Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Re: Meta Trader 4

Don't want this to become a circuitous argument, mostly I've been intrigued re. the fanboy switch to sml...as you know I'm a defender of the SB industry; the issues folk have owe more to inexperience/imcompetence than malpractice..If you're profitable with, for example, IG, why change? Moving to MT4 and a new player is v.unlikely to improve individual profitability..

If sml are SocGen in disguise then fair play, but we're talking about an industry that isn't perfectly regulated and even deposting 500 quid I'd want to know how strong/well capitalised they are before trading with them..call it due dilligence, even on a micro level..;)
I have been waiting for somebody to intigrate SB into the MT4 platform. I have traded CFDs on the MT4 platform for quite a while and know what you can do with it. IG's platform is not as versitile in finding your own solotions to platform features.

Funny thing, I was regarded being pro SB industry, long before your time on the forum.:)

Try View, Market Watch, right click and Show All.

thanks for helping me out mate, much appriciated. (y)

One last thing, I'm getting a delay of about an hour - is this normal? Unsure of whether its free or not, website isn't very clear ?

edit: delay seems to be an hour back, do you need to pay to open an account or something? Sorry for the newb questions, Googling didn't reveal much!

Thank you

Last edited:

One last thing, I'm getting a delay of about an hour - is this normal? Unsure of whether its free or not, website isn't very clear ?

Thank you
No delay on my MT4 demo. The platform is free to use and what you pay is the spread on the SB instruments.

Thank you

An hour delay! Can't even trade demo with that. What are you unsure of being free?

I'm unsure of it being free due to the huge delay from live stream lol.

For example, I've got the ftse 100 up in live @ 10:30 @ 5277.

MT4 shows 9:30 @ 5244 as its latest (i.e; I cant scroll forward to the correct time).

I can post a screenshot if that would help...
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9575/marketdelaymt4.jpg

Thanks

Are you sure you have opened a spread bet account and not the forex/cfd account.

Yes, or are you sure there is actually a delay? The figures might be different on the FTSE SB (or CFDs) instrument, but the movement reflect that of the of the underlaying asset.

Are you sure you have opened a spread bet account and not the forex/cfd account.

Hmm to be honest I'm not 100% sure, i'm a complete newbie to this.

Here are the account types I have available;
accounttypes.jpg

Yes, or are you sure there is actually a delay? The figures might be different on the FTSE SB (or CFDs) instrument, but the movement reflect that of the of the underlaying asset.

Well on the Interactive Investor (who I SpreadBet with) (hope thats ok to mention!) its the FTSE 100 which is UK 100 - however theres about 3 on there. Even so, my time is still 1 hour behind - the Market Watch says "Market Watch: 10:02" where as my PC time and actual time is 11:02.

Completley confused lol, Wanted to use it instead of the one provided by the company I use, as the graphing ability is limited.

Regards

Hmm to be honest I'm not 100% sure, i'm a complete newbie to this.

Here are the account types I have available;
accounttypes.jpg

Well on the Interactive Investor (who I SpreadBet with) (hope thats ok to mention!) its the FTSE 100 which is UK 100 - however theres about 3 on there. Even so, my time is still 1 hour behind - the Market Watch says "Market Watch: 10:02" where as my PC time and actual time is 11:02.

Completley confused lol, Wanted to use it instead of the one provided by the company I use, as the graphing ability is limited.

Regards
Go to www.smartlivemarkets.co.uk Download the MT4 SB platform, reinstall.

Thanks Tenapenny,

Trying some custom indicators, but they're not apprearing... followed these steps to a tee and it doesn't show up? Am I doing it wrong or is this a restriction of the demo account?

1) Download/Copy/Save the MQ4/EX4 file into your C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators folder
2) Close your MetaTrader application (assuming it's currently open ... Ignore this if the application hasn't been launched)
3) Launch your MetaTrader application
4) On the left hand side, look for the "Navigator" window
5) Under the "Common" tab, look into the "Custom Indicators" directory
6) Locate the indicator which you have just downloaded into the folder stated in Step 1
7) Drag (Click and drag) the indicator onto the chart

Edit: Tried it with various ex4 files and they're still not inputting :(

Last edited:

Thanks Tenapenny,

Trying some custom indicators, but they're not apprearing... followed these steps to a tee and it doesn't show up? Am I doing it wrong or is this a restriction of the demo account?

1) Download/Copy/Save the MQ4/EX4 file into your C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators folder
2) Close your MetaTrader application (assuming it's currently open ... Ignore this if the application hasn't been launched)
3) Launch your MetaTrader application
4) On the left hand side, look for the "Navigator" window
5) Under the "Common" tab, look into the "Custom Indicators" directory
6) Locate the indicator which you have just downloaded into the folder stated in Step 1
7) Drag (Click and drag) the indicator onto the chart
Be sure to put in the right folder. Indicator (indicator folder), EA (experts folder) or a script (scripts folder). Also have a look at Tools, Options. There is no restriction on the demo.

Yeh I have been placing it in the indicator folder as ex4 and not mq4 as I've had some mq4 but compiled it manually and then copied into MetaTrader4 > Experts > Indicator as a .ex4 format file and still nothing.

Yeh I have been placing it in the indicator folder as ex4 and not mq4 as I've had some mq4 but compiled it manually and then copied into MetaTrader4 > Experts > Indicator as a .ex4 format file and still nothing.
Try restart MT4 or mark "Live trading" in Tools, Options, Expert Advisors. Could also be another box you have to mark in the Tools, Options.

You do put them in the SB MT4 folder.:)

@BlackSwan:

Leaving aside SLM, and MT4, etc, for the moment, I have often wondered why there are not more defenders of FXCM here on T2W. Apart from your good self and "Jason", none come to mind. I haven't done a recent trawl, but I have done in the past, and was surprised not to get more "feel" for the way people felt about FXCM. There wasn't much "anti", either, but I expected a bit more "pro". Same thing with Prospreads, actually, because on the face of it, both outfits appeared to offer the best of both worlds to the spread-better: fast execution on a DMA-"like" platform, coupled with the simplicity and tax-free advantages of the SB model.

I've been on the point of signing up a few times, but each time I've had some lingering or nagging doubt, or just on some occasions it was not the right time for whatever reason. I'm sure I will give them a go at some point, but ...

So, anyway, why are there not more fans here do you think?

Hey,

Try restart MT4 or mark "Live trading" in Tools, Options, Expert Advisors. Could also be another box you have to mark in the Tools, Options.

Will try to do that and report back.

You do put them in the SB MT4 folder.:)

I'm placing it in the following folder;
C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 4\experts

is that correct? Any sources to a free but genuine custom indicator? Perhaps I've obtained faulty ones (n)

Thanks

Hey,

Will try to do that and report back.

I'm placing it in the following folder;
C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 4\experts

is that correct? Any sources to a free but genuine custom indicator? Perhaps I've obtained faulty ones (n)

Thanks
If it is an EA you place in this folder. Indicators you place in C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators. You could have several MT4 installed, be sure to use Smart Live Spread Bet MT4\experts\indicators folder.