Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Re: Error

Spent the afternoon getting ready for the week ahead but come across an error

Was trying to enter my Price Alerts but they would not save, when I checked the Journal on the Platform got this error:

2011.05.14 18:57:08 '11298': DataCenter connecting failed [6]

Is this just cos its Saturday ?

Sent an email to SLM help desk

Called SLM

On live you have to go the website and ask SLM to activate Enable EA's. Even if you enable on MT4 you have to activate on the website where you add funds.

If not like me you can get a conflict and the Platform can not reset. Had to uninstall then reinstall, lost all my chart set ups AGAIN.

Now spending time setting up for the morning :sleep:

EA will not be activated untill office hours. :confused:

I usually have 1 live SLM account open on 1 PC and an SLM demo open on another PC.

Is it possible to have 2 SLM MT4 platforms (1 live and 1 demo) open on the same PC?

Don't think it is but just checking.

I usually have 1 live SLM account open on 1 PC and an SLM demo open on another PC.

Is it possible to have 2 SLM MT4 platforms (1 live and 1 demo) open on the same PC?

Don't think it is but just checking.

Yes it is
Just make sure they have different file names (ie make sure one is named demo etc)

JD- Why don't you just save your profile and then no need to freak when your charts disappear?

Yes it is
Just make sure they have different file names (ie make sure one is named demo etc)

Thanks for the reply t.ph.

I do have a Thinkforex and Hotforex MT4 platform running too but the problem I am having is getting 2 SLM platforms running on the same PC at the same time.

I have the live one running on this PC now and when I double click the SLM icon a new platform will not open if you see what I mean.
It's like I can have either the live or the demo but not both running.

Thanks for the reply t.ph.

I do have a Thinkforex and Hotforex MT4 platform running too but the problem I am having is getting 2 SLM platforms running on the same PC at the same time.

I have the live one running on this PC now and when I double click the SLM icon a new platform will not open if you see what I mean.
It's like I can have either the live or the demo but not both running.

If you've only got one icon then you've only got access to one version - the icon can only point to one place. Check the path in the properties of the icon. I hace both live and demo running, but I seem to remember I had a few problems getting the icons right. I have edited one of the icon pics now to put a big D on it, to make sure I don't get confused :D

Hi guys. Good luck with your trading with SLM. I am thinking of leaving. I don't know if you were following GBPUSD today but after the inflation report, it shot up and I hesitated too long for the short. It carried on going down helped by comments from King. Then just after the US 14:15 announcements, my indication told me to go long. So was ready to go in and the price froze. I certainly had no intention of trading the frozen price but what do you do, I went in perhaps a pip or so off. Order in process window so I cancelled. It is most unfortunate to have a frozen price when your indicators suggest you should go in. But to top it off, I was accused of trading on a stale price.
Maybe from their perspective, it can be construed as such but I am tired of missed opportunities. It is hard enough to deal with your own mistakes

Forgot to mention. it was a great opportunity at 14:15 because I wanted to go long and it had forced the price down even further. Best not to dwell on missed opportunities though.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Good luck with your trading with SLM. I am thinking of leaving. I don't know if you were following GBPUSD today but after the inflation report, it shot up and I hesitated too long for the short. It carried on going down helped by comments from King. Then just after the US 14:15 announcements, my indication told me to go long. So was ready to go in and the price froze. I certainly had no intention of trading the frozen price but what do you do, I went in perhaps a pip or so off. Order in process window so I cancelled. It is most unfortunate to have a frozen price when your indicators suggest you should go in. But to top it off, I was accused of trading on a stale price.
Maybe from their perspective, it can be construed as such but I am tired of missed opportunities. It is hard enough to deal with your own mistakes

Forgot to mention. it was a great opportunity at 14:15 because I wanted to go long and it had forced the price down even further. Best not to dwell on missed opportunities though.

I'm confussed I was trading GBP/USD at the time you said. I want long on news but the pair fell, I had wide stops

But at the time you state the pair was dropping so not sure how you was to go long and if you did get in a Long it fell 45 pips so in effect you saved money :confused:

Good luck wherever you go :)

I remember a similar thing happening when Silver dropped like 450 points in 10 mins a few weeks ago. I got in at the start of that move and after about 300 of the 450 the price froze for about 3 mins. I had another chart open so I could see the price had continued on downwards.

i guys, thanks for your replies. just to clarify, I don't have a GBPUSD chart open so going off memory. At 14:15, it did go down. I did not go in the moment it turned 14:15, I waited until there was an upward move (perhaps it was 14:16. So in effect, it was right at the bottom. But the price froze just as I went in long. Other things were fine internet-wise so I cannot see it as a problem on my part. I can't be sure but I think the price froze for 20-30 seconds perhaps. What gets to me is the email I got. I have been following this thread for some time and SLM think that there are people who exploit these stale prices and I appear to be lumped in that category. I addressed it to Paul but got a general response about when a stale price, phone in. This is out of the question because by the time I phone in, the price could be well over 10 pips away.

From my experience, trading around news is difficult with other spread betting companies. I thought SLM were excellent at this but now they seem like any other company in this respect.

I had MT4 freeze a few times when I submit an order. Something about trade context.

I kill the process immediately and start the app again. The order never gets through to SLM which is what I prefer.

Just in case though, I have SLM's dealer number on speed dial and I have already tested them to see how responsive they are :)

A hint: Always put in a stoploss and target in case of technical failure.

I had MT4 freeze a few times when I submit an order. Something about trade context.

I kill the process immediately and start the app again. The order never gets through to SLM which is what I prefer.

Just in case though, I have SLM's dealer number on speed dial and I have already tested them to see how responsive they are :)

A hint: Always put in a stoploss and target in case of technical failure.

The problem is that it's always easy to phone a SB if nothing is happening, but always impossible if for any reason the platform isn't working.

The problem is that it's always easy to phone a SB if nothing is happening, but always impossible if for any reason the platform isn't working.

Got requoted 3 times closing a position this morning. No news, no volatility, just market moving against me.

Phoned SLM to complain and got through straight away. Received a goodwill payment which was nice of them.

The guy then said he would change the "tolerance" on the pair I was trading. That worries me a bit. Maybe someone could come on and explain what a tolerance is (in terms of requotes). Never came across it in all my years of working for investment banks and I developed feeds to the market.

Last edited:
Got requoted 3 times closing a position this morning. No news, no volatility, just market moving against me.

Phoned SLM to complain and got through straight away. Received a goodwill payment which was nice of them.

The guy then said he would change the "tolerance" on the pair I was trading. That worries me a bit. Maybe someone could come on and explain what a tolerance is (in terms of requotes). Never came across it in all my years of working for investment banks and I developed feeds to the market.

I have been LIVE trading since Monday, execution for me has been faultless :smart: