Shares weighted average and selling

Steviejam

Hello, I'm new to Forum and looking advice.

Pretty new to trading (about 2 years) mostly buy and hold so this is a recent problem.

I have bought shares in a particular company at 3 different times with all different share price values. My problem is if I sell some of these shares, how will I know which shares are being sold off and what I actually paid for them.

I'm not worried about this for capital gains tax purposes, the profit won't be anywhere near threshold. I just want to know how this could influence future gains / profits if the weighted average share price can fluctuate.

I've scribbled this hypothetical situation.
Ignoring trading costs / stamp duty.

Say I bought shares in company X:
100 shares at £1 / share: Cost £100
Later, 100 shares at £8: Cost £800
Then, 100 shares at £10: Cost £1000

Now share value sits at £9/share and I want to take £900 during a sell. At £9 / share I'd need to sell 100 shares.

My current weighted average is: £6.33 / share (300 at cost £1900)

If I sell the 100 shares I bought at £8/share I will now hold 100@£1 and 100@£10 (weighted average now 200/£1100 initial investment = £5.50)

If I sell the 100 shares I bought at £10/share I will now hold 100 @£1 and 100@£8 ( weighted average now 200/£900 initial investment =£4.50)

Is this correct and what would this mean for future profits, breakeven point and portfolio value to share price fluctuations?

Have I got something fundamental wrong?

The way you have calculated it at £6.33 is the only sensible way of doing it in my view as it all comes down to money out and money in and that is all that matters.

You absolutely have to calculate and use the average buy prices, and when you sell your partial holding, you still record the remaining shares using the average price. otherwise your P&L will become messy and potentially inaccurate.
Further, in the event you become liable for CGT, this is the way you will need to calculate your buy price