Should the Scotland vote worry anyone ?

A simpler method in my view is simply identifying which derivatives have been over-priced (in your view) because of the temporary ramp in IV because of the uncertainty assigned to the referendum and sell those (naked or hedged) on the basis the pricing will come into line pretty sharply afterwards. Whatever the result - the uncertainly will be gone and with it, the premium on premium which you will already have in your pocket.

Anyone else have any trading plans in place for the results?
Results should come in from about 1am.
It is thought that Edinburgh and Glasgow (making up 20% of the vote) will come in at about 5am.

What's your plan? Bed? :sleep:

A great and correct result guys imho

Good arguments put civilly by the NO camp. Not much doing from the YES voters ?

Anyway a fun debate.

HHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUURAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is not fair for Salmond to start sniping from his retirement after only 2 days. It will take months to implement the changes. Salmond is showing himself up not only as a loser but a sore loser.
Well at least he didn't claim it was rigged like in most 3rd world countries, yet.

Was he Moscow or Beijing's man really ?
It may come to light; fat brown envelopes maybe ?

I suppose the long suffering taxpayers footed the expenses for that unnecessary referendum.

Last edited:
I think it is not fair for Salmond to start sniping from his retirement after only 2 days. It will take months to implement the changes. Salmond is showing himself up not only as a loser but a sore loser.
Well at least he didn't claim it was rigged like in most 3rd world countries, yet.

I suppose the long suffering taxpayers footed the expenses for that unnecessary referendum.

Well it just keeps getting better.

Shrek is gone, Sturgeon reigns supreme and the Labour vote in Scotland looks like collapsing, meaning that the Scots Nats might have even more influence down in Westminster.

There's a perfect storm brewing. Cons will do ok at the election (based on economic competence). Lab will fare much worse (Unelectable Miliband ). Scots Nats roaring ahead. Then there's the decimation of the Libs coupled with a rise from UKIP.

So, I'm calling it a win for the Cons....but they will be forced to do a deal with UKIP, cos there's no way they will entertain the Nats or Labour lol.

Listened a bit to the Sturgeon's lack of new ideas - nuff said really.
Usual nationalist's " anti the rest " message ! and headed for the dustbin as they put it into laws.
Heil Nicola, where are your jackboots lovey ?
A small black toothbrush moustache would look the part ?

Last edited:

I'm a bit late joining this one, but didn't you say he'd never resign? :)

I'm a bit late joining this one, but didn't you say he'd never resign? :)

Did I ? Don't remember that.

He resigned once before and then made a comeback. Not impossible.

It'll be interesting when the EU referendum comes due to see if it will cover all Britain or it's bits separately !!
In bits we could have some bits in and some out which could be fun.

Last edited:
Well it just keeps getting better.

Shrek is gone, Sturgeon reigns supreme and the Labour vote in Scotland looks like collapsing, meaning that the Scots Nats might have even more influence down in Westminster.

There's a perfect storm brewing. Cons will do ok at the election (based on economic competence). Lab will fare much worse (Unelectable Miliband ). Scots Nats roaring ahead. Then there's the decimation of the Libs coupled with a rise from UKIP.

So, I'm calling it a win for the Cons....but they will be forced to do a deal with UKIP, cos there's no way they will entertain the Nats or Labour lol.

Sadly, I think you are right, but I strongly question the Con's economic competence. It's just that they know which side their bread is buttered (banking and finance sector), and keep it happy. New Labour tried to do the same, but wasn't quite as good at it. Both thoroughly corrupt, IMHO.

Lib Dems are washed up. UKIP are beyond the pale.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the SNP really does make gains in the UK parliament, and I will laugh my socks off (at the "NO" campaigners) if that happens - They reckoned they wanted a union, so now they have to live with the consequences.

Personally, I'm voting Green. Not perfect, but the least worst option at the moment in my opinion.

I'm sorry that Scotland didn't get independence, mainly for the following reason: It could have been the perfect opportunity for them to start off with a new, debt-free money system (if they'd had the gumption to go that way, and not continue to be prisoners of the banking system). Instead, they wanted their cake and eat it by clinging on to the "poond" - better than the Euro at least. That way, they might well have turned out like another Norway, Sweden or Denmark (none of whom, very wisely, has got rid of its sovereign currency).

Will Cameron resign if the yes camp win ? I doubt it.

Will Salmon resign if the no vote wins ? I doubt it

When will the whole charade be held again and again until the vote goes their way ?

Pat: this was the post I meant - To be fair, you didn't say he definitely wouldn't.

On the latter point, I think it's inevitable that there will be another referendum one day, but I don't think for quite some time.

Pat: this was the post I meant - To be fair, you didn't say he definitely wouldn't.

On the latter point, I think it's inevitable that there will be another referendum one day, but I don't think for quite some time.

OK so I was wrong about Salmond but there he was at the SNP conference grinning from ear to ear. He'll be back and busy behind the scenes to promote his preferred candidate and himself.

Nationalism is such a strong call and has been since time began. Starts well and gradually fails.
All in favour of cultural nationalism, song/dance etc. but political ? Not really, looking at past Nationalists.

OK so I was wrong about Salmond but there he was at the SNP conference grinning from ear to ear. He'll be back and busy behind the scenes to promote his preferred candidate and himself.

Nationalism is such a strong call and has been since time began. Starts well and gradually fails.
All in favour of cultural nationalism, song/dance etc. but political ? Not really, looking at past Nationalists.

Leaving aside my arguments elsewhere about the money system, I've long thought that regionalism / federalism / "devo max" should be the way to go, somewhat along German lines.

Germany always had a strongly regionalised emphasis, and of course was not unified until 1871. The Prussians did their best to centralise things, and that didn't really end well.

After WW2, the Allies deliberately re-imposed a strongly de-centralised, multi-layered system of federal government in the west (and I think the Russians imposed a similar system - although along Communist lines of course) in the east. The reason being to stop the centre becoming too powerful, and recent history repeating itself.

It worked very well for Western Germany, and I always wondered why, if it was good enough for us to impose on the Germans, why didn't we try it ourselves? The tendency in the UK has been for centralisation to increase, and that's one of the reasons why Scotland has grown more and more unhappy (and why Wales ought to be unhappy, but perhaps they have more patience).

Unfortunately, I don't think the major parties have the vision to put anything like this into practice, and if they tried, they'd probably cöck it up. If it succeeded though, and if in addition we were sensible enough to reform our money system to be debt-free, then the "experiment" of Scotland going-it alone, moneywise, would be unnecessary: Scotland would benefit from a new central debt-free currency, along with all the regions. Failing that, experiments with local / regional currencies could be tried. And local banks - c.f. Richard Werner:

http://www.the-free-lunch.com/videos/video05.html

http://www.futuresolent.org.uk/our-programme/hampshire-community-bank/

It's hard to see quite where it is going. I listened to some politicians talking about devolution to cities, on what seemed USA lines of a strong mayor and cronies. The Boss Hogg model.
Frankly the US system is very poor in my humble opinion and should not be copied. It mostly consists of money driven politics where most are on the take. The party with the biggest war chest to hand out as encouragement - wins. The President and Congress keep tripping over each other and not much gets done. Well after all,l it was put together hundreds of years ago, in a rush of differing opinions. And probably designed so that politicians are prevented from total control.

But by all means encourage towns and cities to compete with their nearest neighbours. The people would benefit from better services, car parking, libraries etc.

I think some aspects of the American state system do have much to offer, although agree that it has become pretty corrupt, especially as far as national politics goes.

Like here, there has developed a strong emphasis on centralisation, especially in recent decades, with the consequent backlash from people like the survivalists (our friend TRO is of that persuasion), and libertarians like Bill Still.

But (and sorry to hark on about money again, but it is important) their system (if allowed) can encompass such things as the North Dakota State Bank, in a state with a budget surplus and low unemployment

http://www.publicbankinginstitute.org/intro_to_public_banking

Not so easy here, where local authorities are highly constrained in what they can do financially.