Would that be unimportant to you?
Smart Live slipped me over 50 pips on Dax the other day, gave me an immediate full refund when I requested it.

I've been slipped far less by IG in the past who have fought tooth & nail not to refund even barely significant amounts (I will always request a refund on principle if I think that the broker is to blame)

So I disagree with you - it is an important issue; it's well worth while identifying brokers who minimise slip and acknowledge and make good unreasonable losses caused by themselves.

As your comment suggests, many traders accept slippage as a part of the game - but a lot of it is broker policy - so to roll over and accept it just allows brokers to steal your money (and a few have ended up in court for doing just that)

The only way to overcome it is to not use the crooks who use slippage as an income source and to trade with brokers who allow you to trade with the markets and not against the broker.

now you are talking some sense. but seriously making trades during news time with a bucketshop is always going to hurt.

now you are talking some sense. but seriously making trades during news time with a bucketshop is always going to hurt.

I wasn't trading during news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is their response.........

"Thank you for your email.

You are quite correct in your comment that this happened before the SNB intervention.
However my colleague was quite right in pointing out that this was at a time of increased volatility in the market.

The fact that you were filled at 0.79714 was in fact a result as this could easily have been 10 points higher.
Our stops are not guaranteed, and while we will always endeavour to fill someone at their requested stop level this is not always possible if the market is jumping around, as it was at that time.
I know it is only a small sum we are talking about but I have to show you the same courtesy and fairness as we would to someone with a position 100 times bigger.

The fill you were given is both correct and fair.

Regards

Paul Hare
Compliance Officer"

When is the market not volatile?

Saturday?

Slipped 20 pips and its a result!

well f me.

Next time I go into Ladbrokes to be told "Sorry the game was moving at a frenetic pace, the bet you had on Rooney scoring was missed."

Jim et al.
Its clear you have your opinion and have accepted slippage in spreadbetting is acceptable.

Slippage is important. It is to me and it should be to you. It is thieving. It is not part of spreadbetting and never should be. I think your acceptance of slippage argument should really be around news and opening gaps with regards to slippage for noobs - that is a seperate discussion and you would be correct in your common place acceptance.

Out of interest was anyone short on USDCHF at 9am London using SLM yesterday? Has anyone been slipped 500pips?

Jim - I do not know what you are trying to show trading on news via 0.5 pips that you made money? its just nonsense. I AM TALKING ABOUT NORMAL MARKET CONDITIONS - IT IS VOLATILE full stop. Its a market and will do what it wants. It is not an excuse.

I ended up +1930 pips on USDCHF by 22:00 London time yesterday, yet I am still arguing the toss for my 20 pips.

60 pips in a minute is volatile.

You are waiting for a volatile directional move and executing in the direction of the move. You're going to get slipped.

The Ladbrokes metaphor would work better if Rooney shoots at an open goal and you palce your "in match" bet at that time, with everyone else.

I'm glad the trade worked out for you as it would at other brokers, with less slip. Will you be moving accounts? If not, why not?

Thanks for SLMs reply.

What I was expecting was more like

"Thank you for your enquiry, Busted!! LOL we always slip customers for a few more pips, easy money init. God help us if we ever have a disgruntled member of staff who'd blow the whistle to the FSA or the forums. Cunningly we keep compromising photos of all current and former staff to avoid this occurance.
Keep it under your hat please, love SLM"

Last edited:
I wasn't trading during news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is their response.........

"Thank you for your email.

You are quite correct in your comment that this happened before the SNB intervention.
However my colleague was quite right in pointing out that this was at a time of increased volatility in the market.

The fact that you were filled at 0.79714 was in fact a result as this could easily have been 10 points higher.
Our stops are not guaranteed, and while we will always endeavour to fill someone at their requested stop level this is not always possible if the market is jumping around, as it was at that time.
I know it is only a small sum we are talking about but I have to show you the same courtesy and fairness as we would to someone with a position 100 times bigger.

The fill you were given is both correct and fair.

Regards

Paul Hare
Compliance Officer"

When is the market not volatile?

Saturday?

Slipped 20 pips and its a result!

well f me.

Next time I go into Ladbrokes to be told "Sorry the game was moving at a frenetic pace, the bet you had on Rooney scoring was missed."

Jim et al.
Its clear you have your opinion and have accepted slippage in spreadbetting is acceptable.

Slippage is important. It is to me and it should be to you. It is thieving. It is not part of spreadbetting and never should be. I think your acceptance of slippage argument should really be around news and opening gaps with regards to slippage for noobs - that is a seperate discussion and you would be correct in your common place acceptance.

Out of interest was anyone short on USDCHF at 9am London using SLM yesterday? Has anyone been slipped 500pips?

Jim - I do not know what you are trying to show trading on news via 0.5 pips that you made money? its just nonsense. I AM TALKING ABOUT NORMAL MARKET CONDITIONS - IT IS VOLATILE full stop. Its a market and will do what it wants. It is not an excuse.

I ended up +1930 pips on USDCHF by 22:00 London time yesterday, yet I am still arguing the toss for my 20 pips.
I honestly don't understand why you keep trading with them if you got serious problem with slippage over a long period of time. Slippage one must accept if there is a gap in the market, otherwise not, if one is trading with a market maker. There are quite a few SB's that execute exact on the point. Occasionally I still trade with SLM but not seriously, they are not ready for that yet.

Hi Francis,

Jim et al.

I am experimenting at news time since I don't like to sit in front of my screen all day waiting to hit the "Trade" button when I notice the market moving fast. In my experience news usually increases volatility.

The results of my own experiments show less slippage at SLM than at an "ECN" broker at such volatile times. I assume that's what you mean when you say

Brokers who allow you to trade with the markets

Q.E.D.

At the risk of repeating myself - Sh1t happens. So does slippage. If you know of a broker where it doesn't happen then by all means trade with them. Take the banks to court for being crooks who use slippage as an income source while you're at it!

Jim

I had a buy limit order in for the USD/JPY. at 76.75. Price went to 76.749. That should have triggered right?

EDIT. Damn, I didn't think about the spread.

Attachments

• USDJPY.JPG
    USDJPY.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Hi Guys

I logged back into my old SLM acc this week :LOL:

But when I switch from Live to Demo I get Charts waiting to update ?

Is it just me ? :-0

Hi Guys

I logged back into my old SLM acc this week :LOL:

But when I switch from Live to Demo I get Charts waiting to update ?

Is it just me ? :-0

Think you will find it is because you switched when the market was closed, it should be fine once they open again. If it's a futures market then later tonight. If it's the FTSE then maybe not until 08:00 GMT Monday.

Anyone still getting daily statements from these, not had one since Thursday 15th and no activity is showing in MT4. They are not answering email's and live help is never LIVE....