Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

More requotes this morning for me and a friend. Wasn't even during a fast moving market.

Closing account today. FXCM is looking tempting.

Demo is OK today. Both EAs trading as expected. 12 signals in the log, 12 trades taken. 10 win, 1 loss, 1BE. Its pretty hard to be sure if they are the correct results as i use a trailing stop that activates after x profit but they look ok. The loss got me by .2 of a point before moving off in the right direction. Damn SLM for increasing the EURUSD spread by half a point.

Do SLM definitely use MT4's Virtual Plug-in?

Does anyone using SLM use the Virtual dealer plug-in software detector?

From what i have read the detector programs need to run on a pretty active account for about a month to monitor enough trades. Even then they only 'suggest' that something dodgy is going on.

Demo is OK today. Both EAs trading as expected. 12 signals in the log, 12 trades taken. 10 win, 1 loss, 1BE. Its pretty hard to be sure if they are the correct results as i use a trailing stop that activates after x profit but they look ok. The loss got me by .2 of a point before moving off in the right direction. Damn SLM for increasing the EURUSD spread by half a point.

Yeah, demo is great, but its not real money, is it? :rolleyes:

Yeah, demo is great, but its not real money, is it? :rolleyes:

True. Point i was making though is its not normally SLM live only that has problems. The demo has more than its fair share of requotes and slipped prices. This kind of makes me think SLM are not being ***** and that the problems really are just problems (although SLM dont seem to be in much of a hurry to sort them out). After all what broker would play games on a demo account?

True. Point i was making though is its not normally SLM live only that has problems. The demo has more than its fair share of requotes and slipped prices. This kind of makes me think SLM are not being ***** and that the problems really are just problems (although SLM dont seem to be in much of a hurry to sort them out). After all what broker would play games on a demo account?

Sorry, I understand now.

Personally I think their technology is flawed and whatever "bridge" they are using to connect their spreadbet systems to MT4 is flakey. Probably why no-one else has attempted to provide spreadbet via MT4.

As for fixing problems, I agree. SLM were not bothered at all about losing me as a customer.

Anyway, opened an account with FXCM now. A good intermediate broker until I have the funds to trade futures with TradeStation.

Take a look at the TradeStation website. They have a business continuity plan, backup data centres, etc. Now that is more like the professional outfit I can make money with.

Sorry, I understand now.

Personally I think their technology is flawed and whatever "bridge" they are using to connect their spreadbet systems to MT4 is flakey. Probably why no-one else has attempted to provide spreadbet via MT4.

ODL tried (and failed) to offer SB through MT4. They're now part of FXCM, ironically.

Quite pissed off that I got the Invalid Prices thing and another error if im not wrong but I remember I got the Invalid prices crap 5 TIMES today at 14:00 hours on the EuroUsd...There was no sudden or volatile movement at that point on my chart, I had a short trade that I really needed to take...But couldn't. Missed out my trade which in the end would have netted me 42 pips or so of profit.

I have a chart to prove I had a short signal but not sure if they would honor it as I spoke to them on the phone and mentioned this is unacceptable as ive had this Invalid prices tripe going on my slm's mt4 for over a month to a month and a half now...

i dont have problems with my Internet connection and im on a solid 20mb connection so theres not any bandwidth problems either...

I actually moved to SLM from IG based on a recommendation from a close friend who also moved with me, but im quite disappointed with this as its frankly taking the mick with re-quotes or Invald price errors around 1 out of every 2 trades I execute so Its causing me to get higher prices and causing me to miss trades and potential profit, missing out on my profit causes the rest of my targets and MM to **** up for the week.

Any ideas? I have the latest build of mt4. I dont seem to have firewall/router or antivirus issues as ive checked and double checked that now as Im a network engineer. Ive spoken to Virgin who is my ISP and they dont appear to have any problems on my line either.

Suggesstions? Numerous people are having this and frankly if its not dealt with is going to lead to some bad rep for SLM im sure.

Quite pissed off that I got the Invalid Prices thing and another error if im not wrong but I remember I got the Invalid prices crap 5 TIMES today at 14:00 hours on the EuroUsd...There was no sudden or volatile movement at that point on my chart, I had a short trade that I really needed to take...But couldn't. Missed out my trade which in the end would have netted me 42 pips or so of profit.

I have a chart to prove I had a short signal but not sure if they would honor it as I spoke to them on the phone and mentioned this is unacceptable as ive had this Invalid prices tripe going on my slm's mt4 for over a month to a month and a half now...

i dont have problems with my Internet connection and im on a solid 20mb connection so theres not any bandwidth problems either...

I actually moved to SLM from IG based on a recommendation from a close friend who also moved with me, but im quite disappointed with this as its frankly taking the mick with re-quotes or Invald price errors around 1 out of every 2 trades I execute so Its causing me to get higher prices and causing me to miss trades and potential profit, missing out on my profit causes the rest of my targets and MM to **** up for the week.

Any ideas? I have the latest build of mt4. I dont seem to have firewall/router or antivirus issues as ive checked and double checked that now as Im a network engineer. Ive spoken to Virgin who is my ISP and they dont appear to have any problems on my line either.

Suggesstions? Numerous people are having this and frankly if its not dealt with is going to lead to some bad rep for SLM im sure.

Only one suggestion, which I did today. With your best pointy finger and Alan Sugar expression, tell SLM they are fired :)

its not sounding too good for SLM currently...I used then a few months back and found them fine actually. was planning on depositing more money with them shortly....maybe I should try Alpari or Oanda instead...

Perfect platform to operate from and yet they are shooting themselves in both feet with all the problems that everyone is encountering. Bad news travels fast.

Reluctant to go to FXCM until the outcome of their court case.

I am keeping my original SB until the problems are sorted.
I am looking forward to using its MT4 programming side.

Ive made a few changes on my system and my Platform to make sure I dont have ANY slow execution from my side when placing an order that could increase what we call Latency...

Ensured that my Firewall does not monitor ANY TCP or UDP packets from my Mt4 terminal or that there is no interferance from my AntiVirus with any additional checking or packet filtering on port 443 from both the firewall and the antivirus...All that is fine and okay...

With regards to what I was told by SLM when I called them when my trade wouldn't go through, they mentioned its likely its the ISP somehow throttling back my connection. Highly doubt thats the case as Ive spoken to them and double checked, my settings are optimum, also done some SpeedTests and im getting 18.5 to 19.5mb on my 20mb Virgin line so im confident that my Re-quotes and constant Invalid Price errors are not to do with my ISP...

This is the plan from the market opening on sunday...Some extensive Latency and Ping testing so I can really nail down wether the re-quotes and Invalid Price errors can be fixed by anything on my end or wether SLM's servers are slow in responding back to our MT4 Terminals to give us Fast trade execution times....

So from sunday opening Im going to use various things, from Netstat to other Traceroute software and use packet sniffers or other Latency checkers if need be to see how many milliseconds its taking to Ping SLM's server once im connected to Mt4, and see how quickly Im able to get a response. Going to see If i can setup some better software through the week to see how many milliseconds its actually taking for me to get a response from their server when im trying to execute a trade.

Ive ensured my platform has optimum settings and nothing else on my pc is draining bandwidth or resources and that my hard drive is defragged and running properly to ensure Im able to send the Data from my end to SLM's server as quickly as possible to lower the Latency as much as I can. This way I know wether this is a problem with my ISP, or wether this is a problem with SLM.

So far pingtest's are showing that my Internet Connection is running fast and at optimum settings. I'll report more back on this later. Maybe in the meantime the IT guys at SLM could ensure that their servers are truly running at the best settings possible to ensure they are able to send our orders back to our MT4 terminals as fast as possible. This way, we dont get stale quotes and invald prices and you may make alot more of your customers happy and in return attract more business.

Just out of curiosity is anybody else interested in doing some ping/traceroute and Latency tests along with me to post up the results publicly so we know for ourselves wether its a problem from our end, and if its just a small "handful" of slm's clients as Ive been told...Or wether this is truly from their side and their IT guys really need to get themselves in order and try improve their datafeed or any server issues on their side before they start losing alot of clients.

When a few people from here leave....Just like I joined SLM by a Friends referral, in the same way when a customer leaves...Chances are if a company ignores them, its a stupid thing to do and turn a blind eye to it because those leaving customers are going to take their Friends and Clients along with them, nad before you know it, its going to start hitting a company right where it hurts.

SimonK: Im sorry to hear you've had problems with the re-quotes and stuff too, its not something we need to have to be honest. My orders placed with IG index would be placed without a fuss compared to the Invalid prices tripe ive had the past few weeks.

So if anybody else wants to do some testing and really find out whats going on here, why dont we get some tech minded guys together and start to find out for ourselves who's side this problem is really from? If a company really has any integrity, in the end they will admit they had faults from their side and get on with fixing it. Everyone would have more respect for them in the end.

Just out of curiosity is anybody else interested in doing some ping/traceroute and Latency tests along with me to post up the results publicly so we know for ourselves wether its a problem from our end, and if its just a small "handful" of slm's clients as Ive been told...Or wether this is truly from their side and their IT guys really need to get themselves in order and try improve their datafeed or any server issues on their side before they start losing alot of clients.

When a few people from here leave....Just like I joined SLM by a Friends referral, in the same way when a customer leaves...Chances are if a company ignores them, its a stupid thing to do and turn a blind eye to it because those leaving customers are going to take their Friends and Clients along with them, nad before you know it, its going to start hitting a company right where it hurts.

SimonK: Im sorry to hear you've had problems with the re-quotes and stuff too, its not something we need to have to be honest. My orders placed with IG index would be placed without a fuss compared to the Invalid prices tripe ive had the past few weeks.

So if anybody else wants to do some testing and really find out whats going on here, why dont we get some tech minded guys together and start to find out for ourselves who's side this problem is really from? If a company really has any integrity, in the end they will admit they had faults from their side and get on with fixing it. Everyone would have more respect for them in the end.

Yes, I'm willing to contribute. I have already been doing some monitoring on a problem which started in early May regarding a 1 minute delay at 6.30am several mornings a week. Which affected the Forex Morning Trade EA I am using. Quite a few people on that FMT thread had and are still having (me included) the same problem.
I have been doing some ping tests but stopped about 2 weeks ago when the SLM server stopped responding to pings for some reason. However I am checking teh EA each morning and am seeing the same 1 minute delay on most mornings still.
Paul at SLM reckons it is an MT4 issue, and they have been dealing with Metaquotes to try to figure out what is going wrong. However it sounds like you are having a whole bunch of other problems with manual trading as well.
It's been 2 months since the problem I'm having was flagged to SLM, so they should have resolved it by now.
Anyway let me know what ping tests you want and I'll post the results here. Who knows, all these problems may be related.
Rgds
Kevin

Ive made a few changes on my system and my Platform to make sure I dont have ANY slow execution from my side when placing an order that could increase what we call Latency...

Don't lose any more time with all this. When you experience slow execution the fault is almost never on your side. It is instead from broker side. The broker will blame it on your internet connection, firewall etc. when in fact the delays are often of their own making and they know it. The answer could just be that some traders have been put on manual execution thus the delays and requotes.

If you're trading FX, or anything else that moves constantly, I'd say rejections are due mostly to SLM's 'tolerance' setting, rather than connection speed. Perhaps this can be tweaked for individual accounts?

I wonder if SLM are reaching their capacity, either server/network load or more probably matching up the buyers/sellers. If so, will they re-invest and expand or take the profits and continue to look for new clients.

why do their job for them?

you wouldn't do your mates job for free would you?

I have a server. In a data centre. Optimum connection. Most of us on here are techies anyway.

its not us.

I wonder if SLM are reaching their capacity, either server/network load or more probably matching up the buyers/sellers. If so, will they re-invest and expand or take the profits and continue to look for new clients.

Unlikely they are anywhere near capacity. Remember MT4 is quite an old program designed for a time of single core servers and limited broadband connections. With multi core hardware and server virtualisation sufficient capacity should actually be relatively cheap.