Setting up a private sub forum

robster970

Veteren member
So is it worth setting one up to actually discuss trading, away from the tards who constantly troll decent content with their dirge? I can probably think of about 30 of the regular posters on here that are serious and approach it professionally.

I don't post that much these days but I'm pretty tired of decent discussions being trashed by goons.

Obviously lulz will be allowed.......

Useful? Waste of time? Give it a go?

Only 89 members?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I can feel that teh lulz and teh trading discussion would be strong. I would send out the special sign to tell Dash, Leopard and Arabian we are open for business....

I also think I could track down teh Bramble too....

So is it worth setting one up to actually discuss trading, away from the tards who constantly troll decent content with their dirge? I can probably think of about 30 of the regular posters on here that are serious and approach it professionally.

I don't post that much these days but I'm pretty tired of decent discussions being trashed by goons.

You being rude and insulting?Goons ?WTF!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goon

bANNING uFFENCE

Hi robster,
As you're probably aware, there are private forums on T2W already (perhaps that's the catalyst for this thread). Allow me to provide a little background to them. Firstly, they aren't really in keeping with the old ethos of T2W which is an open site with free access. 'Old' is emphasised because perhaps it's days are gone - or numbered at least - and going down the road you propose is a sensible way forward. If the 30 or so serious members you have in mind migrate to your private forum - would they continue to post on the main boards - or would they be abandoned to become a playground for the 'goons'? Bit of a tricky one! The other point about private forums is they are often set up to discuss proprietary techniques that members of the forum have paid for - therefore it would be inappropriate to discuss them on the main boards. That's an obvious reason for allowing them and the hope is that those members would also participate in discussions on the main boards. Presumably, this wouldn't apply in your case.

This subject has cropped up in the past and, if I remember rightly, I think one option was to offer a member with your standing certain moderation privileges and/or the possibility of additional Mod' support. The problem with the former is it's open to abuse (not in your case, obviously, but generally), and the latter option puts additional pressure on an already overstretched Mod' team. I well understand your concern, as your 'Trade What You See' thread has - to use your own words - been well and truly mullered in the last few days. I'll make Steve and the Mods aware of this thread so that, hopefully, they'll chip in and we can try and get something sorted. Trust me when I say that I really do understand your frustration.

Oh, one more thing: I hope - in your eyes anyway - I'm not one of the goons!
:p
Tim.

@Tim - I'll PM you tomorrow - I do understand the content problem this would pose for you. I also don't think Mod rights is the answer to this either but thanks for the offer. Will think about this overnight a little more and come up with something considered.

e2a - the problem is not one of account size/method - everybody starts small and we're all in different phases and have different beliefs in how to do this. The problem is one of attitude, professionalism and respect for one another. I'm pretty sure that somebody doing £1pp on IG but taking it seriously is going to be supported by those further down the line. I think you get my drift.....

Last edited:

Yeah, it's extremely bloody tiresome.

I've suggested previously about trying a tiered forum structure...earn your stripes at the bottom and keep moving up.

eg 4 levels of forums....read privileges for all but post privileges for those who contribute and get voted upwards from those already higher.

Last edited:
Why set set up a journal, similar to Travis's journal. You set posting rights so the trolls, goons, idiots, etc, can read but not post. This seems to be the best solution that is already available without the other issues stated by Tim.

Peter

Why set set up a journal, similar to Travis's journal. You set posting rights so the trolls, goons, idiots, etc, can read but not post. This seems to be the best solution that is already available without the other issues stated by Tim.

Peter

I agree, that is probably the best solution.
That way content remains public, hence T2W don't have
the issue of content drying up to deal with.

Maybe also provide an open to all parallel thread discussing
primary thread, otherwise it becomes a closed loop, a kind of
vetting thread.

Why not just tolerate differing opinions and ban those that resort to childish & insulting behavior.

It's not a kindergarten is it?

Peter

It's not a bad idea Pete but I was looking for an area where anybody invited could start threads too and it act like a normal area of the boards. To a greater extent I'm not bothered about the content being public either but understand that T2W would need this...

How about you have an area called the sand-pit.

You could put some slides in, some brightly colored balls, some climbing frames etc.

Put all the kiddies in there and let the grown ups post on the rest of the forum...

How about you have an area called the sand-pit.

You could put some slides in, some brightly colored balls, some climbing frames etc.

Put all the kiddies in there and let the grown ups post on the rest of the forum...

That's what they've been working on for the last 3 years

It seams to have attracted the kids in droves

Now the adults want a little respite

Personally, I reckon two tiered moderation is the best answer. Threads that are designated "serious discussion" threads (but who would decide that :)) would be vigorously moderated to keep it strictly on topic and free of the crap.

One other trouble is trying to cater for all tastes, For example, you say "Obviously lulz will be allowed......." but one person's enjoyable lulz is another person's irritating crap.

An outside view as a new member. I'm not convinced there is much being posted of any worth whatsoever. The regular posters that you refer to spend more time chatting about the site itself and it's structure and rules than you do about trading. I'd welcome a private forum where all the regular moaners and whiners and wannabe administrators are forced to go and leave the rest of the site to real traders who don't play for 20 to 30 pips a pop.

Personally, I reckon two tiered moderation is the best answer. Threads that are designated "serious discussion" threads (but who would decide that :)) would be vigorously moderated to keep it strictly on topic and free of the crap.

One other trouble is trying to cater for all tastes, For example, you say "Obviously lulz will be allowed......." but one person's enjoyable lulz is another person's irritating crap.

Hi Jon, and all that are interested,

Going back to the good old days when T2W had 5k viewers as to the usual now 1k or less at any point during the day I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at what used to be and compare against what is now.

In short there is too much lulz and derailing, p1sstakers and the like. When I first joined here (and I came from a different forum), I joined because of its serious discussions. Yes, there should be lulz but that is what the foyer and joke of the day threads are for.

There are just too many 5 mile snipers here now. Some of the big greats started commenting years back that T2W was going down hill. Why didn't we listen then, well....we cant turn back the clock but we can take action today.

We need more of what people come here for in the first place. If people want to be taken the p1ss out of or attacked then they'll strip naked in the lions pit of a zoo. If people want jokes and luls I expect that they'll probably look elsewhere for this.

There will always be the shoot out when a vendor crosses the line or when the absurd need a kicking back into reality and this is somewhat accepted, however, its the gang mentality that has clearly got out of control and even worse still - I doubt these gang members can actually trade (taking money out not topping up). either way they are no help whatsoever and are destroying the site. Get rid of a few to get the many. I personally believe that the site has gotten scared of chopping a few necks due to losing there (pointless) post counts.

This is a trading forum......Where people come to learn about trading and be accepted, new and old, experienced or not. It would seem some on here are the aggressive angry drivers constantly beeping and harassing behind the other vehicle on the way to work, we should remember that we are all different in trading styles and beliefs, if we don't want to help then we should bugger off somewhere else.

T2W needs to get back the magic and purpose that Sharky built this place for.

My 5 cents,

Lee

My personal experience of the more professional end of the participants on here is that we tend to have the same propensity for lulz and respect both the use of the ROFLcopter and say for example, BBMAC's amusing anecdotes which require a degree of intelligence and appreciation of subtle wit......

When we play together, we play nicely but when we knuckle down, we all generally respect that is what is going on. We can read what is going on.

lee

Agree with most of that. At the end of the day T2W can only be as good as its members allow it to be and it's the members who make it or break it. In the days you talk of, members who were traders wanted to talk about trading, now many of them just seem to want to pass the time of day to relieve their boredom. As predicabo says above, there's likely to be far more contribution to threads like this than one started about actual trading.

There was also a strong willingness from the experienced to help the inexperienced which seems absent nowadays.

Obviously policy and moderation have played their part in the different atmosphere that abounds but, as I said, it's only really the members who can change that.

There was also a strong willingness from the experienced to help the inexperienced which seems absent nowadays.

I completely disagree. The willingness is still here but t2w continues to let too many knobheads post dozens of garbage threads or even many threads where the OP never returns to answer but sontinues posting new threads. There are so many of them we don't bother posting anything significant anymore, just resort to lulz. Why waste the time and effort?

Peter