S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

Are you watching formula 1 ?

Even Ron Howard ( Cunningham ) is here !

Michael Schu is coming back into the top spots !! He is great at the mechanics of speed as well as the driving !

Are you watching formula 1 ?
Even Ron Howard ( Cunningham ) is here !

I saw yesterday on the qualifying that Ron Howard is there as he is promoting a new film called Rush that he's made about formula 1's rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt in the 1970s.

Re: W/E 25/5/12 - Results

What an interesting week. As consensus polarised towards a short term low being set with high volumes towards the end of last week, the market still struggled to make it materially higher with sellers coming back into the mix mid week on the back of Euro default looming closer for the cradle of modern civilisation. The 1317.82 finish nicely reflects the mixed nature of the bull and bears fighting.

Nevertheless the ups had it this week with our Eurovision Song Contest equivalents of Sweden, Russia & Serbia being:

1) Gaffs1964 - 1315 (-2.82)
2) samspade79 - 1325 (7.18)
3) hwsteele - 1327 (9.18)

Well done to Gaffs for the the win and good call on a tricky week and to our other two trading chanteuses, sam and hwsteele for getting a podium :clap::clap::clap::clover::clover::clover:

Now the serious business of the leaderboard. Atilla is still maintaining his lead despite an off week with the gaggle still within spitting distance of taking the lead off him. If the market continues to range, will Atilla's TA fall over in a heap?

Link to full results

Congrats to the other winners...
Thanks for the kind words, I think.
If you ever want to make money Rob you need to publish a book of Adjectives.
Something along the lines of "How To Say What You Mean So No One And Every One Will Understand You All At Once!"
I'm telling you dude you would make a lot of money!
That being said I'm glad I didn't pick the number you did last week.
I almost did.:eek:
I do believe that the market will move down longer term but I'm not sure that it will be back down by the end of the week. Hmm...

I will say 1288 for next Friday. First day of June.

Looks like another tough week ahead. I'm going with 1250 again. Thanks Rob! And good luck to everyone!

If you ever want to make money Rob you need to publish a book of Adjectives.
Something along the lines of "How To Say What You Mean So No One And Every One Will Understand You All At Once!"
I'm telling you dude you would make a lot of money!
That being said I'm glad I didn't pick the number you did last week.
I almost did.:eek:
I do believe that the market will move down longer term but I'm not sure that it will be back down by the end of the week. Hmm...

I will say 1288 for next Friday. First day of June.

LOL hw - I do quite enjoy thinking of apt descriptions that might seem simultaneously obtuse and amusing. I figure that if people are prepared to play with regularity then I might as well try and provide some additional value outside of doing the maths.

As for last weeks selection, maybe we should swap predictions for lulz and see how we get on :p

I have no idea where it's going this week, so I'll just go with my favourite gamer number -- 1337.

LOL hw - I do quite enjoy thinking of apt descriptions that might seem simultaneously obtuse and amusing. I figure that if people are prepared to play with regularity then I might as well try and provide some additional value outside of doing the maths.

As for last weeks selection, maybe we should swap predictions for lulz and see how we get on :p

Interesting concept having other people pick our numbers.
I'll let you know next Friday what I think about that.:cheesy:

Rules of competition of S&P 500 cash

1. 1 point for getting direction correct from previous Friday close
2. Having got direction right then:-
a/ 3 points for nearest
b/ 2 points for second nearest
c/ 1 point for third nearest
3. All entries should be in by weekly opening session of US markets

GOOD LUCK

I think rule 3 says it all.

Only a 4 day week this week.

Good luck all.

Hi Rob,

As you are a bit of a whizz on Excel do you use that with NNs ?
I have been experimenting and have promising results.

Hi Rob,

As you are a bit of a whizz on Excel do you use that with NNs ?
I have been experimenting and have promising results.

I wouldn't quite describe myself as an excel whizz - I can get it to calculate stuff quite easliy but that's as far as it goes.

I've done some NN building adn training for some fairly hardcore stuff in my past but I've never tried to apply NN to trading nor got it working with excel.

Sorry Pat - no help for you at all. What's up?

I wouldn't quite describe myself as an excel whizz - I can get it to calculate stuff quite easliy but that's as far as it goes.

I've done some NN building adn training for some fairly hardcore stuff in my past but I've never tried to apply NN to trading nor got it working with excel.

What are NNs?

I hoped you might know of a NN that can download intraday data into an excel spreadsheet , then it does the calculations and makes a line on a graph.
Doing all that by hand takes so much time - well it's a bit on the late side.

I hoped you might know of a NN that can download intraday data into an excel spreadsheet , then it does the calculations and makes a line on a graph.
Doing all that by hand takes so much time - well it's a bit on the late side.

I think the process is simple enough and I use such a system when I have a quiet moment. You'll just need to find a price feed supplier that provides an excel add-in to enable that functionality. The Add-In is a must.

I've just googled it and this link came up. Excel Financial Data Add-In

smf_addin : EXCEL Stock Market Functions Add-in

Please note - not recommending it or anything just stating there must be many out there. Probably needs evaluating etc.

Having said that one of my proprietry secret trading system is to baseline BTP and BUND bonds against the EURUSD. You get some very interesting chart moves. Taking trades becomes a no-brainer. Watch the squigly lines and hey presto click away. BTP is a leading indicator and it moves like wild fire. BUND v EURUSD moves have an inverse relation.

Anybody interested - this simple system is worth millions. I'm not kidding you either. :smart:

If you have the time Pat the Excel Add-In is a stellar idea and worth following up. From yours trully. (y)