Should I take $50k and backpack around the world?

Should I take $50k and backpack around the world?

• Total voters
If I thought you were up to it I would suggest you go look for 3 truckloads of buried treasure.

Oh well

yeah would recommend it. only problem is u gotta come back and join the real world again :rolleyes:(n)

ged lol

GammaJammer, I have sent you a msg via the fattail forum, I think it should have reached your email. Would be really grateful if you could check your email :) .

Thank you.

Not if you'd rather get stabbed by a 'homie' at tesco. Much more manly to be shot by a shifta rebel.

yeah would recommend it. only problem is u gotta come back and join the real world again :rolleyes:(n)

ged lol

Not necessarily, Asia is full of job openings at the moment so he could pretty much
stop off for a few years to extend his travelling or get a proper job and settle
for a while.

Ged

Answers on a postcard. Prolly take a couple of years, maybe more. Willing to skip the states.

Markets ain't going anywhere, my youth is.

Yeah but dont put the 50k in the backpack :cheesy:

If its something you really want to do, go for it! Life is so very short. What are your reasons and what you planning on doing/seeing if you do? You thinking of doing it in one go or couple of months here-home-couple of months here-home...

Someone I know, did it for a year, 10 years ago and she loved it (and wants to go again although for 4-6wks at a time).

I dont understand the "meet new cultures/ people" or "see this amazing sight" argument.
Lots of interesting people nearby and lots of things all around you to awe at or do...

Someone I know, did it for a year, 10 years ago and loved it although I think the novelty of seeing the sights wore off a bit. They want to go again but for 4-6wks at a time.

Would be great to write a book like "the dice man" (that was fiction?), the "yes man" or the guy who put his worth on a spin......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCdBsOIKYA

I dont understand the "meet new cultures/ people" or "see this amazing sight" argument.
Lots of interesting people nearby and lots of things all around you to awe at or do...

Just seen you from Gibraltar, does the above apply? :cheesy:

Why would you of all people throw your life away, bumming around the world?

You could have been a contender, you could have been somebody. Instead of a bum, which is what you are.

Better to take a few months here and there if you can. I met I guy in Mali once who had been travelling for three years. He seemed to be really bored and just spent most of his time playing cards. I always feel that after a month or so in a place I'm quite looking forward to getting home and don't really fancy the idea of moving onto another country.

Anyway, with regard to your itinerary, assuming you do go, go to Alaska if you can, it's brilliant, and try and get a last minute package on a cruise to the Antarctic when you're in Patagonia. You can sometimes make big savings on the full fares. Also New Zealand, in my view is pleasant, but not that exciting. It's like Britain with bigger mountains and more rain. You'll see much better scenery in the Himalayas and Andes, so you might not want to plan on spending too much of your time there.

Edit: The other thing is that maybe an understanding of different cultures around the world will help your trading. Jim Rogers went off travelling and it certainly didn't seem to do his career any harm.

Last edited:
A true intellectual can travel further in his armchair in one day than the clueless can in a lifetime

( think about it )

A true intellectual can travel further in his armchair in one day than the clueless can in a lifetime

( think about it )

On my travels i

Got wed in Vegas
Helicoptered over Hoover Dam
Night tour of alacatraz
Sunset in Sausalito
Evening sailed in Hawaii
Basked on the beach in Fiji
Winery tasting in Marlborough
Climbed the Fox Glacier
Sailed the Fjords in NZ
Climbed Sydney bridge
Drank Singapore Sling in Raffles
Seen the view from Petronas Towers
Ate the best curry of my life in Penang
Watched the light show in Hong Kong
Met some great friends for life
Started a new life abroad

Have a great life in your armchair :D

On my travels i

Got wed in Vegas
Helicoptered over Hoover Dam
Night tour of alacatraz
Sunset in Sausalito
Evening sailed in Hawaii
Basked on the beach in Fiji
Winery tasting in Marlborough
Climbed the Fox Glacier
Sailed the Fjords in NZ
Climbed Sydney bridge
Drank Singapore Sling in Raffles
Seen the view from Petronas Towers
Ate the best curry of my life in Penang
Watched the light show in Hong Kong
Met some great friends for life
Started a new life abroad

Have a great life in your armchair :D

You have basically just reinforced the post by Pat494 (although i think its more to do with having a 'rich inner world') :cheesy:

( think about it )

Most of that list or similar experiences can prolly be achieved in one country or very similar eg meeting friends, a good curry, sunsets, bridges, sailing, views, drinking....... bit of a shallow list really if thats what you wanted to achieve from travelling

Last edited:
You have basically just given a perfect example of the post by Pat494 :cheesy:

Most of that list or similar experiences can prolly be achieved in one country or very similar eg meeting friends, a good curry, sunsets, bridges, sailing, drinking....... bit of a shallow list really if thats what you wanted to achieve from travelling

I missed his post so my list probably looks a bit shallow. But hey i loved every minute of it while the super intelligent throrise in their armchairs festering away. :p

I missed his post so my list probably looks a bit shallow. But hey i loved every minute of it while the super intelligent throrise in their armchairs festering away. :p

Sorry I thought you made a quote about an armchair in you previous post implying you had read it.

Great that you loved every minute of it and I think thats what its all about but I dont think you need travel round the world to achieve those things

Sorry I thought you made a quote about an armchair in you previous post implying you had read it.

Great that you loved every minute of it and I think thats what its all about but I dont think you need travel round the world to achieve those things

In my eyes the things i saw and experienced i couldnt have experienced in the UK alone. Travelling just made me realise what a small part of the world i lived in and actually prepared me for saying yes to a new job in Hong Kong when i got back home.

Regardless it still is each and everyone to their own..........(y)

what I was saying in a round about way was that some are clueless and drift through life, going where the wind blows them, while others have purpose and are more likely to achieve something positive.

I used to work in HK. Is there still an Icehouse St. ? and kin doah ?

what I was saying in a round about way was that some are clueless and drift through life, going where the wind blows them, while others have purpose and are more likely to achieve something positive.

I used to work in HK. Is there still an Icehouse St. ? and kin doah ?

Yes its still there. Its near Dot Cods and near the HSBC Building.

Kin Doah not sure but Kin doah as well.

I get what you mean about the drifting as ive done that for a few years then i get
my sh1t together and get back on track.

What did you do out here when you lived here. I absolutely love it and live over in
Sai Ying Pun where its nice and quiet. :D