Should I take $50k and backpack around the world?

Should I take $50k and backpack around the world?

• Total voters
ah so 3 days in a row, ramping up 10+ handles then coming back down 10+ handles is standard issue price action? not to mention asset class corelation is at record highs, you have gold rampoing up, stocks ramping up, bonds ramping up, commods ramping up, all at the same time. market is a joke at the moment. its a full on case of when in doubt, BUY EVERYTHING.

you have market going every which way on speculation of QE2 or no QE2, you have POMO days several days a week with the primary dealers ramping stocks to the moon on fresh fed dollars, price action is ****ed.

ah so 3 days in a row, ramping up 10+ handles then coming back down 10+ handles is standard issue price action? not to mention asset class corelation is at record highs, you have gold rampoing up, stocks ramping up, bonds ramping up, commods ramping up, all at the same time. market is a joke at the moment. its a full on case of when in doubt, BUY EVERYTHING

Well, I don't know what "standard action" is - I just try to read the action and react accordingly.

I made a very nice trade today long on Dow futures, but there was a very good short yesterday (didn't quite like it enough though) and another one this morning, but I was still in bed.

Maybe we have very different styles? I trade short-term so the overall direction doesn't bother me really. The last few days have been choppy, but I find that creates more opportunities and gives easy exit points.

IM doing exactly the same, markets are a joke at the moment. I leave for nepal in 2 weeks, will return to trading in a few years when its not correlation algo fed intervention central.

Who's looking after the Ferrari? Bring it down to london and i'll look after it, drive it around to keep it running etc. :devilish: Where are you going after Nepal? It's pretty nice I hear.

Sorry, just seen the extra bit at the end of your post.

I wouldn't agree that PA is ******. In fact I'd say the opposite - it's been very reliable for me recently. I took one loser, but that was a user failure, which I saw as soon as I got in. My other trades (2) have worked exactly as they should have done, and as I predicted, although on both I didn't fully capitalise. But again, that was user error in both cases. If I'd stuck to my analysis I would have been within a few points of the entire move in both cases.

PA seems to be working as well as it always does.

Sorry, just seen the extra bit at the end of your post.

I wouldn't agree that PA is ******. In fact I'd say the opposite - it's been very reliable for me recently. I took one loser, but that was a user failure, which I saw as soon as I got in. My other trades (2) have worked exactly as they should have done, and as I predicted, although on both I didn't fully capitalise. But again, that was user error in both cases. If I'd stuck to my analysis I would have been within a few points of the entire move in both cases.

PA seems to be working as well as it always does.

im not talking about spreadbetting day trading im talking about the markets as a whole,

bonds up, stocks up. bonds down stocks down, stocks up, vix up, vix down stocks down, its becoming :LOL:

Who's looking after the Ferrari? Bring it down to london and i'll look after it, drive it around to keep it running etc. :devilish: Where are you going after Nepal? It's pretty nice I hear.

putting into storage.

gona be living on the bhotse kosi doing alot of rafting on sun koshi, tamur, kali gandaki etc, treking to everest region etc. After nepal prolly go spend a season on the Zambezi in Zambia

Last edited:
im not talking about spreadbetting day trading im talking about the markets as a whole,

bonds up, stocks up. bonds down stocks down, stocks up, vix up, vix down stocks down, its becoming :LOL:

Fair enough. I don't really pay much attention to the markets as a whole, I'm just interested in trading profitably in them, so we're probably talking about different things.

I view my trading as trading orderflow, rather than stocks, futures, forex or whatever, so none of the big picture really has any effect on me. The instrument is to a large extent irrelevant, although of course markets do tend to have their individual quirks. Having said that, one can normally pick up on them pretty quickly.

I hope the markets are more suitable for you when you come back. Have you suffered some major reversals, and is that what has led to your decision, or have you just taken enough out to take some time out?

Fair enough. I don't really pay much attention to the markets as a whole, I'm just interested in trading profitably in them, so we're probably talking about different things.

I view my trading as trading orderflow, rather than stocks, futures, forex or whatever, so none of the big picture really has any effect on me. The instrument is to a large extent irrelevant, although of course markets do tend to have their individual quirks. Having said that, one can normally pick up on them pretty quickly.

I hope the markets are more suitable for you when you come back. Have you suffered some major reversals, and is that what has led to your decision, or have you just taken enough out to take some time out?

been pretty flat last couple of months now, just sick of going "wtf?!" everyday...

been pretty flat last couple of months now, just sick of going "wtf?!" everyday...

That's tough for sure. Flat periods are a real test, no doubt about it. We've all been there, the key is staying out and not just trading because that's what you do.

Without specifics, can you outline what your approach is and what markets you trade?

If conditions aren't propitious and you are confident that your system is sound, taking time away is a valid trading strategy in its own right (y).

"Round the world in 80 <<insert word that rhymes with "days" here >>?"

80 Lays? Roger your way round the globe? Oh, wait, someone's telling me it's been done. Pity......

Ok - 80 Jays - you have to find something interesting or noteworthy beginning with the letter 'J' (could have picked K I suppose), be it a person, a place, an activity etc.

Now THAT might make a good premise for a book. Or not. You decide.

Definitely do it though.

GJ

Could put an ad in the local rag. Something like -

" all round foreign plonker needs exitement "

80 Lays? Roger your way round the globe? Oh, wait, someone's telling me it's been done. Pity......

Ok - 80 Jays - you have to find something interesting or noteworthy beginning with the letter 'J' (could have picked K I suppose), be it a person, a place, an activity etc.

Now THAT might make a good premise for a book. Or not. You decide.

Definitely do it though.

GJ

In the lead of the "nonstandard" things to do is pick out a general route (for visa's etc), put up options (of destinations) for people to vote on and keep a video blog on youtube..

e.g. just arrived in Bankok (after it was chosen as an option in the previous vote), what do I do here? a) b) or c)?

(put on outrageously think geordie accent)

"Where does he go? You decide"

You should definitely go to Thailand. As they say: "A hooker a day keeps the doctor away"

Last edited:
No I only joke about brasses. Methinks Mr A. Nights has warped by online SOH tbh. I'd never have anything to do with it. I'm unbelievably straight laced. Accountant aren't I.

Served on a hot, tasty hooker?

Guess what Mr. M thinks about all day ?

Don't give up, I will give you a clue - it begins with h and ends in er

Still perplexed ?

If your average golfer doesn't slice it, he h**ks it

Oh I give up