Simple Inside Bars

Over time it does seem to work, 5 losses of -20 can be followed by 2 x100+ and a 50 or something, just a case of random sitribuiton of winners and losers.

I don't think any other filters would really help. For all the trades they'd save you'd still miss others.

Also if this was over 5 or 6 different instruments then in should even out so they wouldn't all lose at once.

Over time it does seem to work, 5 losses of -20 can be followed by 2 x100+ and a 50 or something, just a case of random sitribuiton of winners and losers.

I don't think any other filters would really help. For all the trades they'd save you'd still miss others.

Also if this was over 5 or 6 different instruments then in should even out so they wouldn't all lose at once.

So far, it works for me, but I don't feel confident with it, yet

My score, this week. +1; -7; +60; -9; +28.

As you can see, I'm nervous of losses. -20 is a big deal for me!

Split foredog

glad they are working out for you two

for idea's only, no testing done & not really my cup of T

no your potential advantage if your riding a winner

only takes a minute with standard sb charts, might be worth leaving a little on at your usual exit if all in play

IB's within IB's at potential R or S

H1 IB ftse today

think there was another later, going the other way :)

sure you get the idea - something to look at

anyhows

all best with it :clover:

Andy

Attachments

• WK IB.bmp
    2 MB · Views: 199
  • D1 IB.jpg
    D1 IB.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 213
  • H1 IB.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
Oh what fun cable is at the moment.

Took the IB short yesterday afternoon, stopped out for 20.

Took the Ib this morning, went 10 points in favour then smashed through the lows and triggered stops before rallying nearly 100 points from that low. Such is life.

Will try and post charts etc later.

I've shorted FTSE for 5130 Daily Future (5159 Rolling). There's an IB on 5 min and my signals are short.

Last edited:
Gone long again on break of 9am bar @ 16067, stop at 16047, don't hold out much hope for this trade as big IB and BOE oming up soon, but you never know, it could be that runner i'm waiting for, doubt it though........

Ft could be getting into the lunchtime chop area. I'm 22 points up, so have decided to see if I can hold it and extend it into the afternoon. Going to work at 1330, I might be able to leave it with a stop on.

Glad to see someone making some money this week, good trading Split.

Glad to see someone making some money this week, good trading Split.

I've had enough, though. Since I have done well this week, I'm going to leave this with a breakeven +1 stop on it and see what has happened when I get home.

I entered at 5131 Daily Future and will put my stop at 5130. That's 5159 Rolling. I don't advise anyone else to do this. It's an experiment which I have tried before and regretted. But it's

"Hold 'em or fold 'em" :)

Good luck this afternoon.

Gone long again on break of 9am bar @ 16067, stop at 16047, don't hold out much hope for this trade as big IB and BOE oming up soon, but you never know, it could be that runner i'm waiting for, doubt it though........

FD, have you been stopped out of this?

Maybe this is one of those bars which was simply too 'big' to signify the indecision that an IB supposedly represents.

Also, doesn't this method suggest the stop should have been below the low of the candle?

Mb

Yes, bar probably was too big, didn't take it on my main account but since i've said i'll take all IB's then i went for it, last one i missed was a profit.

You're right that conventionally the stop would be below the low, but I've found 20 pts usually works and allows decent size for the trades that do run. Have posted my rules for this a few pages back (http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/43898-simple-inside-bars-18.html) post 139.

Very predictably got stopped out, i said would move stop to Breakeven if 30pts up, so it went 25 and retraced. C'est la vie.

On to the next trade. The account is still in profit since i started trading it a week ago....although if cable performs like this for much longer it won't be but such is the roller-coaster life of trading.

Last edited:
Ah sorry I think must have missed that post. Enjoying the journal, keep it up and good luck.

Was out for a run and missed the 1300 bar close, looks like it triggered and then immediately went down. Possilby should include something in the rules about the size of the IB as i personally wouldn't have taken the two 40+ ones on my real account, was trying to stay totally rule based on this. Food for thought. But then that part an be better left discretionary, a 40pip IB is not so good if the previous nar was 50pips but if it was 40pips and 140 then it would be worth considering.

I was very fortunate. I made a mistake and put my stop at 5159, which was the rolling level. I'll have to be more careful, in future. The trade was still in profit and I closed out with about 11 points profit. Not as good as at 1330 but, for a mistake, better than I deserved.

For those interested in the FT Daily Future, it closes with the Dow, not EOD London. I didn't know that, either.

depending on your bias ~

an interesting level for lower timeframe IB's and their offspring perhaps

Attachments

• WK IB.bmp
    2 MB · Views: 168
  • today.jpg
    today.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Hikkake Set up.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 264
depending on your bias ~

an interesting level for lower timeframe IB's and their offspring perhaps

I shorted FT at 0849 for 5163 because I saw an IB on 5 min. Nearly stopped myself out because it went higher for a couple of bars. I can see a row of peaks at a little higher level and that influenced me into shorting, though, Not the IB, itself. Then,, there was an IB on the 15 min. I was in by then, though. So am into profit at this point aand hoping to see the averages go into a downtrend.

The price is in the overnight chop area. It has to break down through that.

I shorted FT at 0849 for 5163 because I saw an IB on 5 min. Nearly stopped myself out because it went higher for a couple of bars. I can see a row of peaks at a little higher level and that influenced me into shorting, though, Not the IB, itself. Then,, there was an IB on the 15 min. I was in by then, though. So am into profit at this point aand hoping to see the averages go into a downtrend.

The price is in the overnight chop area. It has to break down through that.

nice entry Split

H1 IB just printed for you

good :clover: with it

pdf = thought of the day :)

poets day

have a good weekend

Andy

Attachments

• H1 IB.bmp
    940.6 KB · Views: 184
  • pdf read.pdf
    214.4 KB · Views: 1,642
Last edited:
I no the guy gets some stick when he posts on the boards

think there are some real good thoughts contained in below advice from Joe Ross

Trading Tips From Joe Ross
The Trade Decision

1. Never add to a losing position.

2. Always determine a stop and a profit objective before entering a trade. Place stops based on market information, not your account balance. If a "proper" stop is too expensive, don't do the trade.

3. Remember the "power of a position." Never make a market judgment when you have a position.

4. Your decision to exit a trade means you perceive changing circumstances. Don't suddenly think you can pick a price, exit at the market.

The Market Has Character

5. In a Bull market, never sell a dull market, in Bear market, never buy a dull market.

6. There are times, because of lack of liquidity, or excessive volatility, when you should not trade.

7. Trading systems that work in an up market may not work in a down market.

8. There are at least three types of markets: up trending, range bound, and down. Have different trading strategies for each.

9. Up market and down market patterns are ALWAYS present, merely one is more dominant. In an up market, for example, it is very easy to take sell signal after sell signal, only to be stopped out time and again. Select trades with the trend.

10. A buy signal that fails is a sell signal. A sell signal that fails is a buy signal.

11. It's always easier to enter a losing trade.

12. In the "blowout" stage of the market, up or down, risk managers are issuing margin call position liquidation orders. They don't check the screen for overbought or oversold, they just keep issuing liquidation orders. Don't stand in front of a runaway freight train.

13. You are superstitious; don't trade if something bothers you.

News

14. Buy the rumor, sell the news.

15. News is only important when the market doesn't react in the direction of the news.

16. Read today's paper tomorrow. When you read yesterday's paper each day with the knowledge of what the market already did, you will affirm that this mornings paper with yesterday's news has nothing to do with today's market.

A Time To Trade

17. On the open, never enter a new trade in the direction of a gap. Never let the market make you make a trade. (Closing an existing position is obviously ok.)

18. The first and last tick are the most expensive. Get in late and out early.

19. When everyone is in, it's time to get out.

20. Never trade when you are sick.

Tracking Your Trades

21. Size kills. Only change your unit of trading under a plan of attained goals. Also, have a plan for reducing size when your trading is cold or market volume is down.

22. Confidence kills. Remember, you really don't know anything. Respect the market every second of every day. Expect the unexpected. Always know your position and exit your trade immediately whenever you feel uneasy.

23. Measure yourself by profitable "days in a row," not by individual trades.

24. The best way to break a streak of "losing days in a row" is to not trade for a day.

25. Don't stop trading when your on a winning streak. "When your hot, your hot."

26. Three strikes and your out! Don't turn three losing trades in a row into six in a row. When you’re off, turn off the screen, do something else. "When you’re not, you’re not."

27. Scalpers reduce the number of variables effecting market risk by being in a position only for seconds. Day traders reduce market risk by being in trades for a matter of minutes.

28. If you convert a scalp or day trade into a position trade, by definition you did not consider the risks of the trade.

29. Don't ever fret about a missed opportunity. There is always another one just around the corner. Besides, several just happened that you didn't even know about.

Market Opinions

30. If you look for market secrets you will only find things that no one cares about. Use the conventional tools.

31. Never ask for someone else's opinion, they probably did not do as much homework as you.

32. When the market is going up, say "the market is going up." When the market is going down, say "the market is going down." Say it without qualifications, no "buts" attached. This is a reality check, you'll be amazed at how hard it is to say what is literally going on in front of you when your mind is full of preconceived opinions.

33. THE DAILY MARKET COMMENTARY: I've never had an opinion I didn't like, however, successful day trading requires flexibility. Do your homework not to develop a market opinion, but rather to understand the potential for both sides of the market. This will allow you to make your trades based on what the market is doing at the time of the trade.

34. Here is a quote to remember: "When you wake up, your instincts are wrong."

Some Final Thoughts

35. When you make a mistake of discipline, whine like a fool to anyone that will listen. Errors in discipline are mistakes you will keep on making for many years. Wearing ashes and sack cloth may help extend the time before you do it again.

36. If you squirmed and moaned while you read this list, then you share two obvious characteristics with many of us:

A. You have traded long enough to recognize that you (not the market) make mistakes, and you try to overcome them.

B. Now this is ugly, you have become part of the market and you can never leave.

No matter where life takes you, you will always check the market and always want to continue being a part of it. It's like that first true love, it will always be there no matter what the distance, no matter whether they are alive or dead.

Tenbob,

Thought this was brilliant. Thanks for posting.

Ged

I closed at 1315 at 5135 for 28 points.

Maybe it will be proved to be premature but I wasn't too pleased with how yesterday's trade ended. It may be better to close out the trade when I have to leave for work.

I haven't counted, but I think that I have made over 100 points, this week, so inside bars help. I'll count up, later

"Now the dealin's done"

Have a good afternoon.

Well done Split, good weeks profit there.

Andy, Didn't take any trades today, had enough for the week and also it's a bank holidy here so hit the beach for a few hours.

Typical just had a glance at the charts and although i wouldn't have taken the first IB as it would have been a short above the 50ma the pin bar at 1200 and the IB at 1500 would have been 100 and 25 pips in profit at the moment trailing the stops....guess thats sods law, just show you have to keep taking the trades.

I'll be there Monday ready to take that next loss on the chin.....:LOL: