Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

as above--had no problems at all on live account in approx 5 months.(apart from some bad decisions on my part)
-I don`t understand how some of you guys get in such a mess with your trading .

Strange, I'd like to know what you’re doing that we are not.

SLM admitted that they have had a problem with their demo and live data feed these past two mornings. Even now, the data is still missing.

I can only guess that you’re using higher timeframes and the missing data has not been noticed by yourself or your trading system?

Hello
Yes we had a problem with our multi-contirbuter FX data feed this morning for which I apologise. This was from 0639 - 0706.
SLM

But I feel sure that people would like to know what kind of issue this was and what you are doing about it:-

1) a one off event - never happen again.
2) happens all the time and there is nothing we can do about it
3) we have made a few changes and it may now not happen as often
4) we have investigated and solved the issue - we will not have the same issue again.
5) Dont care - nothing to do with me, it was the multi-contirbuter FX data feed

And also, is this now a policy of SLM that there will be no compensation when SLM server goes down for open trades that may move to losing positions unless the trades have a hard stop loss and take profit target? Because (I think this is correct) you refunded some people at first (for open trades with non hard SL and TP) and then you actually went back into their accounts and took the credit back. What will happen next time - will you try to be at least more consistent next time?

For all those folks that seem to be implying that this is something the SLM clients did wrong - or an issue with the EA's - I can assure you that this is not the case. If the clients did anything wrong it was (apparently) that we did not immediately call in as soon as we spotted the issue.

A few posts ago I may have said that SLM was a scam broker - I think I said this in the heat of the moment yesterday and I honestly dont think that is the case (sorry SLM) - they just need to sort their price feeds out and their compensation policy - and apply it consistently.

Hi everyone.
Been running EA's on demo for a few weeks and started live this week. Didn't have any problem with Forex Morning Trade (as opposed to Turbo Morning Trade), because it trades the GBPUSD not the EURUSD.
After reading the whole of the last 100 or so pages of this thread, my ultimate decision to carry on with these guys is hingeing on this issue of them requiring a phone call to rescue a trade when their feed goes down.
To me the real issue is that SLM are making their customers suffer the consequences for SLM's data feed failure.
I think it could be resolved if SLM introduced a simple set of options for customers to choose from in advance, regarding the automatic action SLM should take when their feed goes down.
Something like:
Option (A) - Do nothing. Just honour the TP or SL on the system (i.e. what they do now).
Option (B) - For trades that were in profit before the failure, but moved to a loss before the feed came back, honour the entry price for trade exit level. For trades that were in a loss before the failure, and SL has not been hit during the failure, leave them alone; if SL was hit close at the SL level.

Perhaps more or different options would be better, but we need to keep this simple.

The curious thing is that I know there are a few people that traded TMT or FMT with SLM and did not have any issues. If this was a problem with their feed then not sure how it can only affect some people.

If there a 2 of these things then use the reliable one.

Anyone using SML on a VPS?
Any advice on advantages or otherwise would be appreciated as I've been looking at adverts for various hosting companies and am more confused by the minute!

I am but will probably cancel. Although SLM have MT4 it seems the data feeds are too unreliable to run EAs. I am having a lot of missed trades (trades the EA should have taken but didnt).

Has anybody used the iphone app for SLM. I just downloaded it now. Initial impression is that its working really sluggish BUT i have only started running it and i DO think i need to restart my phone (iphones cant multi-task properly and they eventually burn memory slowing eveything down).

I have got to say its the best iphone trading app i have seen. Its got the features you need and its really well laid out. Looking forward to to spending a bit more time on it. And its got nice charts.

Hi everyone.
Been running EA's on demo for a few weeks and started live this week. Didn't have any problem with Forex Morning Trade (as opposed to Turbo Morning Trade), because it trades the GBPUSD not the EURUSD.
After reading the whole of the last 100 or so pages of this thread, my ultimate decision to carry on with these guys is hingeing on this issue of them requiring a phone call to rescue a trade when their feed goes down.
To me the real issue is that SLM are making their customers suffer the consequences for SLM's data feed failure.
I think it could be resolved if SLM introduced a simple set of options for customers to choose from in advance, regarding the automatic action SLM should take when their feed goes down.
Something like:
Option (A) - Do nothing. Just honour the TP or SL on the system (i.e. what they do now).

SLM - I would like to have a reply to this post, unlike the silence from the last one! Or are you under TOO MUCH PRESSURE!
Option (B) - For trades that were in profit before the failure, but moved to a loss before the feed came back, honour the entry price for trade exit level. For trades that were in a loss before the failure, and SL has not been hit during the failure, leave them alone; if SL was hit close at the SL level.

Perhaps more or different options would be better, but we need to keep this simple.

Yes I like your thinking.

But unfortunately SLM seem to take the view that it's the fault of the EA when their platform goes down. They 'cannot accept responsibility for some third party plug in software'.

That means when the EA can't change the trade because their platform is down, it's not their fault. In fact, you can't even change the trade yourself using the online trading platform. You have to phone them.

For a company whose USP is that they are the only spread betting company who support MT4 as an online trading platform, that seems like a bullet in the foot.

One of the main features of MT4 is that you can run EAs, which means you don't have to watch the screen all the time.

Then when things go wrong (probably a geuine technical malfunction - but not OUR faut), they blame '3rd party software(EAs)', instead of admitting that their platform caused false signals to be sent to our software!

SLM seem to be saying that you have to watch your trade all the time, because if their platform ceases to function, you have to get back on the phone and correct it youself. This seems to defeat the point of running an EA a lot of the time.

I don't know ? - first they change from fixed spreads to variable - so you are at their mercy at times of high volatility. Now they blame EA's for their platform failing.

A cynical person might think they are having financial problems???

Perhaps next time their overdraft is near the limit, or the directors fancy a bonus, they can freeze the platforms for a while and make a few extra bucks.

Would anyone like to post here who made a PROFIT from this mistake ????

Myself I will accept it this time, as it's not much different from a normal day's loss. They did accept broker stop loss values. I would hope if it went in my favour I would similarly profit.

But if it happens again, I will have to consider closing the account. This level of loss is probably greater than the tax liability.

I hve in the past recommended SLm - I will now have to qualify that.

Last edited:
Yes I like your thinking.

But unfortunately SLM seem to take the view that it's the fault of the EA when their platform goes down. They 'cannot accept responsibility for some third party plug in software'.

That means when the EA can't change the trade because their platform is down, it's not their fault. In fact, you can't even change the trade yourself using the online trading platform. You have to phone them.

For a company whose USP is that they are the only spread betting company who support MT4 as an online trading platform, that seems like a bullet in the foot.

One of the main features of MT4 is that you can run EAs, which means you don't have to watch the screen all the time.

Then when things go wrong (probably a geuine technical malfunction - but not OUR faut), they blame '3rd party software(EAs)', instead of admitting that their platform caused false signals to be sent to our software!

SLM seem to be saying that you have to watch your trade all the time, because if their platform ceases to function, you have to get back on the phone and correct it youself. This seems to defeat the point of running an EA a lot of the time.

I don't know ? - first they change from fixed spreads to variable - so you are at their mercy at times of high volatility. Now they blame EA's for their platform failing.

A cynical person might think they are having financial problems???

Perhaps next time their overdraft is near the limit, or the directors fancy a bonus, they can freeze the platforms for a while and make a few extra bucks.

Would anyone like to post here who made a PROFIT from this mistake ????

Myself I will accept it this time, as it's not much different from a normal day's loss. They did accept broker stop loss values. I would hope if it went in my favour I would similarly profit.

But if it happens again, I will have to consider closing the account. This level of loss is probably greater than the tax liability.

I hve in the past recommended SLm - I will now have to qualify that.

Perhaps they will always have a practice run of the event on their demo feed 24 hours prior to the real event. In that case we should all run demo accounts and monitor them to give us 24 hours notice :)

JIMMC: "They 'cannot accept responsibility for some third party plug in software'.

SLM seem to be saying that you have to watch your trade all the time, because if their platform ceases to function, you have to get back on the phone and correct it youself. This seems to defeat the point of running an EA a lot of the time."

-----------------------------------
JIMMC YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT EXACTLY REGARDING THE APPROACH WE SHOULD TAKE WITH SLM.
I am saying in my last post that the issue of EA's is IRRELEVANT.
SLM are dodging their responsibility to their customers when their feed goes down; PERIOD.
Automatic or manual trading ASIDE.
SLM are using EA's as a screen to hide behind when infact EA's are not the issue at all.

The issue is what responsibility SLM will accept in regard to 'open trades' when their feed goes down. END OF.

Let's move the discussion away from EA's for the purpose of this argument. The issue applies equally to manual trading.
If the feed goes down, manual traders:
- have no price chart to work from.
- so, as has been said earlier in this thread, what basis do the manual traders have to make an informed decision by telepnone to alter a trade? No chart info = cannot make a decision!!
- who can make any decision based on a simple current 'bid' / 'ask' given over the phone, unless the trade is nicely in profit? Otherwise, there are too many shades of grey to be considered without an up to date chart.

Hence my suggestions to SLM in my last post.

Last edited:
JIMMC YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT EXACTLY REGARDING THE APPROACH WE SHOULD TAKE WITH SLM.
I am saying in my last post that the issue of EA's is IRRELEVANT.
SLM are dodging their responsibility to their customers when their feed goes down PERIOD. Automatic or manual trading ASIDE. SLM are using EA's as a screen to hide behind when infact EA's are not the issue at all.
The issue is what responsibility they will accept to open trades when their feed goes down END OF.
Kevin

-----------------------------------------

They did say that if you were having trouble modifying a trade due to the platform freeze (manually or otherwise), you could call them at the time and they would have done it for you or at least honored your changed position (if they also failed to change the position).

The problem is that an EA does not know how to call SLM. I did contact them a few minutes after the first freeze ( EA was in profit but not moved to BE yet) to ask them what was happening - at the time prices were moving. Subsequently the prices froze again when I wasn't looking. Price (not SLM prices) moved further into profit to a point where BE would have been set - had this been manual I would have probably just sat there like a lemon wondering why the prices were not moving (I also can only react to the price I can see and am not sure if the lack of price change is a problem or not).

Now that I know SLM's policy - my reaction is to use them less - only manual or simple EA's that have hard SL and TP.

The onus now is 100% on the reliability of their server. If this happens again in the next few months then I think the much reduced usage will move to zero.

It would be interesting to know how much they would have had to pay out should they have decided to compensate everyone with a reasonable case, verses how much future business they have lost for not compensating.

YEAH. I guess they will do the Maths.
Scan back in the thread to 12.02am GMT (I was still editing my post when you gave your previous post).

SLM KNOW that there is nothing a customer can do to compensate for a failure in SLMs data feed, without the help of SLM. Eventually SLM will understand the customers point of view on this.....
Hopefully they will not have lost too much business while cogitating!

You make a good point regarding that the EA cannot call SLM to make an alteration to a trade. This is why we need SLM to make available the advance options I mentioned in my first post above.

Last edited:
The last few posts have made interesting reading and made me realise just how much at the mercy of SLM we are when we invest our hard earned money with them.

Having said that I doubt they will lose many customers, some will threaten to leave but MT4 is such a user friendly platform (if the feeds are constant) and whewre would they go.

The fiasco on Monday and Tuesday made me look elsewhere, Thinkforex seem pretty good and never had any problems with Alpari.

Let's move the discussion away from EA's for the purpose of this argument. The issue applies equally to manual trading.
If the feed goes down, manual traders:
- have no price chart to work from.
- so, as has been said earlier in this thread, what basis do the manual traders have to make an informed decision by telepnone to alter a trade? No chart info = cannot make a decision!!
- who can make any decision based on a simple current 'bid' / 'ask' given over the phone, unless the trade is nicely in profit? Otherwise, there are too many shades of grey to be considered without an up to date chart.

Hence my suggestions to SLM in my last post.

IMO you're asking for trouble if you don't have access to charts from at least one other source.

IMO you're asking for trouble if you don't have access to charts from at least one other source.

Absolutely.

If you have an iPhone or smartphone, get a charting package for free (eg, TradeInterceptor or something similar). That way you can always have charts with you from various major feeds to compare. If not, at least get another MT4 demo account with anyone on your PC.

Then you are covered as you can make a concrete decision on the spot as to whether your broker has messed you around with their feed. To just trust one feed in this non central exchange market is too unprotected. You can only rely on one feed in a central exchange market like futures or stocks.

Here's the thing -

I dont think SLM should have honoued all open trades. I get their point that they can not anticipate what an EA might do (althouh they seem to be ok with manual traders saying they would have done something).

This is where SLM got it wrong....

If the trader can show ticket numbers of trades with the same magic number - that the trade was opened at the same time of day, and at the same price above EP the SL was moved to BE - how can they deny this. Yes there is a chance that you could have changed the settings between the last BE trade and the event - but I think that is a very small chance indeed. SLM should have taken the time to say - show me your past behaviour of BE and 20 at the same time of day and I will honour it.

I asked 2 other brokers about this and they both said (without prompting) that if you have the same repeated pattern (a few times in the history) and you could provide ticket numbers and journal entries of those trades, they would be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that the same simple behavior would have occurred at the price freeze.

The above makes perfect common sense to me - I just dont underrstand why SLM have an issue with it. They mentioned the phrase "any Tom Dick or Harry could say anything", well not if you demonstrate past behaviour!

ticket #5678

Trade taken out at 6:30, magic number 1234
EP+20 magic number 1234 moves SL to BE

ticket #5699

ticket #5579

etc etc

Do any of you SLM fanboys question why an SB firm would use MT4/5? And do you know how firms make money (extra profit/commissions) from Metatrader? How Metatrader actually *works* (for the industry users)?